Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally let my CC account expire, and I'm glad. I got it when I was 18. 20% interest rate, $2000 limit, pretty basic, and pretty garbage.

I have an excellent credit score, what is the best card to go for? What I'm trying to avoid is signing up for a CC then having loads of junk mail delivered advertising more credit cards and trash like that. I just want a quality, decent interest rate credit card.

·
What's Up Dox?
6,801 Posts
The only card I kept open is the AmEx Blue. I pay it off every month in full but it pays back "points" for every dollar spent. Points can be redeemed for Gift cards and such.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
if you plan on paying it off in full every month, I like the Chase Southwest Airline card, gets free tickets.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I plan on paying it off every month.

I mainly want ease of use (i.e. paying the bill, retrieving rewards, etc) interest rates don't bother me because I will pay it off.

·
Giant Member
5,475 Posts
Cabelas.

·
Monkeyboy
6,286 Posts
Yes, I plan on paying it off every month.

I mainly want ease of use (i.e. paying the bill, retrieving rewards, etc) interest rates don't bother me because I will pay it off.
Then, why does it matter which CC you have?

·
Monkeyboy
6,286 Posts
Most all cc companies will have different bill pay online, and their reward games, etc...

·
6,997 Posts
Based on my experience, I recommend staying away from Chase.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
The only current credit card I have is thru my bank, a US Bank Platinum card. No rewards, but has a 0% 1 year intro rate, and 12.99% after that, and I don't even have good credit. Might wanna see if your bank can offer you a decent card, makes paying the bill very easy too, I just pay directly thru my online account.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Cabelas Visa

Whenever I have needed to talk with customer service, I can get a human (even one in the US) to talk to almost immediately.

One time I put a repair to my truck on it (I had cash, but I wanted to rack up those Cabelas points). It was a few thousand dollars. A Cabelas rep called me that day, just to make sure that it was a legit charge.

Cabelas points = Carhartt clothes, ammo, stuff that I actually want/need/use

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
I am a pretty big fan of Amex.

·
↓ hog hunter ↓
9,402 Posts
Then, why does it matter which CC you have?
Because they are not all equal, in fact, far from it.

Dispute resolution, customer protection, extended warranties beyond manufacturer's, customer liability minimums and limits, CS hours of operation, CS location and first language, rewards in points, air, cash, etc., rewards annual cap, security alerts, card replacement ship method, ... The list goes on and companies vary greatly.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Dispute resolution, customer protection, extended warranties beyond manufacturer's, customer liability minimums and limits, CS hours of operation, CS location and first language, rewards in points, air, cash, etc., rewards annual cap, security alerts, card replacement ship method, ... The list goes on and companies vary greatly.
Exactly.

Annual fees are a huge turn off as well.

What about Capital One?

Also, I just paid off a loan and cancelled my CC, how long will that take to show up on my credit report? Do banks update every quarter or something?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
I like cash back...we aren't big travelers.

Discover and Capitolone. Discover's program is 1% on everything, 5% on various things throughout the year like groceries and gas. With our spending it averages about 1.5% (Hey, its better than most CDs are paying)

Capitol one is 1.25%...1% on everything, then a 25% bonus once a year

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel pretty stupid. In the past 4 years I have spent over $6,000 on almost 10 separate trips from Hawaii to Florida.

I never used a frequent flier number, nor did I use a credit card that rewarded me.

Now that I'm a bit wiser on the subject (I was always taught "Credit Cards are Baaaaddd") I am just kicking myself in the ass.

·
Monkeyboy
6,286 Posts

Again, doesn't matter. All games. It's always the same. For every complaint about one cc company, there is one praising that same company.

Reactions: treg

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Exactly.

Annual fees are a huge turn off as well.

What about Capital One?

Also, I just paid off a loan and cancelled my CC, how long will that take to show up on my credit report? Do banks update every quarter or something?
Depends on the bank and institution.

Remember, reporting costs them money. Some report monthly, some quarterly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts