close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whats the deal with free cruises?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NateHodge, Jan 23, 2010.

1. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

Since getting engaged, we have registered at a few places. Amanda just got a voucher in the mail today for a cruise With Caribbean and a travel voucher for $1300.

The packet says, "There's no catch, you're simply responsible for port fees and government taxes of $59 PP."

It looks like only one voucher. So what's the deal with this? I have heard that in the end, you will pay more due to hidden fees and having to file it on your taxes at the end of the year or something like that. Anyone ever dealt with this?

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

They're trying to sell you timeshares.

It'll be a HIGH PRESSURE cruise. You'll always be hounded to buy, buy, buy.

Don't go, and save yourself the stress.

3. pugman

pugman

There is no such thing as a free lunch...

Do they cover the airfare? My wife and I have cruised quite a bit...what line is the cruise on?

I'd ask the line and the ship.

If it is a timeshare...I would say this: My wife and I have been on 6-7 relatively free or cheap vacations (under $400) where timeshares were pitched. Vegas twice, Florida once, AZ a few times.

RCI was extreme: 90 minutes of clapping and "yeahs"....15 minutes of a soft sell...then about 30-45 of a hard sell with a professional closer...a really hard sell. We never closed...but eventually you just need to leave.

My point is this: if you can handle the uncomfortable situation you let them put you in (in other words just keep thinking I'm not buying...I'm not buying) you can have a good time on their dime.

As for taxes--never...and I mean never give them your social security number

4. mchaley

mchaley Noobsauce

Yeah, my parents went on a cruise a while ago. They hated it. My Dad said they were hemorrhaging money.

5. 2afreedom

2afreedom

If it's anything like the "free" time share vacation weekends RUN AWAY! I tried that once and a ninety minute sales presentation became a two hour plus ordeal. They wanted me to buy a twenty thousand dollar time share on the spot-no reading the contract, no lawyers, no common sense. :wow:

6. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

The only time I went to a timeshare sales pitch, I invested 30 minutes, enjoyed the rest of the day and got over 800 bucks in freebies, including a green fee in a brand new golf course, free drinks, 3 gourmet meals, SPA...

WTF am I doing here? I'll do it again, LOL.

BTW, just say NO, NO, NO until they get tired...

7. 2afreedom

2afreedom

I am glad you enjoyed yours. We were lied to about the length of the sales pitch and it was ridiculous the way they went about trying to get you to spend that kind of money. The salespeople were desperate and rude. Not worth it for a couple of nights in a mediocre hotel.

8. pugman

pugman

Our last one the first pitch was either $34 or $39k for two weeks
    then they pitched a $27K deal with alternating 1 week/two week annual usage
    then $20K for 1 week a year

After an hour of a hard sell, we were asked to meet with a "corporate" consultant who wanted to rate the salesman's performance--in which we were asked if we would even consider a $5K/1 week a year deal.

Of course, I said all that did was get me madder as that means at $20K you were going to screw me over....no thank you.

In total: 5 hours of my time compensated me about $300 in free show tickets, a bus ride to the strip (we were in Vegas)...two meals of relatively decent food....we would do it again.

The scary thing: I was told about 1 in 4 do close.