close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whats a good Casting Book

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Colorado4Wheel, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I looked at Midway. They didn't have anything. What is a good book to read and learn about the ancient art of casting your own bullets.

2. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I have an old Lyman manual that has a good chapter on casting along with load data for cast bullets. It's a real good manual because it tells you everything you need to know about casting and has lots of data for cast bullet rifle loads. I'd ASSume the newer Lyman manuals have all of the same stuff.

Basically I think you're ready to cast some ingots at this point with or without a book. There is nothing to screw up as long as you don't get burned or start a fire.

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I have the current Lyman book and Lee's book. Both have sections on casting. Maybe I just need to read it all again. My stuff arrives tommorow.

4. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

My Lyman 49th has 6 pages on it

5. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE] NRA Member

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is a very good one. Not just a chapter or two, but a whole book!

[​IMG]

6. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Cool. What did you order? Your first bullets will be wrinkled. This is because the mold won't be hot enough. Just keep making bullets until they look good. Through the wrinkled bullets back in the pot. Give yourslef a big area of old towels so that when they start to look good, you can drop the good ones away from the bad ones. Once they start running good, just make that your good pile and keep them away from the bad ones. If you clutter yourelf up, they'll start to roll into each other as they start to pile up and you run out of room.

7. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sounds good Steve, what did you get.

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Thats it. I even recognize the cover. Thanks.

9. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

117892 Lee Commercial Bullet Mold Handles for 6-Cavity Lee Bullet Molds 12.99

343992 Lee Lube and Size Kit 356 Diameter $15.49

361222 Lee 4-Cavity Ingot Mold with Handle $10.49 X 2

476412 Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold TL356-124-2R 9mm Luger, 38 Super, 380 ACP (356 Diameter) 124 Grain Tumble Lube 2 Ogive Radius $34.59

595204 Lyman Lead Bullet Casting Thermometer $32.99

645810 Lee Pro 4 20 Lb Furnace 110 Volt $57.99

I have a lead on a $20 turkey cooker and a big cast iron Pot for about $20

My friend is going to make me a "Punch/rod" to replace the Lee Punch that is only meant to work on a Single Stage Press for the sizing die. That way I can hopefully use my 550 to size the bullets if needed. If I have to I will buy a single stage press or just go to his house and size bullets on his Rock Chucker and do that while I have company. So it looks like for about $220 I will be able to turn this 210 lbs of lead into a bunch of bullets.

10. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

The bullets size real fast with the Lee sizer. It's easier to stuff the bullet up into the die with your finger like a supository and and run it through with the punch than it is to place the bullet on the punch and run it up. The LLA will hold it in the die while you get your finger out of the way. In fact, there is a real good chance you won't need to size them at all.

Your cast bullet loads will be a RCH bigger in outside diameter and won't just fall into the chamber of your gun As long as they go in and out with little effort, they are good to go. You want the bullet as big as it can be and still leave you with a loaded round that will chamber. What you don't want is a bullet sized down to say 0.355 so it drops in and out of the chamber because the bullet will be undersized and likely lead like a pig.

Also, take it easy on the LLA. Especially for the first coat to just size the bullets. A little goes a long way, too much just adds to the build up in your seating die. I lightly lube them and let dry, size and lube and dry again and load them. Don't get caught up in all the OCD rituals of standing the bullets on the base etc. If you really care about how your ammo looks, you can wipe the exposed bullet nose down on the loaded rounds with a solvent dampened patch. I don't bother.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

So Wisky, your take is that "if" I need to size the bullets that they size pretty easy. If so then I will definately get him to make me a punch so I can do this all at my house on my 550.

I have been reading up on that LLA. I will try it and then the stuff that is similiar but cheaper over at the Cast Bullets forum. Thanks for the advice. I also ordered a KKM barrel. I forgot about that in my costing above. I am real curious how my loads will chamber and how long/short the throat is on this thing. I will have it end of the week or early next week.

12. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Yeah, as long as you lube the bullets with LA they size with very little effort. Some guys do it dry and I tried that and it was a real *****. I was bending my bench top getting one through the die. I tried Pledge and that wasn't much better. I was trying to get away with avoiding the smell of LA in the house but it was a losing proposition. A tiny bit of LA and the same bullets went right through the die.

The White Lable LA is just as good as the Lee stuff and much cheaper. I mix it about 50/50 with mineral spirits (paint thinner) and it doesn't need to be warmed up that way. I use a large plastic peanut butter jar about 1/2-2/3 full of bullets. I add a couple maybe three tablespoons of LA and put the lid on. Shake it around like a cocktail shaker for about 30 seconds and dump them on a cookie sheet covered with a piece of wax paper. If you can leave them outside they will dry in a day with a breeze and some sun. In the garage they take a couple of days. Don't wory about the part of the bullet on the paper that has a little bit extra LA on it. Some guys are so OCD about it they practically airbrush the stuff on trying to get it all the same.

Cold LA will be hard to get out of the bottle. Room temp or better is the way to go. Put the bottle in a hot water bath if you need to. Don't microwave it or anything, just make sure it's room temp or a little better.

13. dudel

dudel

Since you got the "TL" (Tumble Lube) moulds, you may not even have to size them. I shoot my TL boolits as cast with LLA. You might try cutting your LLA 50/50 with odorless mineral spirits. Less sticky and dries quicker.

14. PBKing

PBKing

Nice tutorial WiskyT.

If I want to store some naked bullets for an extended period of time i will take just a tiny bit of Dawn dish soap and swirl it in with a bowl full of naked bullets to use as a lube for the Lee Sizer. Just a few drops goes a long way. Size, rinse off and store. This way I can heat treat or use a diff lube if I choose.
    A light coat of LLA works best for me.
    C4W...I would look at the little Lee Single to use as a sizer. .02 of course anything you can make work is even better.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Well, my friend has a lathes. He is used to threading barrels, cutting chambers, etc. Making a punch with the base the same size as a 9mm case and the top the same size as a 9mm bullet is going to be easy for him. Knowing him, I am sure it will be gorgeous as well. Plus, If I buy a Single Stage then Dudel will be right about "everyone needs a single stage" I am not sure I can live with that ;). I can see me spending weeks rigging up something to get my 550 to do what a $25 single stage could do easily.

Wiskey, Thanks for the great write up.
    PB, Dudel, always good advice :)

16. AltiDude

AltiDude

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fly Fishing

17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Oh, Lord, another Colorado Guy talking smack. ;)

Do we know eachother? Do you shoot USPSA in Pueblo?

18. fredj338

fredj338

Bingo! Like we've been saying, everyone can use a single stage for something. I think you'll find trying to get the 550B to do this is just an exercise in futility. A cheap Lee or RCBS single stage is heavy duty enough to handle lead bullet sizing.

19. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Okay, I tried two "lubes" I had handy in the loading bunker when dry didn't work. Pledge and WD40. Neither helped much. So liquid dish soap eh? Does it interfear with the application of LA down the road? I have to cast some 358477's hopefully this weekend and I'll give it a try.

20. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Stuff came in the mail today. Interesting and exciting. Looking forward to doing this for real soon.