What's in your spare mags?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by novaDAK, Feb 8, 2010.

1. novaDAK

novaDAK

Do you carry

the same ammo that's in your carry piece,
    a different JHP,
    or FMJ?

2. MarcusT

MarcusT

I keep 2 mags for each gun Loaded with JHP's( same ammo I carry) and the rest with FMJ's for the range.

3. CC Glock

CC Glock

10 rounds of FMJ

4. G23c

G23c

all same as my carry. Winchester Ranger T.

5. Brucev

Brucev

In my G-22 is a magazine full of Rem. 180 gr. JHP. In my spare magazine are more Rem. 180 gr. JHP's. Thirty rounds of gloom and doom should be enough to settle down even the most severe Zombie invasion!

6. 481

The magazine in my Glock 17 and my first spare magazine is loaded with the Hornady 9mm 147 gr. TAP "CQ" JHP.

Second spare (if carried) is loaded with Federal 124 gr. FMJs.

If I am on long trips/cross country travel, there are an additional five 33 round magazines filled with Federal 124 gr. FMJs in my "grab & go" bag.

Total ammo load can be up to 217 rounds. :supergrin:

7. ashtxsniper

ashtxsniper TX Open Carrier

3 G22 mags loaded with 180 grn Ranger bonded/PDX1. 1 mag loaded with old carry ammo for hunting /animal defense (165grn gold dot).

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well in the 1911 45acp, 230gr FMJ. I never have any place to carry a spare mag, unless it is in a back pocket of the wranglers, or the truck.

So, If there is a all out attack. I hope I'm standing next to "Bones." ;)

I would say. "stay safe man," but you got that one under control. :wavey:

CanyonMan

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  9. fredj338

fredj338

I never really saw the point in the mega long mags. I would rather have the portability & shootability of the std length mags, JMO.
    I do carry the same ammo in my spare mag. Most of the better ammo penetrates hard barriers as well as FMJ. If the BG is hunkered down that well, I can probably get away.:duel:

10. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

My buddy has convinced me to carry 3 different loads for different purposes. Manstopper on board, ultralights for "higher risk" and FMJ to help defeat light cover in the spares. I'm not used to the idea, because I don't like carrying a double mag pouch. I think it might be a bit paranoid, or in some cases tactically incorrect, but you never know...

11. MO Fugga

BTW, I'll have my Arredondo +5 for my G20 this week, so that'll give me 36 rounds of any combination of 10mm, with only one slightly longer spare mag.

12. Nest

Nest

Carry three mags total. All three have the same ammo. Whether it's my Kimber or my G21sf, it's 200grain Hornady Tap+P. I considered different types of ammo, but decided against it for two reasons. Most shootouts will be over in just a few shots and few seconds. So most magazine changes will be to top off after the shoot out just in case. So I want the same stuff that put an end to the first shooting. Plus most wepon malfunctions are due to magazine failure, and that's the main reaosn I carry spares. So I want to be able to fix the malfunction and not handicap myself with a less than ideal round. If it is what I feel is best in my main magazine, then it's what needs to be in my spares. The final reason is that I can't see many situations where I will have time to change magazines to deal with different threats/barriers. You don't have time to rack the slide for those who carry with an empty chamber, so what would lead you to believe you have time to do a full magazine change and then chamber the new type of round?

13. 481

Sure hope so, CM, sure hope so...

The "mind-set" is courtesy of BSA ("Be prepared"). My paranoia is courtesy of many years in the field (LE) where I've seen enough to never forget what many are capable of.

Doesn't matter where you keep/carry that spare, just as long as you know its there and how to get to it.

As for "all out attacks", fortunately they are rare, but I'd hope to have you there nonetheless. More guns make for more hot lead in our favor.

Here comes the snow...:shocked:

14. fredj338

fredj338

NEST has it correct. The last thing you want to be thinking about in a gunfight is which mag has which ammo. Really, it's not a good idea. Access your ammo needs for your percieved situation & then choose ammo accordingly. For 99% of us, that is a good bonded JHP for everything.:dunno:

15. unit1069

unit1069

A different round in each magazine, so I can select whatever round best fits where I'm going without having to take the time to load the mag.

16. 481

Then don't use them.

17. MO Fugga

I keep 180 Buffalo Bore Gold Dots, and the other mag will be 135 DT, until I get more BB and 165 DT or heavier. Don't really want to carry 3 mags. And particularly do not want to carry FMJ. If they are behind cover, maybe I can get away instead of shooting through a damn minivan. Then again I rarely even carry the G20. I am gunna implement the +5 for the spare. SHTF can go down anywhere, and the extra ammo just makes sense, especially if its on the spare mag. It's not like its a 33 rounder. BTW, anybody have experience with the Arredondo +5/+4?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  18. fredj338

fredj338

Thanks, useful thought.:wavey:

19. 481

You are welcome. I am always happy to help someone "clear out the cobwebs".

In your own words-

If the purpose of a piece of equipment mystifies you, it would be most unwise to use it. If the purpose of a piece of equipment is beyond your comprehension, that does not mean that there is no one else who knows its purpose.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  20. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

I like a spare mad full of the hottest ball ammo that I can find just incase I need to shoot through sometime like a car door or a windshield.

Paul