close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whats so great about G-mail?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by 10 Ring Tao, Sep 12, 2004.

1. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao Red White Blue

I'm not quite sure I understand the Gmail bonanza going on right now. The only thing that makes it better than other web based email is that you get a gig of space for archiving emails, as opposed to 10, 50, or 100 megs on other services.

I guess I'm not all excited because I use juno, which uses a client program to access email, and then stores it on your hard drive. I also use the juno app to check a couple other pop addys, kind of like outlook. If need be, you can still check your mail from a browser.

Anything else that would make me want to get a Gmail account?

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

Nothing. THEY keep a copy of your email FOREVER. Every email is scanned contextually to pick the advertisements that you might be interested in. Seems to be an invasion of privacy.

Just get a Yahoo account. They matched GMAIL storage and don't do any scanning or archiving of your email.

3. Dead Man's Hand

Dead Man's Hand No Way to Win

Pretty interface, reminds me of the old Ebay look.

Other than that nothing other than it is new. I wanted to check it out for myself and thanks to muscles I have that opportunity. I would rate it the prettiest of all the mail services but I won't be ditching Yahoo! anytime soon for GMail. I would however rank it as kicking MSN's *** even in Beta.

4. gudel

gudel

for those who have gmail, do you get a lot of spam?

5. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao Red White Blue

Hotmail is a convoluted mess of a service. It might be ok for people who don't do anything but get and send short text only messages, and never click on links.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

I never understood why people just don't use their normal email addresses provided by their service provider. With a little forethought spam is a non-issue.

7. Dead Man's Hand

Dead Man's Hand No Way to Win

Simple, I use Y! and other online e-mail services for the sole purpose of keeping my personal e-mail address safe, spam free and for for friends and family only.

When you use an e-mail addy to sign up for Ebay, online message boards, Amazon, *insert business here* you begin to get all kinds of e-mails from them, then the spam comes rolling in on top of that. Also in the case of Ebay when you deal with people after winning an auction I would rather they have a generic e-mail address to correspond with rather than my personal addy. Also in the case of message boards lets not forget that GT was hacked not long ago and the hackers retrieved all the e-mail addy's of the members, I certainly don't want them to have my personal addy.

8. muscles

muscles CLM

cause when you decide to switch service, you loose your email address w/ that company. thats the benefit of yahoo or google or hotmail. but, along w/ that comes SPAM.

9. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

I can see that. I guess it doesn't occur to me because I don't change.

10. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Run your own web server and mail server, then you don't have to worry about someone else even being able to read your mail after transit. ;j

DanH

11. lomfs24

lomfs24

I would do that Dan but my ISP doens't think that I need more than one computer (even though I got around that) so obivously don't think that I need to host my own server(s).

As of yet, I have not gotten any spam other than the crap that goes acroos mailing lists that I am subscribed to.

12. lomfs24

lomfs24

You can send messages to trash and then you can delete them from trash. If they are in trash and are more than 30 days old they will be deleted anyway.