close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's a good tent?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by J Todd, May 23, 2003.

1. J Todd

J Todd hehe, member

I'm currently shopping for a good 2 person, 4 season convertible tent. Currently looking at Eureka!, Marmot, Kelty, REI, North Face and MSR. Any brands I'm missing? What about specific models?

2. ep_shooter

ep_shooter

Depends on how much your willing to pay. North Face, which is what I have, makes good tents. But so does Kelty, Marmot, Sierra Designs, and Mountain Hardware (plus others). The Marmot Swallow was a top pick of Backpacker Magazine's "testers." But several of the others got high marks as well (Kelty Jetstream; SD Night Watch 2; MH Muir Trail). Many tents vary based on style, weight, and features. (Will there be any extended backpacking trips in the fall or winter? If not, do you really need a convertible tent? Also, if your backpacking part is not critical to your use, the weight is not a critical factor either. You must first determine what exactly you need based on what you plan on doing with it. Talk to someone who knows about tents.)

Try visiting the following sites to see what style you think you want then post a question on Backpacker's forum to see what people say about it. Then visit a local store (e.g. REI) and ask them thier opinions. Often they can be of great help.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Default.asp?wc=true
    http://www.rei.com/
    http://forums.backpacker.com/
    http://www.backpacker.com/gear/article/0,1023,1686,00.html
    Good luck.:)

3. canis latrans

canis latrans

a year ago, I bought the Eureka family dome 4XT. it's rated as three season and sleeps 4-5 (according to the shrimp who writes EVERY capacity rating for EVERY tent on the market!)

to determine the TRUE capacity of ANY tent: take the manufacturer's listed rating, divide it by two, then subtract one.

I'll be buying another Eureka tent (same model) again shortly.

Don't ask.

4. J Todd

J Todd hehe, member

Thanks, ep_shooter. Some good info there! ;c

canis, that's funny. I don't see how two people could possibly sleep/eat in one of those two person bivy tents. It would be difficult enough for one to do! :)

5. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

That reminds me of the hiking trips of my youth. There were several tents, but as soon as the first twig snapped, everyone piles into one "two man"....;f ;g

6. ep_shooter

ep_shooter

7. J Todd

J Todd hehe, member

8. Hihopoly

Hihopoly

There was a thread a year back or so on tents. I just remember Eureka tents were by far the GT favorite. Might want to do a GT search on "Eureka"...

9. ep_shooter

ep_shooter

I think it should be fine as to quality. Features my vary, but the price difference is due to "last year's model." That's how I saved money on mine. Here's one user's review from Backpacker:

Sierra Designs - Omega CD
    Overall Rating:
    Performance: I never really qualified the term "bombproof" to myself until I got the Omega. It's undeniably well-built and strong. It's also extremely light and features a TON of space. Two people fit very comfortably , and a whole crowd can cram inside for a card game (or twelve). Ventilation is fine, even on humid Florida nights, but it IS slightly on the warm side.

The Omega is, in my opinion, and like its namesake, the ultimate tent (so far). Easy to pitch, easy to carry, very flexible, and best of all, very affordable.
    Days spent testing: 10
    Locale(s): Florida
    Condition(s): Rainy and windy, and hot and humid
    Review by qirexsys, Tuesday, April 24, 2001

It pays to shop around and watch for sales or other bargains if you want to save a few bucks. Have fun.:)

10. arnold ziffle

arnold ziffle aka dingle

11. WFR

WFR

The Sierra Designs tents are well worth the money. I got 8 years of use out of an older Meteor Light and then sold it for $50.
    Mountain Hardware, Marmot and Kelty make good tents as well.
    Also check out www.reioutlet.com
    Let us know what you end up with.

12. podwich

podwich

I think they rate them by volume-you figure the top of the tent is off the floor a little so you might as well count that as usable space as well, right? ;)

13. pardey

pardey

I've had good luck with a Mountain Hardwear Skyview 2. It's about as versatile as you could ask for, and still reasonably light.

Cheers.

14. vafish

vafish

AZ,

I like the way you think.

Here's my tent: