close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's the deal with Linux?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Robert Mitchell, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Robert Mitchell

Robert Mitchell

I've just downloaded the live cd of Ubuntu and while I think it's great, I still don't see the why other user consider this better than Windows XP. Granted, I've not had the problems with XP that other people seem to have, but I've yet to see the advantage that Linux has over Windows.

2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

Linux is usually more stable than windows.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Stability and Security are the two biggest things. I've all but forgotten about virus scanners and spyware protection...

IGF

4. Trsnrtr

Trsnrtr

Same here. Also, every program isn't trying to take over my machine or slip some doo-hickey in where it doesn't belong, like a Yahoo toolbar or some widget that I didn't want or ask for.

5. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

I find OSX is the same. no fuss no trbl no danger

6. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

if you build your own computer, you can either pay the fee for another copy of XP or install Linux for free.

You can set it up as a firewall, web server, ftp server, email server, etc. at no additional cost.

You can optimize it to run on REALLY weak/cheap/old systems.

I like it because I find the command line easier to use than Windows' Control Panel (you can actually do a lot from the command line in Windows, but I just don't find it as intuitive).

eta: But, if you like GUI's, there is plenty of cool GUI stuff available:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4150242996870046584&q=xgl+suse&hl=en

7. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

LOL funny how Mac users are starting to sound more like Amiga users.

oops! correction. owners.

8. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

network administrators love pc's.

With a stable OS you wouldnt have a job mate!

OS X was built from a *nix kernal.

what was windows built from again? and how many lines of code in it again?

9. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Unless you drive them hard enough to appreciate the differences, you probably wouldn’t find Porsche GT3 that superior to a VW Beetle. It’s the same with PCs; the people who put the hurt on ‘em are all the more likely to spot the flaws.

Windblows -- along with everything else Microsloth has ever created –- was created for the expressed purpose of generating revenue. And Mr. Bill is content to release a product when he thinks 90% of it is working properly and then finance the creation of the updates and patches to fix the flawed 10% with the profits from the sales of the buggy v1.0.

The *NIX OSs were born as an academic exercise, created with a goal that was functional, not fiscal. Leenuks in particular has become a world-wide collaborative effort of geeks whose prime motivation is to create a superior operating system. They’ll even provide you the source code for their product and challenge you to help them improve it.

10. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I'm running the Ubuntu CD on a laptop.. and I think it's great... until I have to edit some politically explosive video for You Tube in Adobe Premier.. then Ubuntu is simply in the way.... great for surfing the net though...

But.. why is the Ubuntu CD any better than UBCD4WIN or MINIPE or Super XPE or I Have the Password or any of the other Win PE based boot CD's when it comes to surfing the net..??.. They won't run any of the Adobe apps either..

:couch:

11. Trsnrtr

Trsnrtr

My latest distro is Linux Mint. It comes with many the codecs preloaded and is based on Ubunto. It's about the easiest distro that I've ever loaded. Also, it's the first distro that found everything on my Sony laptop.