What's the Best Health Insurance to get for Dog?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by forthehalibut, Dec 4, 2005.

1. forthehalibut

forthehalibut

What is the best company out there to go with? I am totally new to pet insurance and would like to know who has the best deal and service out there? What is a good standard plan to go with, too?

Thanks.:)

2. Eagle78101

Eagle78101

Consumer Reports offered an article on Pet Insurance awhile back. They did not recommend it, beleiving it to be a waste of money.

When we adopted two kitties from the shelter, one month of insurance was included free. Good thing, because both kittens were ill and needed tons of medicine. Insurance covered everything.

However, we dropped the policy right after that. Most of our pets are healthy and happy and insurance would be pointless.

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

Pet health insurance is a guaranteed way to cause the cost of vet care to sky rocket just like it did for human health care costs!

4. JKG

JKG

I worked at an animal hospital a few years back. The vets back then didn't really recommend the insurance unless you were doing well finacially. But, if you were doing well financially, you could probably just skip the insurance. Just didn't make sense for anyone back then (1997).

I don't know what pet insurance covers now, but back then it was limited. Check any plan for coverage.

5. forthehalibut

forthehalibut

Actually, it was gov't intervention in the health care-health insurance industry that made the costs skyrocket.

However, I really do appreciate all of your inputs. I guess it really isn't worth it. One policy does cover everything [poisoning/ingestion of foreign objects, broken bones, cancer, ect.] for $11/mo--covers up to $1000 per incident with a $100 deductable.

About the only thing we will be taking him in for, is his shots to keep him healthy. After a few thigns at work, I may need some of the same shots as well.;g

6. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

We have something similar to pet insurance on our four cats through Banfield Pet Hospital. It's more of a preventive care program than insurance, but we believe it has helped keep our pets healthier and save some money. Cost is about $25.00 per month per pet. So a $100 a month for our four.

7. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Lawyers and frivolous lawsuits caused the cost of healthcare to skyrocket.

8. Koba

Koba

Insurance for pets is ok, just read the fine print. Some policies have life time limits, some annual. Nearly all have a deductible to meet before anything is covered. For a healthy pet it's probably a waste of money, but if they get sick it helps.

9. dkbrucedvm

dkbrucedvm

Take what you would have spent on the insurance premium and put it in a savings account in your pet's name instead. You'll come out ahead, and you can keep anything left over.