GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for some range ammo and came across ammo on sgammo.com that was labeling as "bonded hollow point" ammo. What does mean? How is it different from regular JHP ammo?

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
The lead core is fused or "Bonded" to the outer jacket. After impact there is less chance of the core separating from the jacket. This means better weight retention and greater expansion and penetration.

Some jackets are just formed around the core and can separate after impact.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I see you live in NJ.......hollow point ammo is banned in the Nazi Republic Of Jersey.
I was waiting for somebody to say that. NO, Hollow Point ammo is NOT banned in NJ! Sometimes I think the worst gun laws in NJ are the ones people think exist but dont. They are only illegal if you have thm during the comission of a crime. YOu can buy HP ammo in any gun shop in NJ. There is nothing wrong with having it. Neve understood why so many people, including NJ people think otherwise...

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
I see you live in NJ.......hollow point ammo is banned in the Nazi Republic Of Jersey.

I wish you would stop giving out BS advice. It's legal in NJ it's just restricted. You can have it at your home and place of business as well as the range plus transport to and from those places. Self defense with it is iffy.

http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_hollow.html

·
Registered
14,547 Posts
Legal issues aside, why are you buying HP for range use? That stuff is 50% more than standard ball ammo. The paper doesn't care!

·
Decap Pin Killa
18,083 Posts
... and Bates - I would argue that bonding the jacket has nothing to do with expansion. It seems to me that would be more a function of the lead core alloy and speed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Legal issues aside, why are you buying HP for range use? That stuff is 50% more than standard ball ammo. The paper doesn't care!
Well, if you can tell me where I can find range FMJ ammo for less than $15 a box that isn't steel cased or re manufactured let me know. I'm looking for it....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Doesn't increase expansion. Does make the bullet more likely to perform as intended after going through some intermediate barriers though, mainly because a non-bonded bullet is more likely to have it's jacket shredded while passing through.

Speer Gold Dots are a bonded bullet, they basically have the jacket plated onto the core. Biggest reason to bond a bullet is to almost completely eliminate the chance of core-jacket separation.

Lots of non-bonded bullets have absolutley no issues with core jacket separation, however, and some of them like the Ranger-T and HST actually use the separate core and jacket to enhance the expansion and expanded profiles of the bullets.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Walmart has the FMJ Federal 100 packs for $26ish...

Decent enough stuff - much better than the wolf or tulla crap.
Walmart doesn't carry ammo in NJ, he'd have to go to Pa or upstate NY or Deleware to get it. Check cabelas, midwayusa, aimsurplus for WWB or for Remington ammo. You might have to send in a copy of your DL as well as your FID card to them, but only the first time. By the way Dick's has it for 15 or so but it goes on sale for cheaper.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If the alternative is range-type FMJ, for a dollar less, stick with the bonded. It's the Ranger Bonded right?

You'll have a good defense round then as well.

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
... and Bates - I would argue that bonding the jacket has nothing to do with expansion. It seems to me that would be more a function of the lead core alloy and speed.
Depends on the brand and the bullet in question. "Some" bonded rounds were designed specifically to expand and keep maximum weight. Barns had some IIRC.

·
Socially Inept
5,447 Posts
Well, if you can tell me where I can find range FMJ ammo for less than $15 a box that isn't steel cased or re manufactured let me know. I'm looking for it....
That bonded Ranger is good stuff Maynard. Can be used for self defense as well as range at that price. I'll wish I had more stashed back when it runs out. :crying: Works excellent on steel plates.

·
Banned
10,639 Posts
I wish you would stop giving out BS advice.

http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_hollow.html
I heard this my whole life including from police officers I know so I am very confused on this right now. I must do search and find out what's what because I never heard anyone tell me hollow points where legal in NJ. I wish you would relax:dunno:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts