Glock Talk banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
I heard this my whole life including from police officers I know so I am very confused on this right now. I must do search and find out what's what because I never heard anyone tell me hollow points where legal in NJ. I wish you would relax:dunno:
I also live in the philadelphia area and was always told hps in nj are a no go.
but like the poster above has stated they are only illegal if you have them while comitting a crime then they will add some nice time to your sentance. they are perfectly legal to have at your home or to use at the range. I have some friends that go over there to shoot but dont think I will be going anytime soon.

·
Banned
10,612 Posts
It is a crazy law and confusing, this is from a former NJ police officer from another forum....

You can purchase them and keep them in your home. You can use them at the range.

You cannot possess them at any other time. For example, if you have a carry permit, you cannot carry hollow point bullets in your gun.

Note that the statute makes possession of a hollow point bullet a felony. It does not mention cartridges, it bans the bullet itself. You don't even have to have a gun on you. Possession of a hollow point bullet by itself is illegal unless you meet one of the exemptions listed above. Source(s):

NJSA 2C:39-3f
28 years NJ cop

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
illegal unless you meet one of the exemptions listed above.
Second half of that sentence is the key feature. They make it blanket illegal, except for anyone legally possessing a firearm, so that they gain the ability to stack as many charges as possible on people they pick up for anything at all, or nothing.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
I heard this my whole life including from police officers I know so I am very confused on this right now. I must do search and find out what's what because I never heard anyone tell me hollow points where legal in NJ. I wish you would relax:dunno:
Sorry man but over the past couple months I've corrected several people on the law and to be honest it's getting annoying. I don't like it when bad information is thrown out like saying something isn't legal when it really is, it just annoys me to constantly repeat myself.

·
Banned
10,612 Posts
Sorry man but over the past couple months I've corrected several people on the law and to be honest it's getting annoying. I don't like it when bad information is thrown out like saying something isn't legal when it really is, it just annoys me to constantly repeat myself.
It's so crazy, I had Phila cops and every gun shop in PA always tell me NJ doesn't allow hollowpoints period and now I find out that's not true. This is like when I found out a fat white man dressed in red wearing black rubber boots was just a fat drunk at the mall:supergrin:

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
It's so crazy, I had Phila cops and every gun shop in PA always tell me NJ doesn't allow hollowpoints period and now I find out that's not true. This is like when I found out a fat white man dressed in red wearing black rubber boots was just a fat drunk at the mall:supergrin:
Yea the thing about NJ law is you're guilty unless you have an exception. It's the most retarded way I've ever heard of to have laws done, but that's how it is in this state.

·
Bliksem
4,260 Posts
Originally "bonded JHP" was a term used by Speer for their Gold Dot line of hollow point ammunition and bullets. After the FBI decided that Speer Gold Dots "won" their ammunition tests and was chosen by the FBI for their 40 S&W ammunition other law enforcement agencies wanted to use Speer Gold Dots. The problem was many agencies are required to have fair bidding for their ammunition contracts, so they couldn't name a company. What many of them ended up doing was to write the contract to be bid on for "bonded JHP" ammunition. At the time, Speer Gold Dots were the only ones with bonded JHP's. This insured that the agencies got Speer Gold Dots. This also caused the other ammunition makers to start making bonded JHP ammunition in order to bid on law enforcement agency contracts that called for bonded JHP ammunition. The early bonded JHP's were mainly heavily plated lead bullets instead of having a traditional bullet jacket. This was lower cost to produce than regular jacketed bullets. Some newer versions may use other methods and there are also bonded rifle bullets for hunting.

·
Banned
10,612 Posts
What gets me the most mad is I would love to live in NJ and I can afford it and my wife and kids love NJ but their gin laws keep me from doing it. It gets nuts, I would love to live in NJ:crying:

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
I was waiting for somebody to say that. NO, Hollow Point ammo is NOT banned in NJ!

Sometimes I think the worst gun laws in NJ are the ones people think exist but dont. They are only illegal if you have thm during the comission of a crime. YOu can buy HP ammo in any gun shop in NJ. There is nothing wrong with having it. Neve understood why so many people, including NJ people think otherwise...
Ooooo .... K! But, just so you know, I'll give you a couple of, 'for instances' of how New Jersey's law against the use of hollow point bullets during the commission of a crime actually works: (Ready?)

You're on your way to the shooting range and you get pulled over for speeding. Yup, technically, you just got caught carrying hollow points during the commission of a crime. Absurd you say! No, it's NOT absurd. Hope that you never get stopped by the wrong cop on your way to the range.

I'll give you two more examples from incidents that actually happened: A home owner shot a fellow who had broken into his home. The shooting was subsequently ruled as unjustified. The homeowner had additional charges leveled against him for shooting the burglar with hollow point bullets.

The wife of an out-of-state acquaintance of mine (A well-respected figure in shooting circles) took the kids to the, 'Great Adventure' theme park for the day. At the ticket booth she accidentally dropped her shoulder bag, and out popped her 357 Magnum revolver! (She had mistakenly forgotten to take it out of her bag and leave it at home when they drove into New Jersey.)

Her sentence? Suspended, but she was fined $5,000 dollars for carrying the gun, and $1,000 dollars extra for EACH of the six hollow point bullets inside her revolver. (And then, there was the lawyer to pay for, too.) These are true stories. I read about the first one in the Newark Star-Ledger; and I'm familiar with the family in the second story.

What gets me the most mad is I would love to live in NJ; and I can afford it; and my wife and kids love NJ but their gun laws keep me from doing it. It gets nuts, I would love to live in NJ:crying:
Quite honestly I feel exactly the same way you do. I would love to return to Northern New Jersey; but, on the one hand, real estate there has become frightfully expensive - Especially for an older couple who are, now, on fixed income - and, on the other hand, I'm not about to give up either my (supposedly inalienable) right-to-carry sidearms or any of my, 'black rifles'. Since moving to Pennsylvania that inexplicable feeling of, somehow, being an exile always seems to be with me.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.