close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

whats a good duck gun for waterfowl? (durability)

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Dec 24, 2002.

1. noway

noway

I'm getting ready to purchase a camo Benelli M1 Field or maybe the walnut stock version of the same shutgun for next season duck hunting.I'm looking for what would hold up longer for wading in wetlands and hunting ducks?

I like the walnut feel but the synthetic stock should be better for water, right ?

Also have anybody every dropped their gun in water? Hold do you carry everything out to the field, without getting it wet?

I'm looking at building a floating "camo" tug that I can pull behind me when wading in my chest waders to hold shells, hopefully ducks and other items.I saw something like this when I was in Louisanna but the hunter had his Lab on it. Look kinda funny that the dog was sitting high and dry and the hunters was up to his armpits in water.

2. Dadburn

Dadburn Millennium Member

In my oponion synthetic is the way to go.The wood will warp if subjected to enough water.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i have a 13 year old rem 870 with a wood stock. it's been through snow, ice, rain and even a quick dip in lake erie over the years. the stock is still in great shape besides a few scatches. no signs of any splitting or warping.

i've been using a product called clenzoil on metal and wood of my guns for a while. keeps rust away from the metal and helps to protect the wood. plus it makes them shiny :) a wood stock is no trouble with a little care. if it gets a good soaking, make sure it has time to dry out in a warm place. room temp, away from the fireplace or heater for a day or so will do. then put on some protectant and you're good to go. the problem comes in when water gets to part of the stock that aren't sealed with finish, so take the stock off to dry if it gets soaked.

synthetic is easier to care for, but wood looks better IMO. just a matter of personal preference.

4. jamieray

jamieray

my 870 with wood stock has been to hell and back over the last 10 years and stil kicking strong

5. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

I have a remington 870 Express...in the 15 years I have had it, it has been from sea level to 12,000 feet, 95 degrees to -30 degrees, been rained on, sleeted on, snowed on, laid on in mud pits, dropped in a river, had jelly, coffee, coke and mustard spilled on it, that I know of. It does not look great, but it sure as heck does not look like all the abuse it has had. It was responsible for delivering to me my first bull elk, my first turkey, my first goose, my first dove plus literally 100s of upland birds and waterfowl. It is 'ol reliable, never a malfunction of any kind.

It gets out maybe once or twice a year for goose hunting now. But when my son is old enough, it will also be his first shotgun.

6. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

I like my Savage/Stevens 311 shotgun. The woodstock warms up in the hands while synthetics stay cold and chill the hands.

[​IMG]

7. bcowen22001

bcowen22001

I have used a Remington 11-87 SP(special purpose)semi-auto since duck season of 1994. I hunt ducks in Central Mississippi so it is not exposed to salt water, but it has been covered in mud and dropped in the bottom of duck pits a couple of times. It finally broke on me the second day of the season this year of 2002. I took it to my gunsmith and got it repaired of under 20$. In the off season I use it for sporting clays. So the gun sees year round use. Remington now makes a 11-87 SP that shoots 3-1/2". So before you spend over a thousand dollars on a Benelli, you may want to take a look at the Remington.

8. 3MartiniLunch

3MartiniLunch Vegan Slayer

beware the newer 870 express!
    I have one of them w/ the matte finish and satin wood stock, acquired new in the early 1990's. That matte finish is a shoddy bluing job, applied over unfinished steel. I hunted pheasants in the on-and-off rain this fall (EVERYTHING-gear, me, vehicle-wet), and my 870 rusted during the 3 hr. car ride home. I don't think it would fare well near salt or brackish water.
    There are teflon coatings available, however.

9. Scott H

Scott H Guest

I've always like Ithaca for a fowl gun.

Waterfowler

Our Waterfowler model uses the rugged, all-steel, Ithaca Gun Model 37 action in a 12 Ga., 3" chamber configuration. Perfect for the new Tungsten and Matrix loadings, this model offers the features most desirable to the serious waterfowl hunter. The 28" or 30" vent-rib barrel uses a special interchangeable choke that is designed for use with both steel shot and the new Matrix or bismuth shots as well. Full-camo finish keeps visibility to an absolute minimum.

Available in 12 Ga., 3" chamber. Barrel lengths are 28" and 30".

[​IMG]

10. TowGuy

TowGuy Got Bar-B-Q?

Check out the link below. These guys know a whole lot about ducks and guns. Hope it helps!

Refuge Forum

TG

11. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Hey Noway my friend...

Got to go with the Remington 870 boys here. Can't tear the thing up...
    Lots of good guns out there.. you know that, but for the doe, the remington 870 express is one really nice gun. IMHO, mine has been like a 12 gauge "Glock,".. :) It takes everything i throw at it.

Later

CanyonMan

12. noway

noway

Every 870s that I have ever own always gets a little surface rust when just exposed to moisture.

Don't really feel comfortable and ready to fully clean a SG everytime I go wadding thru a pond or flooded field if I should ever go duck hunting in the future. The 870s are nice but I'm very hesitate to use it as a waterfowl gun.

13. Weezer

Weezer

Benelli Nova in camo. Takes 3-1/2" shells. Best pump on the market in my opinion.

14. Owen M. Eaton

Owen M. Eaton

I'm an 870 guy to the core. I hunt with Wingmasters, but have an
    express that I hunted waterfowl and upland game with for 20 years. Now I have it set up for home defense and "house gun" matches.

Yes the express finish will show rust quicker than the Wingmaster blue, but a quick wipe with a quality lubricant takes care of it.
    (I use "Proshot Frictionless Lubricant", a couple drops on the action bars also.) I know of no more reliable tool than the 870 in any model.

If I was shopping for a Benneli, I'd look seriously at the Nova.
    Cheaper than a Wingmaster, close to the price of an express, THE
    RELIABILITY OF A PUMP (Important in a duck blind) 3 1/2" chamber
    and an integral magazine cutoff! If you are loaded for ducks and
    here comes a goose you just press the cutoff button and cycle the action. You clear the chamber, but the next round in the magazine
    does not cycle up, so you can just drop a goose load in the chamber
    and slam it shut. Cool! (Almost makes me sorry I've got 25 years of
    muscle memory invested in 870s.)

If you're able to spend the bucks for a Benneli Auto think about an
    over & under. It is the only shotgun that gives you the choice of 2
    different chokes. If you are set up mod and full, but the bird gives
    you a longer than expected first shot just hit the barrel selecter
    (usually incorporated in the safety) and you can take the first shot with the tighter choke!

No one gun or action is right for everybody. If I was 20 years older I'd be shooting a model 12.

15. Racsan

Racsan

If you are looking at the Benelli Nova, make sure you get to handle one first. As the others have said, it is a fine firearm, but it is very noisy for field use. Find one, close the action and give it a quick shake. I was amazed at how much the forestock rattles. This has been the same on everyone I have seen.

16. terlingua

terlingua Senor Member

I vote Benelli Nova. I have one as well as an 870 and a Super Black Eagle.

It goes with me the most.

The rattle can be cured with an allen wrench. But, it never bothered me anyway.

17. MKII

MKII

My vote goes to 870. I have been using the same 870 since 1978 and it is used almost exclusively for all types of game. I have different barrels for different types of game. Come to Tennessee and you will not wear one out on ducks that is for sure. The state has the dates set so that you will not get enough shots to wear one out in a lifetime. Got to make sure those ducks make it to gulf area and Texas. I usually get to see a large number of ducks when I am crappie fishing at KY Lake in February well after duck season. :)

18. paulito

paulito

i'm an 870 fan too, but i also like the moss 500 and the 835 ulti mag. i love my 870 and use it all the time, but i'm not afraid to take either of my moss. anywhere. it can handle handle any weather situation i've ever been through.my 835 has the camo finish so i don't ever have to worry about scratches. i also like the synthetic stock because if i get it wet (which you proabably will if you're wading) the water won't ruin the finish. the only reason i bought the 835 was becuase it can handle 3.5 in shells. after purchasing a couple boxes of shells my wallet and my should both agreed that 3 in was big enough. so i went to purchase a model 500. it's a sweet gun! it's all black and has a ported barrel. "I" think it looks cool. the only problem i had with both of my moss. is the middle bead. i hate those! i just unscrewed it and pulled it out. good luck with whatever you get. don't forget to post a picture of whatever it is.

paulito

19. Sundog

Sundog Thread Killer

For the price you can't beat the Benelli Nova (around $300, I think).

Stoeger (owned by Benelli) makes a Super Black Eagle knockoff that's pretty cheap and is supposed to be fairly reliable. Never shot it.

I personally duck hunt with a Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard. I've had it around six or seven years, and love it. Beretta has since replaced it with the AL391, which I believe is essentially the same shotgun. I've shot alot of Remington 870's, and its as reliable as they come, but they just never felt comfortable.

20. branden

branden AMERICA **** YA

I've got a Benelli Super Black Eagle. Ive never held and operated such a fine piece of machinery. It never fails. I could put a quail load, turkey, and duck load all in the same magazine and rapid fire, and it wont hick up. If you have the money, look into it.