What's going on with friends e-mail

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JBG30, Feb 26, 2010.

1. JBG30

JBG30

A few of my buddy's seem to have had their e-mail hacked. Myself and others are getting e-mail from them that they did not send. The e-mail contains just a title and a url link in the body of the message. The title and link varies depending on the address it came from. The first one I got, I did click the link but firefox blocked it as a known attack site. A search of these url's in google turns up nothing. My friends don't know what to do to correct the problem and everyone in their address book gets these e-mails. The only common thing between them is all the guys use facebook. I don't use it, I assume they somehow picked this up there. Any ideas?

2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

3. Adjuster

Adjuster

They need to run Malwarebytes full system scan to make sure they don't have a virus.

4. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

While this is a possibility, it is often not the case.

Email spoofing is done relatively easily by anyone who runs a mail server, it is often done by people in malaysian countries... if I could only show you my spam filters logs on how many of those it catches every hour. The only thing you can do (unless you own your own mail server) is just report the spam and help your email provider adapt to the ways these people are finding around spam filters.

5. Remander

Remander

It happened to me today. My yahoo account purportedly sent out some spam to all my contacts.

Same thing happened to a friend a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure how it happened.

6. JBG30

JBG30

Thanks guys.