Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a smaller guy, but I do need to make a choice in the next few weeks... probably going to carry on my ankle, but would like your guys' input on the issue. I just recently started working patrol... Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I would look at a Kahr PM9. The revolvers while they work have a different manual of arms. KISS.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I carry a j-frame, 642, no lock, in the cargo pocket of my uniform bdus. The j-frames are GREAT back up guns, imo, if you need a back up things just got REAL bad, the revolver is reliable and is well suited for the role of a back up weapon. They are also good for off duty carry......don't forget the speed loader and speed strips.
Good luck and stay safe.

·
Zippy's Friend.
6,662 Posts
M240G in a Galco ankle holster. Don't whine about it being uncomfortable and tripping over the belt. :whistling:

But I carry a P3AT. Works for what I need.

·
Hook 'Em Up
4,212 Posts
I'll go ahead and second the Kahr PM9. I've had a K9 for the last 6 years as a BUG and love it, but have started thinking about replacing it with a PM9. They are tiny, accurate, and pack 6+1 of your favorite 9mm ammo. They're lighter and carry 2 more rounds than a comparable revolver. They are also a lot easier and faster to reload.

I'm not a fan of carrying you BUG on your ankle. Especially not if you have the option of carrying it on your vest, or in a pocket (front pants or side/slash).

A partner of mine used to carry his BUG on his ankle, and one night got into a knock-down-drag-out fight with a dirtbag. As they were rolling around, my buddy's pant leg came up, and the scumbag tried getting his BUG out. My buddy later told me the he learned it is virtually impossible to defend a BUG on your ankle like that. He had to beat the guy across the back of his head with his flashlight to keep him from using his own BUG on him.

I worked with another officer who got wedged in between 2 cars as a BG tried to crush her. She couldn't get her duty pistol out, because of the way she was pinned between the cars, and couldn't get to her BUG on her ankle. As luck would have it another officer dove into the window of the suspect's car, and was able to subdue him.

Carrying a BUG is definitely better than not carrying a BUG. I just have never been able to get comfortable with carry it on my ankle.. But that's just me.

·
JAFO
14,469 Posts
I don't think you can do much better than the 442.

·
Boomshakalaka
3,195 Posts
I love my PM9!
:agree:

LOVE my Kahr PM9. Great investment. Good back up gun...7 (6+1) rounds of 9mm and easy to hide for off duty use as well...no excuse not to have it on you.

It's shoots a lot easier than the other small semi auto's in my opinion. Better sights and more powerful than the Ruger LCP. I shoot the Kahr PM9 a lot better than the S&W airweight revolvers with 38+p...and I get 2 extra rounds and I prefer the 9mm round over the 38.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I carry a 22 for duty and my BUG is a 27 on my ankle. I'm a fan of only carrying on type of ammo for both guns and the mags for the 22 will work in the 27.

·
Methberry PD
5,738 Posts
I wouldn't ever carry a BUG on an ankle unless it was absolutely a last resort. No way to control it, makes it awkward to run, and can even come unattached from you. IWB holsters FTW!

Oh, and I carry a Rossi .357 Magnum or a Colt Cobra .38 inside my vest straps.

·
Registered
575 Posts
What's your duty weapon? Carry something with the same manual of arms.

My duty weapon is a G22. Back up is a G23, carried in a body armor holster on my weak side. I can draw with either hand. Same trigger pull, uses the same mags.

My PD does not authorize revolvers at all and has taken Kahr's off of the approved list.

·
Registered
34,535 Posts
Any J frame will do.

Maybe a K frame.

Mini or even compact Glocks have been done.

Kahr are nice too.

Walther has the PPS and of course PPKs have been around forever.

One of our guys once carried a 1911 Gov't model as a back up.

The list is essentially endless. I have gone with a 642 since I started and have toyed with mag compatible backups from time to time. I have a compact 1911 to go with my duty gun but cocked and locked in a holster on my vest seems a litle scary. I am worried about the safety coming off.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Kel Tec P11 with 12-round factory mags. They also accept S&W 5906/6906 mags. Great little guns IMO.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Colt New Agent .45 on the body armour.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The 642 and 442 are good choices. However whatever you choose make sure you can access your BUG with either hand.

·
38,473 Posts
My first BUG is a M640-1 loaded with Winchester .357 magnum 110 grain Silvertips. Then I changed to the LCP, and now the Taurus 709 Slim.

All were carried in the offside front pants pocket in a LAPD pocket holster for the J-frame or Taurus and Bianchi Pocket Change for the LCP.

Never carried a BUG on my ankle while on-duty. Too bulky. My uniform pants would look like bell bottoms to fit it.

I do carry my off-duty G26 in the Galco Ankle Glove when I wear my boot cut jeans though. I know a few guys who do carry either the G26 or G27 on their ankle while on duty in uniform.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts