Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be getting a 357 revolver as my next gun, and I am wondering. What's the recoil of a 357 like?

I am specifically interested in an Sp101, 3 inch barrel model, but they don't have to rent at any of the ranges near me, which sucks, as I would really like to try the gun out before buying. They have a 686 with a 4" barrel (if I recall correctly) and a GP100 with a 6" barrel, but no SP101. Any comparable guns with comparable recoil?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I have a 4” 686. It came with Hogue rubber grips. I put on a pair of thicker, retro “Coke” style grips. The thicker grips distributes the recoil across more of my hand and it’s more comfortable than the factory Hogues.

·
Exploring Alternate Routes
5,429 Posts
Too many variables to give you an idea if that is possible anyway.
Grip shape, barrel length, load, grip angle, all make for the total package.
What you describe may be rowdy. Depending on you, it should be manageable, but how much so is really impossible.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have a sp101 3". With the stock, small grip it is pretty stoudt. Probably wouldn't want shoot it all day with that grip.

But I put a houge rubber grip on there which was a little longer and it made it much more enjoyable to shoot full power 357.

But keep in mind, you dont need to shoot 357 all the time. You can use 38 special. Those are very light shooting.

·
Registered
707 Posts
As already said, it depends on several factors but as generic statements maybe you should start with 38spl until you get used to the difference between autos and revolvers (and there is a huge difference).

When you get the right grip (be careful with your fingers and the cylinder front side) you can start with some 357mags.

Leave the more powerful rounds (Hornadys, etc) for later since those are going to make the gun "jump"

All that said, no big deal. It kicks but still quite controllable.
Main difference: when you shoot and there is no "spring feeling", you just feel the hammer and the recoil but no other vectors interfering. When you shoot an auto again you get all those tensions in place again. (boing, clic, plac, boing, clic, plac,...)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a sp101 3". With the stock, small grip it is pretty stoudt. Probably wouldn't want shoot it all day with that grip.

But I put a houge rubber grip on there which was a little longer and it made it much more enjoyable to shoot full power 357.

But keep in mind, you dont need to shoot 357 all the time. You can use 38 special. Those are very light shooting.
Thanks all for the replies. I've never shot a revolver before. I am also planning on putting the Hogue Grips on the SP101. I have held the SP in a gun store, and did not care for the stock grips. I can see how people can get their middle fingers bashed as the rear of the trigger guard is right up against your middle finger. With the hogue, you don't have that issue.

My plan would be to shoot regular 38's and plus p's at the range, and only a few magnums. I would carry magnums, and really only shoot enough of my carry magnums to get a feel for how they shoot, recoil, any crimp jump, and that's about it. I wonder if maybe a 38 revolver would be better for me, and just loading it with plus p's to carry.

If it helps, I don't like shooting my Ruger LCP. I think it may be because of the small grip and that it just jumps in my hands.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I now own a GP100 3" in 357/38 and then purchased a Uberti 1873 lever action in the same caliber. Most times when I take them to the range, I shoot the .357 in the rifle and .38 in the revolver. I do make it a point to switch in both, however.

The 357 is very doable as long as (mentioned above), I'm not shooting 200 at a time, but it is very manageable if I shoot the .38 first then graduate to the .357.

It's a fun caliber, I love it!

·
NRA "Benefactor Life" Member
726 Posts
I may be getting a 357 revolver as my next gun, and I am wondering. What's the recoil of a 357 like?

I am specifically interested in an Sp101, 3 inch barrel model, but they don't have to rent at any of the ranges near me, which sucks, as I would really like to try the gun out before buying. They have a 686 with a 4" barrel (if I recall correctly) and a GP100 with a 6" barrel, but no SP101. Any comparable guns with comparable recoil?
I have a couple of .357 magnums, but my favorite is the S&W 686 with a 6"bbl. I removed the stock grips, which I found to be "blocky" and called Hogue Grips. I sent them an outline of my hand and ordered a set of Tulip wood, smooth with finger grooves. The finger grooves helps me maintain control and the smoothness takes away any bite from the recoil. With the .357 if you find recoil unpleasant you can modify your grips like I did or you can also shoot .38 spl.

·
Registered
910 Posts
If you reload you can also tailor make your rounds to suit your tastes & needs. For my wife in her Security Six and SP 101 I load a 158 gr. JHP to 950 FPS which is more than most 38 SPL +P offerings but is still quite mild. For my GP100 I load that same projectile to 1150 FPS which is about a 90 % load but still very manageable with follow up shots in DA.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you reload you can also tailor make your rounds to suit your tastes & needs. For my wife in her Security Six and SP 101 I load a 158 gr. JHP to 950 FPS which is more than most 38 SPL +P offerings but is still quite mild. For my GP100 I load that same projectile to 1150 FPS which is about a 90 % load but still very manageable with follow up shots in DA.
That 158grain 1,150fps load, is that a 357 or a 38? I’m looking into a very hot 38+p load that throws a 158 grain bullet at 1,085fps out of a 3” barrel.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah, there we have it.

OK, then, do not start with a .357 magnum. The nice thing about these handguns is they accept 38 special which is an easy way to work your want into it.

You should try shooting a revolver before you go out and buy one.

Frankly, I've owned a number of revolvers and aside from the novelty and fun of shooting them, I don't have any use for them.

Honestly, to me, the most fun with a revolver is a good old fashioned single action 45 Long Colt cowboy style revolver.
I would like to get a revolver, as I do have a purpose for it. I’m looking into a sort of hiking and camping gun that offers versatility in ammo choice from 38 wadcutters for target shooting or small game hunting, to medium range loads to the heavy hard cast offered from Buffalo Bore 357 and Underwood. Doesn’t matter where I’m going, on a day hike around where I live, or further north in bear country, I can have a different loads tailored for different needs, and one of the beauties of a revolver, as long as the ammo is within spec, I’tll fire. I do agree that I should try a revolver, even if it’s not the same one, maybe tryout that 686 they have at the range as it’s pretty close to the same size as the SP101.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
The sp 3'' is a very good gun, I like the old factory grips but I
have small hands. Have shot up to 187gr FNGC at 1350 fps.

Many will not shoot too many at that power level in that small
gun.

With that three inch sp and that load I would have no problem
taking deer at fifty yards, it shot that good.

If you just want to get a super gun for target shoot, hunting,
not for everyday carry, that six inch gp 100 is one of the best.

I have drilled and tapped many for a scope rail on the barrel,
low enough that you still can use the iron sights, with QD
rings you can have your cake and eat it too.

Have tested many handguns at 100 yards and the six inch GP
will shoot six shots under four inches at that range with good
loads.

·
NRA Patron Member, Blue Knights Member
670 Posts
Revolvers are really great, I grew up and trained as an adult with them. But other than a fun gun for range days or as a deep cover small reliable backup their day has come and gone for personal defence. In most cases they are heavy for a 5-6 round weapon and the 38 special is similar enough to the 9mm as to not be any advantage. 357 sized revolvers are pretty lumpy for inside the waist band carry etc. there are a few excellent deep cover pocket revolvers the best in my opinion is the Ruger LCR in 38 or 357. Taurus makes a few titanium models thAt are very light and they are magnsported as well. Whatever you buy try 38 special wadcutter target loads first then move up to 38 specials, 38+p's then the highly respected 357 mags. What does the recoil feel like? It's sort of like an orgasim for you hand. Your mind will go blank for a second!

Reactions: jmohme

·
Registered
151 Posts
I recall that a couple of us used the .357 Magnum for POST firearms qualification. That was many years ago. The two highest scores in that class were from the two guys that used the mighty .357. Heck, I even saved the paper and it is framed LOL

I don't think that the .357 recoils too much at all :) Very accurate indeed

·
Registered
19,822 Posts
The recoil of a .357 magnum round in a GP100 or 686 is very manageable. A .38 Special feels like a quick tap in a 40 ounce gun.
The recoil you'll feel in an SP101 is something else altogether. I find shooting .357 Magnum out of an SP101 to be very uncomfortable, and one of the first things I did with mine was change out the grips for a set of Pachmayr grips. After that, I felt the gun was making me flinch, so I switched over to only shooting .38 Special out of it.
Of these three guns, I prefer the GP100, Match Champion. But, the 686 and the GP100 are both very accurate. It comes down to a personal preference.
IMHO the SP101, however, would make a very poor choice for a first .357 Magnum. Recoil can be very uncomfortable, accuracy is only so-so, the rear sight is just a channel in the frame and the short barrel does not take advantage of the .357 Magnum's power potential.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts