close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's political?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by mhogan, Sep 4, 2002.

1. mhogan

mhogan

I was wondering why a discussion on the UN is considered polictical and moved to that section but the constant Democrat bashing is not political and allowed to stay in GNG? Thanks.

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

It is a culture thing.

3. mhogan

mhogan

Okay then. We all make mistakes. I appreciate you admitting it. :)

4. G33

You misunderstood.
    That was an answer.
    I do not Mod. GNG.

5. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

The Democrat bashing which you speak of is not political...it's a sport. ;)

6. mhogan

mhogan

No, G33, I wasn't talking to you. I was TIC at the silence.

7. pistolwhipped

pistolwhipped ***FUBAR***

"Janet Reno goes Down Today" gets moved while "Bowling balls,should I have holes drilled or bowl without holes"stays. HahaHaha....what a hoot!

8. JLB

JLB WWJLBD?

I actually agree with Mhogan. Somebody is taking the news and putting it over on the political board to die. Just because a politician is mentioned in a news story, does not make it a political discussion.

9. G33

Let me rephrase: It is the Mods perception of the thread...

10. mhogan

mhogan

So let's talk about it.

I believe the intent of the removal of political threads from GNG is to try to keep some sort of peace with the ideologists. In depth discussions about which party is best is usually a waste of time and quickly becomes a peeing contest.

I don't believe the discussion on the UN would come close to this level. My feeling is that it is vogue to hate the UN on a gun message board, but very few actually understand it. When I saw one of the people that feel they hate it(but didn't even know where it was headquartered at) ask it be moved to the "Political" boards (as his way of combating the feared and unknown) I had hoped that would be seen for what it was.

I will let JLB argue for his jabbing at Democrats, Clinton and liberals as non-political. :)

I will say he is correct that items moved to the political section will die horrible deaths in other than major election years. Many of us are able to only visit a few boards every day.

Thank you for your consideration.

11. G33

mh,
    I promised to correspond with another tonight.
    Have you Private Messaged the moderators of the section in question?

In any case, my responses will be observations and not defenses. Will return.

12. mhogan

mhogan

No G33. They are reading this. No need to PM. If they feel the urge to post, they will. I'm sure they see what I'm saying. Be well.

13. G33

mh,
    As I see it, there are two areas of mental operation at work: 1. mechanics of moderating and, 2. the cultural filters.

You are probably more interested in #2, but I suspect a lot of the issue is with #1.

1. The moderators are volunteers that have different levels of time to give to the exercise of the function. In addition, the ratio of moderators to the traffic load is not balanced. For eample, two of us moderate the .357 Sig section. It is a small section by contrast to General Glocking (GG) and General Non Glocking (GNG). I have the time, usually, to open each thread and read; then move on. I can answer each private message (PM) or e-mail. The load is is workable.

On the other hand, the load in GG and GNG is shared by four people; one is no longer active and one is shared in both sections. Their PM and e-mail intake must be high given the traffic I see. From correspondence I have seen, they often make moderating moves based on the title of a thread or the first few lines in a message. I would probably do the same if I did not have adequate time. I think they do quite well on this level.

2. cont.

14. G33

cont.

Before I slide down the interesting slope in #2, I recall one more mechanical issue. Early on there were very few sections. It was decided that to ease the pressure on GG and GNG, we needed to set up further sections of special interest. This, of course, set up the consequence of a decision gate. When to move threads and what happens to the thread. Using the move function and leaving a pointer helps, but the thread quickly drops off the first page. And, once the thread is in the new and smaller section, it may get very little attention.

This raised the natural impulse to cross post, and that raised more issues about multiple postings. I have done it myself to draw attention to an event in several sections at one time. Later I go back and delete the pointer threads. When I can find them or remember.

In any case, as you can see in a recent post opening new sections is a bone to pick in-and-of itself.

cont.

15. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

since I may have been at least one mod who moved a thread to Political. He's right about the volume in GG and GNG. Because of that, there is no way I can read every post, much less every thread. Sometimes an action is determined by the first post or couple of posts, a gut feel as to where a thread belongs, or even PM's or emails from members alerting us to a possible misplaced thread.

In any event, it's not an exact science, and there is no doubt that I do and will continue to do things that some GT member or another doesn't like. That's OK, because I have a thick skin, and honestly try my best to be fair to our members, while at the same time apllying the rules, policies, and guidelines that Eric, Scott, and Sidearmor have discussed with me. Cheers. :)

16. G33

cont.

2. I have certain built in filters I see the world through. As I have read your post, I know you do also. Your post are always interesting and cause me to think and reconsider. However, because of my cultural filters, I disagree with many of your positions. No problem, I recognize what is at work there. I am quite conservative on most issues, and not at all on a few.

I do not know if that is, or is not, the case with the political issue or the bashing that occurs. It is certainly the fashion to take aim at the UN, democrats and other perceived enemies du jour.
    Observe the Smith and Wesson issue...

The top administrators and moderators share cultural backgrounds, regional influences and friendships. All, most needed for a team approach.
    As you know, the gadfly may not be present in such a setting. I tend to think that most actions are well meant. There is a reluctance, however, to confront senior members with their behavior. This I have seen first hand.

I thought the movement away from gun related issues was opening the door to problems. The consenses was that Glock Talk (GT) was a family, and other discussions were/would be fun. And, they are, but religion and politics can spoil real families, also.

The addition of paid sponsors was necessary. However, that also raised new issues. Can one speak ill of a sponsor or should it be done privately? I am still not sure on that one, but if we post pro, should we not post con also? How would others share and learn from our experiences?

My only negative interaction with Eric occurred over a sponsor that produces junk; not sure how that left the relationship. But that is at the heart of this issue is it not?

People tend to take these exchanges personally. Rather, they are transmitting communication of ideas, some firmly held.:)

I though that I would share my thoughts with you, mh. Regardless of our stances on issues, a polite and civil exchange is nice. GT was that in the beginning and it was a family; it grew and as all families do, there are/will be growing pains.

The trolls fall away pretty quickly, and the core group holds and solid new members are added. GT is still a fine place to visit. I may not always agree with management, but I can support them.

As to solutions to your initial inquiry, as others read this they may be more conscious of their actions and how they arrive at them.

Best regards,
    The Real Relic Hunter

P.S. Where are you on the death penalty...just kidding.

17. mhogan

mhogan

Well said. I strongly support the death penalty. Not kidding. :)

18. JLB

JLB WWJLBD?

Good, let's start will Clinton.

19. mhogan

mhogan

You guys have been trying for 10 years now. It's only helped him. You lucky it's against the law for him to serve more than two terms. You're the best enemies one could have. :)

20. Hank Bodmer

Hank Bodmer

Why is telling the truth "bashing"?