close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's the best AGP video card out there now?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Soujurn, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Soujurn

Soujurn Deus Diligo USA

Now that PCIe is all the rage, what is the best, and runner up for best, AGP cards?
    I currently have a Asus A9550 and want to move up to something better to go with my new Viewsonic LCD monitor.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Well, I can tell you that a 256MB 6800GT card like mine will fill the bill nicely. The one I chose has the only sensible heatsink design I have ever seen on a vid card; this one lets heat rise!!

[​IMG]

It was only $299 at NewEgg about six months ago, and it OC's to better than Ultra clocks very well. I run it somewhat slower to extend its lifespan, since everything is running glass-smooth now, including Oblivion.

There are a couple AGP nVIDIA 7XXX cards but whenever someone needs more than a 6600/6800GT I point them toward PCIe for the added benefit of having SLI/Crossfire option later on.

If you want to spend more than $500, just build a new system starting with the MOBO/CPU/RAM and drop in a 7900GTX or two.

Otherwise, do what I did and run a 6800GT.

3. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

If it isn't out yet, there will be an nVIDIA 7900-series AGP card released soon.

I'll pass, though. As I said, SLI or Crossfire may well become mandatory for playing tomorrow's games at acceptable framerates with all the eyecandy turned up to high.

I'm thinkin' quad-SLI myself, with four 7900GTX cards running in sync...:rollsmiley: :alien: :rollsmiley: