Glock Talk banner

Whatcha think?

8K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  B.Reid 
#1 ·
I did not set up this club, but I could not resist the temptation to baptize it with the first post and thread. I had an opportunity to shoot both the FN carbine and the pistol briefly some time ago. Found both intriguing, and would like an opportunity to shoot the pistol once again.

My two questions:
(1) Does anyone think that the FN pistol has much of a civilian-commercial or military future?
(2) Will the pistol be discontinued, but the carbine live on for specialized military/police users and as a civilian-owned oddity?

#2 ·
Second post! Darn it, you beat me to the first :supergrin:

I have a PS90 and a Five-seveN. The Five-seveN is a lot of fun to shoot. I can shoot it quickly and accurately and the fireball is fun.

I'm not sure what kind of future the pistol has. FN doesn't seem to promote it or the ammo a lot, but then I think they are being conservative to help keep it from being banned.

I hope the pistol is not discontinued. Both the pistol and the carbine are an oddity to me. They are both fun and should do reasonably well for self defense. If I knew I was going into harms way I would want something more powerful though.

The cartridge has potential that FN isn't using for some reason. My guess is that they don't want to increase the civilian ammo's capability of penetrating body armor.

#5 ·
My two questions:
(1) Does anyone think that the FN pistol has much of a civilian-commercial or military future?
(2) Will the pistol be discontinued, but the carbine live on for specialized military/police users and as a civilian-owned oddity?
1. A future, yes...but probably not much of one unfortunately.
2. I'm unsure.
3. I just wanted to be one of the first ten to post in the forum. :tongueout:

#10 ·
Glad to see this new section.

I prev owned a Five-Seven, and I still have a PS90.

I sold the Five Seven to help pay for a Custom 1911. It was a cool gun, but I don't miss it. I never could get it to shoot as accurately on paper as I could other guns. I've seen others report the same issues.

Granted, I could hit the target, just not the center of it all the time. There seems to be some variation in the POI. I also read a magazine article recently, and the writer commented on the way rounds would form a string or a line. He thought itw as odd too.

But, I do not have that issue with my PS90, and I love that gun!

#11 · (Edited)
Glad to see this club! Bought a 57 pistol recently - have only had one chance to shoot it tho. Generated some brass to reload so we'll try some home-brew next time. Did not get the impression that the factory ammo was all that accurate.
The box the pistol came in sure was big enuf.
Factory round, fired brass, re-sized bass. Notice how much the shoulder moved upon firing. Don't think we'll get many reloads from that brass.

dave - or is it the pistol?

Attachments

#12 ·
The pistol has only a limited future in any market. Since it has no serious competition, it will continue to be profitable for FN to sell it. The high profit margin helps here.

Lacking gov't interference, the pistol will not be discontinued. The PS-90 has a bright future in the commercial market.

OF course, I was the one that said this new fangled smokeless powder was just a passing fad. Seems like it is here to stay now.

#13 ·
SunsetMan,

I presume that you know all about ATP just south of your town. I think that you're lucky! I stop there at least once on every Charleston visit. Do you know if they will rent out a 5.7 pistol to use at their indoor range? This curious "hobby-ist" from the Upcountry wants to know!

#16 · (Edited)
SunsetMan,

I presume that you know all about ATP just south of your town. I think that you're lucky! I stop there at least once on every Charleston visit. Do you know if they will rent out a 5.7 pistol to use at their indoor range? This curious "hobby-ist" from the Upcountry wants to know!
Hey perfesser! I've been to ATP a few times. They seem a bit pricey, but it sure is fun to look at the selection. They do class 3 and I believe they rent class 3 too. Every fun shop should have some suppressors behind the glass.

I saw someone pick up a wicked looking Saiga SBR shotty a while back :supergrin:

I don't know if they will rent a Five-seveN or not.

Are there any other gun stores I should visit nearby? I'm fairly new here. I was in Columbus, GA and can heartily recommend Barrow's in Butler, GA. The gun part of the store is in the back of a Napa car parts store. They have a great selection and prices. No class 3 though.

#17 ·
SunsetMan,

ATP also has good prices on quality SD ammo, and their indoor range is very good. It would be good to find a place that rented the Five-seveN for prospective buyers. It is different enough to warrant some hands-on promotion.

As for other Charleston-area shops, I'll have to ask my relatives who live down there....

#20 ·
Glad to see this club! Bought a 57 pistol recently - have only had one chance to shoot it tho. Generated some brass to reload so we'll try some home-brew next time. Did not get the impression that the factory ammo was all that accurate.
The box the pistol came in sure was big enuf.
Factory round, fired brass, re-sized bass. Notice how much the shoulder moved upon firing. Don't think we'll get many reloads from that brass.

dave - or is it the pistol?

Nice box.:whistling:

Mine did not have the blue inside, plus it was foam lined. What gives, Man?

#23 ·
It would be nice to have a 5.7 glock the size of a 23 and ammo around 10 bucks a box. I guess I should wake up now.
As the OP, I guess it's my right to chime in a few weeks shy of the first anniversary of the inauguration of the 5.7x28 club/subforum and this, its earliest thread.

In the meantime, my friend sold his 5.7 FN pistol, but kept the carbine. Have not had a chance for a second outing.

And I notice that FN keeps dropping a lot of money on gunzine print advertisement for the pistol. (Funny -- they never push High Power ads at all......!) So I guess that FN is selling a large number of the pistols?

Roughedgekid's comment was thought-provoking. Why hasn't some other manufacturer chambered a quality firearm in 5.7x28 that doesn't cost almost $1000? Does such a market niche exist?

I wish I understood more regarding the production costs of mass-produced firearms......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.