close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's a 1911 got on a Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by emt1581, Dec 29, 2004.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

About a year or two ago I was all set to order a 1911(A1?) Springfield Armory Millspec Stainless until I went to an IDPA match AND did some more digging.

At the match I saw 3top of the line 1911's jam and that was when experienced shooters were competing with them! So reliability doesn't seem up to par with a Glock.

I know I'm kinda playing the devils advocate here, but latly I have been REEEAAALLLLYYY tempted by the 1911.

I do need some more convincing though. I doubt I'll ever be comfortable enough to carry it, but what other reasons (SERIOUS) are there to own a 1911?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Heart of the Rockies

1. Better trigger

2. More options/more personalization

3. Slim

4. Cocked and Locked

5. More history (matters to some)

It's all personal. If you want a reliably 1911 then learn the in's-and-out's of 1911's. Realize that they take more care than Glocks.

Glocks are better at being Glocks than 1911's, but 1911's are better at being 1911's. It's personal preference more than what's "better". What's best for the LAPD SWAT team may not be what's best for the average CCL holder. What's best for Douglas County's SWAT team might not be what's best for NYPD SWAT team. Etc., etc., etc.

Think about what you need and want, and work around that.

For example, I've come to really love cocked and locked (with slide mounted safeties), so I naturally like HK USP Variant 1's and 1911's.

I really like my Glock, but I want to carry something with a safety, yet I want the gun to be thin. Hum, that's a 1911. I don't think 1911's are the best handguns; they're just what I like. People who believe in "what's best" are blinded by their own necessities or afflictions.

3. JBA111

JBA111

Hay EMT, understand this, most all feeding problems are mag related. Almost everyone uses Glock made mags. So Glock has total control over their quality. Start useing some off brand cheaper mags and see how reliablity in Glocks drops.
    Also there is ONE place and ONE company that makes Glocks. So Glock has total control on their quality.
    There are about 9 makers of 1911 today and there have been another dozen or so make them over the yrs. And there are 5 different mag makers for 1911s today and each one of them makes 3 or 4 different quality price mags.
    So you see there are LOTS of places for different levels of quality in the 1911 market today. So I tell people to learn how to look for good built 1911s. If you'll spend the time to learn how to tell what's right and what's not right, you will be paid back for your time with many years of great shooting 1911s..
    And I like being able to shoot my high quality lead bullet reloaded ammo for $6/100.
    The ballence, feel , weight , trigger of the 1911 is quite unlike any other pistol and couple it with the 45ACP power and it is just one great pistol and a pleasure to shoot.

4. SteelFrame

SteelFrame

Triplesticks just nailed it. The good news is that the 1911 has been around so long that myriad firms have taken a shot at making one, and that's the bad news too.
    The Glock is still a newbie, and when most folks buy Glock, they are buying Glock. Not some component that can be obscure in origin or of an unknown vintage.
    I've been on duty in high risk assignments since '79 and am lucky that I can carry about anything I like, and have tested many designs from the good S&W Model 19 to the newest Glocks and H&K's. But NOTHING comes close to a 1911 for me.
    But again, that's a personal thing.

5. MP1SG

MP1SG

Personal preference. I carry a G27 or a 1911, depending on what I am wearing. If I could, I would carry 1911 all of the time. Why, I like the 1911, as that was the first pistol I shot and my favorite. I understand you issues with reliability, but I think for the most part, many reliability issues (after the breakin period) are people trying to make the pistol "better". Just like my cars, I leave mine stock unless there is a need to make an change. On the other hand, I trust a Glock right out of the box.

6. SamColtFan

SamColtFan

The classic Colt Government new rollmark 1991 is about as good as it gets for under $650. Classic early twentieth century design by Mr. Browning that all others have tried to copy in one way or another. Nearly 2.7 million produced for the US military from 1911 to 1945. Hundreds of thousands produced for the commercial market. And, as originally made (tolerances not over tightened) and used in well trained hands they are very reliable.

Glocks are great. But, they aren't a 1911.

Regards,
    Sam

7. AAshooter

AAshooter

The one thing that keeps me in a 1911 besides personal preference items is the trigger. 1911 triggers can be awesome. Glocks can not.

8. Wildcard

Wildcard

A soul.

9. okie

okie GT Mayor

I shoot a bunch better with a 1911 then I do a Glock;)

10. cactusman

cactusman Ammo Squirrel

The 1911 is timeless and needless to say they have a lot of history behind them. They are easier to shoot well too, especially if you're going for tight groups and shooting at longer distances.

As for reliability, like others have said, the clone guns, guns that have been shot to death since WWII, unqualified "gunsmiths", and poor quality mags have given the 1911 a bad rap.

A new/newer Colt (say Series 70 and up in good shape) with stock parts, and good quality mags, such as a Wilson 47D is hard to beat. Try shooting one of those and you'll be very surprised at just how well it works, both in accuracy and in reliability.

11. KIDCOP

KIDCOP Rifle Master Millennium Member

Most 1911 hickup's are not the pistols fault.....it's the reloaders/Jr. gunsmiths fault.

I've shot some match tuned 1911's that never got cleaned, maybe a swab down the tube once in awhile. When they had stoppages it was due to lack of lube. Oil them down and they started runnning again.

12. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

As for the question asked, if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand. The options are endless with a 1911. As for me, all I want is for it to work. I don't care about the frills. All I want is a gun that shoots. My 1911's do that, so do my Glocks.

Everyone should have a 1911. If you want to get your feet wet, go for a Springfield parkerized GI for around $400.00. That is an inexpensive way to learn.

13. Drjones

Drjones

The reason that those 1911's jammed is because they are most likely tight, tuned "race guns." They probably have match barrels and bushings, tight slide to frame fit, etc.

The tighter you make a 1911, the more accurate it gets, but the LESS reliable it becomes.

The 1911 was originally designed as a combat sidearm, and as such, had loose tolerances to enable it to function while dirty, sandy, under-oiled, etc.

The more you deviate from the original design, the more likely you are to have problems with the 1911.

Go ahead and buy one. You won't be disappointed!

14. T.F.H

T.F.H

thats funny I usta think the samething about GLOCKS.
    get A good colt millspec and be happy.like everybody said
    A poor gun smith can rune A great 1911.go small and work up and
    lern to doit your self youlloveit;f ;a

15. RojasTKD

RojasTKD

I am begining to love my Colt Serirs '70 1911 more and more the more I shoot it. I had a little work done to it, mostly for cosmetic reasons ( ambi-safety and Brown grip safety). It shot well right out of the box. It seemd to shoot slightly high to the right, not sure it it was the gun or me. I recently put in a wilson combat group gripper full lenth guid rod (I wanted a SS rod to match the SS grip and thumb safty I had poot on.) The group gripper is said to make the gun have a consistant lock up and improve accurcy. I did't notice a difference the first time I tried it out... but the last 2 range trps it has shot some exceptionaly tight groups. Just one big hole in the target. today I shot rapid fire (better than a round per sec.) and at 15 yards I had two strings of four touching rounds. At 25 feet 6 where with in 2 inches or so from eachother.

I find it to be so very very accurate.

I like Glocks but their grip angle is too extreme for me. They just don't point well for me.

Not to mention if you into guns a 1911 is a must have in the collection. I plan to get a few more. ;)

16. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I went to the local gun shop to get a feel for a 1911...again... I seemed to have forgotten all about the lovely grip safety. Every SA/DA I own can be opperated with one hand. The feel and grip of the 1911 seemed great...until I tried to decock it. Took a few seconds before the dealer showed me how.

Any 1911's not come with a grip safety? I seem to remember there was a few, and that Brownings original design did NOT include such a device. Thanks

-Emt1581

17. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

too busy to read the thread ...........but did anybody mention the 1911 has the trigger ALL OVER the Glock???? Glocks are nice but far from the 'perfection' on the plastic box.

18. michael t

michael t

Class: The Glock hasn't any.

19. Metric

Metric

"What's a 1911 got on a Glock?"

A good 1911 will typically have the following characteristics that all will agree are advantages:

better inherent accuracy

better trigger

thinner profile

grip allows some degree of customization to the hand (grip panels and mainspring housing)

Beyond that, there is the realm of intangibles that do not jump out of the spec. sheet as obvious advantages (and some may disagree that these advantages are "real," but 1911 lovers typically agree) such as:

the weight distribution of the gun makes it an absolute natural pointer -- the feeling that it is an "extension of the hand"

fit and quality can be truly beautiful in a good 1911

Of course, the price is higher too, and you might have to pay more attention to your choice of ammo to maintain the level of reliability that you want. You just have to know if the advantages are things that you are willing to pay for...

20. Wildpony

Wildpony