close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whats been in your helmet?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by xring04, Apr 23, 2007.

1. xring04

xring04 On the Right.

So yesterday the wife and I are zipping down 295 here in Jacksonville. Little traffic, perfect weather, and all is right with the world.

I glance down at the speedo, and as I look up I see a huge black bug coming my way. I was doing better than 70, so I figure the monster lost his life on my manly, jacket covered chest.

Less than a half second later, I would find out how wrong I really was.

The flash of angry black wings, much like you would imagine a dragon to have, blocked my vision in my right eye. Soon the flapping of evil wings ceased and the monster walked across my nose. That’s when I realized what creature had taken up residence in my helmet.... The queen mother of evil hell spawned wasps.

Every fiber of my being wanted to scream like a little girl, and tear the helmet from my head. It was about this time that wasp started to come out of its shock from the little detour, and realized that I was the cause for its irritation.

As calmly as I could I opened my shield in an attempt to end the quarrel and free the beast. Even in the face of 70mph winds the wasp held her ground still desiring to occupy my helmet, and sting my tender facial flesh.

At this point I would like to thanks to Alpine Star gloves. After realizing that there would be no peaceful way to remove my helmet squatter, I utilized my glove to squish the evil one.

Upon showing my wife vansquished foe, she replied with an "ewwww", but I know she was impressed.

So has anyone else had any unwanted helmet visitors?

2. 357glocker

357glocker

:laughabove:
    A good can of wasp spray knocks them down quick, I'd suggest to close your eyes first though before you have the wife reach around and spray:animlol: A good signal to have her react in this situation is wildly swinging your arms every which way and a few knee jerk kicks. This can normally be accomplished without much practice and comes natural to most.
    My buddy caught a wasp through his sleeve last summer. I'm suprised he kept the bike up!

3. PBCounty

PBCounty

Once took a break on a trail to have something to eat / drink from my pack. I set my helmet on the dirt for the few minutes I was stopped. Suited back up and continued only to find out I had set my helmet right onto an ant-pile, the red kind. Some even got in my ears before I could stop and get that thing off my head.

4. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

Of My Neck stand Straight UP. It seems ,I have caught a Stinger almost
    everywhere else but in the Helmet area. No offence, you handled that pretty dam well. Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Even with a full face helmet, insects can somehow make it inside anyway, but not big ones like wasps and hornets though. Nonetheless I got stung by a wasp in the neck once. Full face helmet and a jacket with mandarin collar yet somehow that mutha found the 1" worth of flesh to land on and stung the living crap out of me.

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Yeah, that would suck. You know what I don't like?

I hate it when a little gnat creeps up into the helmet during a ride and somehow always finds its way to my ear. It crawls inside and wholeheartedly gives that tingling feeling. Oh it is SO irritating but focusing in on it can be hazardous and possibly even deadly.

So, what do I do? I remember Parris Island and standing at attention for endless amounts of time while the horrid sandfleas ate us alive. I recount only this, "Them sandfleas gotta eat, too."

7. xring04

xring04 On the Right.

I was wearing a full face shoei rf1000 with the shield down.

8. BCM

BCM

Iv'e had a few flying demons make their way into an open shield, nothing major but once took a june bug off the upper chest at 70 wearing a thin dress leather vs. todays riding gear(my first bike, borrowed jacket) left me breathless for a few minutes and baseball size bruise for more then a week. also on a hot day, peeled the jacket off and w/ only a t-shirt saw a bug heading for me, quick tip of my head, thought I missed it, only to be stung on the back about 20 min later, nothing I could do then, just kept riding LOL

9. Ralphumor

Ralphumor NRA Life Member

I have had to make the choice. What is going to hurt worse, the pavement and dealing with insurance and missed work, or getting bit. So far I have not been bit or stung. I have managed to stop and rip the helment off and free the little bugs. No wasp thank God. You did well!

10. hank327

hank327

Large insects can get inside a closed full face helmet. Once while riding along, I saw a large insect buzzing down the road toward me. Next thing I know there is an unhappy bumble bee inside my closed full face helmet buzzing between my nose and visor! :shocked: I was able to open my visor and instinctively turn my head to the side. The 70 mph windblast neatly plucked the bumble bee out of my helmet and I escaped without getting stung. I later read that this is the best way to clear a bug out of a full face helmet without getting stung.

11. tacoprerunner

tacoprerunner

ive never had a visitor but have been hit in the face sheild a few times by big *** bugs. my helmet is a Icon Hooligan Mainframe. it has a strip of fabric on the bottom near the chin to keep wind out from inside the face sheild but it also keeps thing from coming in to.

12. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

My first helmet was a Shoei RF-204 full face. I rode to a beach party one night in college ('81 or so?) drank way too much of way too many different liquors with beer chasers and woke up the next morning when high tide washed over me. I had to ride all the way back from Hampton Bays to NYC with the absolute worst nauseous hangover of my life. Within three minutes of getting on the Long Island Expressway all hell broke loose in my entire upper gastrointestinal track before I could pull over. I didn't even get the visor up. Yuck! HH

13. m44u

m44u

Had muddauber nests in mine.:supergrin:

14. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

as most of you know i do not wear a lid but on a tale end of our 2600 miles round trip i had my feet up on the highway pegs and for some reason only my right pant leg rolls up and a wasp went into my straight leg.. up my pants and stung me on the upper thigh.. Yeah it could have been worse, but that was pain my friend..
    wolfy

15. Ralphumor

Ralphumor NRA Life Member

RIDE MORE!! Or wear your helment when you ride! :supergrin: Or better yet ignore me and do what you want!! :supergrin: