Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Large Frame Enthusiast ;)
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking around $1,200 new, just put in LayAway a converted G21 to 460R, (that's right, ROWLAND!:D) which has the LWD long slide conversion, 6.6" barrel, no comp or thread protector :( but also includes the original G21 45 ACP slide and barrel :D PLUS, the older 50rd boxes of Underwood 230gr (50) and 185gr JHP (50) (Johnny's Carry style) which is currently another $110 if purchased separately.

I'd like to get a few respomses then I will clue yaw in to the actual OTD price and I can even scan the layaway receipt. ;)

This was a gun I have lusted after, 460R, and I wanted a G21 as well, so it's kinda killing 2 with one rock :rofl: I'm more an S&W guy, but Glock does the large frame a bit better IMO, and Smith does not offer a 10mm yet. My first G-Series was the G20 and I promptly sneered at the 'perfection' misnomer and proceeded to make it 'more perfect' :D (still not done)

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
9,453 Posts
Good Luck in your quest. I like big bore handguns but not in a Glock. I'm too set in my ways to appreciate the conversions with what I've read and have seen.

Hope you get your price, quality and longevity from the piece.

Ps I'm a Ruger Super RedHawk guy.
Tan Revolver Trigger Beige Machine

Attachments

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
That should include reloading dies, at the very least.

Reactions: RACHIGER

·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That should include reloading dies, at the very least.
That is definitely part of the plan... ;)
I believe my lowest round count in ANY caliber is approximately 2,000 rounds, in my Tokarev stash. My desire is to have at least 1,000 rounds of each caliber, but for the Rowland, since it is a specialty caliber, I will get the reloading equipment. Makes more sense, and if I switch slides, I'm back at the 45 ACP and I do have more than the requisite minimums :D So that chassis is not useless in an SHTF situation, unless I run out of 45 ACP. Fat Chance :rofl:

·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I honestly have no idea what that would cost but I'm curious to know.
OK, it's been 10 hours, I'll spill it :D

$658 Out the Door! Can you say BARGAIN?

This is not mine, but close. I don't have the stippling or muzzle device, but it has the long slide and it is that brushed stainless type finish.

I want the same slide for my G20, I already have the 5.5" LWD barrel. Pics attached below:
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Black
Gun Firearm Trigger Line Gun accessory

·
Just sayin'
4,642 Posts
Biggest caliber I would go would be a .44 magnum (in a revolver). I don't personally see the need to get a big ass semi auto pistol. But whatever floats your boat, get it especially at that price. Enjoy and be safe.

Reactions: RACHIGER

·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if it's a bargain. You don't generally get anywhere near what you put into stuff like that.

If you like it, than its a good deal for you.
It also has the G21 slide and barrel included, I got everything for $615 plus tax.
I could likely sell it at a profit as soon as I get it out!
New Gen3 G21 is $500, dirt cheap is $400 used...
the LWD complete long slide is over $300 assembled,
the 460R kit is $387 new so I'm over a Grand, best case
building one on a used Glock21, which I did not have.
The 460R conversion was for a regular slide, BTW.

The Rowland parts alone are more than I paid for the whole setup, plus $110 in ammo, not to mention shipping. I did just fine, and yes, this is definitely something I wanted, but doubted I could ever justify if I had to get it all new! Would have been parts and pieces, not all at once like this! :D

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
You might want to look into one of those "muzzle devices" to slow that thoroughbred down a little. The long slide will help, but that barrel is also going to max out your ME.

Look up the 45 Super thread, I think they moved it to the reloading section here, a few of the guys experimented quite a bit with brakes on Super loads that were pushing Rowland levels. You want a brake, at least if you want to find your cases.. :)

PS - If it works, I think it was a good deal, oh, and get a good brake. ;)

·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might want to look into one of those "muzzle devices" to slow that thoroughbred down a little. The long slide will help, but that barrel is also going to max out your ME.

Look up the 45 Super thread, I think they moved it to the reloading section here, a few of the guys experimented quite a bit with brakes on Super loads that were pushing Rowland levels. You want a brake, at least if you want to find your cases.. :)

PS - If it works, I think it was a good deal, oh, and get a good brake. ;)
I am looking at the brake, yes... I also want the Rowland "Heavy Sights" which is a big long flat chunk of Tungsten which is notched like sights for the Glock Slides, if it is still available. Adds a good bit of slide weight. I'm also going to use the "grip void" for a weight, I think I can add 3 to 4 oz there, but that will not slow the slide any! ;)

·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LWD has the muzzle brakes, the 45 ACP version looks like the Rowland level 1 brake, and the LWD 460 brake looks very similar to the Rowland Level 2 brake. I could get the 45 ACP from LWD and match the performance of the Level 1...

I cannot use a Rowland Brake, different threads! :(

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have machined brakes for Rowland guys that are much happier with the ones I made for them than the ones supplied with kit.
As WeeWilly mentioned everything you need to know about your Rowland can be found in the 45 Super thread here in the reloading section.
With a good brake you have a POWERFUL auto on your hands that will last a looong time !

I machined a brake for a guy with the LWD longslide like yours but with a 45 ACP chamber, the loads I tested it with pushed 230 XTP's to 1427 fps avg. velocity , ejecting brass right around 2 ft.. this wasn't even a max. load!
In my 21/6.6 LWD/factory 21 slide I have pushed 335 gr. cast @ 1105 fps with cases going 5 ft. from gun.

The general rule to keep from destroying a frame is to keep brass ejection distance under 8 ft. , I prefer to play it safe , loads I shoot from my guns brass stay 4-5 ft. at most.

Another thing about brakes , for life of brake I suggest one constructed from steel as the high pressures we are dealing with in Rowland levels will shoot out the baffles rather quickly in Alum. brakes.
With the extra weight of Ls. you would not need as efficient brake but wouldn't hurt either.
There is a member on Super thread that posted about his 21, using the LWD Rowland brake .
Shooting 255 BB 45 Super loads , said it is putting brass 6-8 ft. , IMO this brake would not be enough for Rowland loads even with the long slide. Every gun seems to be a bit different but close.

Enjoy your new toy as im sure you will!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts