Whataburger Has New Policy That’s Affecting Gun Carrying Customers

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by El Pistolero, Jul 13, 2019.

1. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

By not posting the sign it gives the manager the freedom to decide whether or not to ask individuals to Cover up based on a quick evaluation of the overall situation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Arklay Ishimura likes this.
  2. mc1911

mc1911

My concern is what does displayed mean. Concealed carry that shows some printing etc?

3. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Don't cherry pick and don't troll. If you don't understand that is your fault. Being what you are being is very unbecoming. You know you're wrong, just trying to say it the loudest and most often to have your way. DU is 30 blocks to the left, and looking for you.
    Don't want carry, place the sign.
    Don't want to confront, place the sign.
    Want the policy enforceable? Place the sign. Otherwise you have to address each individual incident, but can't do anything other than ask them to leave.
    Don't want anyone to know your policy? Well, there you go.
    Are you trying to hide the policy from patrons?
    Ashamed to be so Liberal?
    Think your policy might hurt business?
    Why hide your policy that you believe in so much? That is my point.
    I don't patronize Whataburger, and haven't in 20 or more years. Too overpriced for what you get. If I want to spend $10+ on a burger and fries, there are plenty of places with much better in flavor and size. For fast(ish) food they are ok, but not worth the $$.
    I only live an hour from Dallas, and yes, it is rare to see open carry.

Arklay Ishimura likes this.
  4. cyphertext

cyphertext

I'm not wrong, nor am I cherry picking or trolling.... you are correct that if they don't want to ask patrons who OC to leave, they should post. However, if they would rather address the rare event vs. hanging a big, ugly sign, they can do that. Walk past the sign and it is a class C misdemeanor. Don't leave when given verbal notice, it is class A. So it does appear that verbal notice carries more weight. Both are ways of effective notice under the law, and both are enforceable.
    As to why a business doesn't want to post it... window space... Which would I rather my patrons see on their way in, my advertisement for my special burger combo, or a big 30.07 sign? They really aren't worried about those they offend by not posting. Less that 5% of Texas residents have a license to carry... and a very small percentage of those actually OC. Very small subset of customers.

5. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

Minority whiners demanding special treatment? Dont want to be treated like an adult by face to face conversation. Not are the usual GT suspects.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6. blackjack

blackjack

cbetts1 and Arklay Ishimura like this.
  7. cbetts1

cbetts1

I live in TX. I rarely see people open carry. When I do it’s usually (99%) a over weight person of moderate dress/income with a crappy holster with no retention. They usually have this look at me , look at me attitude.

I never see a well dressed upper class type person with a high end holster , open carry.

In AZ, I used to see all walks of life open carry with all types of holsters.

Just an observation.

8. cbetts1

cbetts1

I wasn’t born in TX but I have spent a lot of time in Whataburger. It was the only restaurant open after football games for a long time, in my town. It is as cultural to TX as Friday night football.

We finally got a Chick fil A not far away. We don’t frequent the W as much.

Very disappointed to hear this news. There are many people with tons of money that are looking for places to invest. They throw large amounts of money at a business , that can’t be refused.

Hopefully the family continues to run it , otherwise it will fail like dozens of burger joints around the country.

Same thing happened to another company in town, Yeti.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    blackjack likes this.
  9. Arklay Ishimura

Arklay Ishimura Relocating to Missouri if God allows.

blackjack likes this.
  10. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

People seemingly want to make this stuff personal, its not.

If they didn't post signs.. so what. If they didn't post signs- common sense would demand you have no actionable grudge against a person who walked in there open carrying. That said, you can still ask him/her to leave and (again) common sense would demand that the person leave.

We are grown men/women... we can go eat and spend our money somewhere else. If a burger joint doesn't want firearms on the premises, fine.. I aint mad at them. Its their place, not mine and I don't really care about the who, what and why. I either take the gun off and secure it somewhere off the premises or I go eat somewhere else, that's it.

11. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

blackjack likes this.
  12. rearnold50

rearnold50

I don't open carry, but I do ware my red hat "Trump 2020" has the same effect on Libs.

cbetts1, mj9mm and blackjack like this.
  13. Low_Speed

Low_Speed

Because he or she wants to should be good enough. As long as it’s holstered why should you or anyone else have a right to tell someone how to carry if it’s legal?

Your unreasonable fear is not his/her responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Low_Speed

Low_Speed

It’s really not yours, mine or anyone else’s business to tell people how to carry. People have other reasons on why they open carry than trying to impress.

If Whataburger doesn’t want people open carrying then they should properly notify with proper signage.

15. Low_Speed

Low_Speed

Doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t. It may not be necessary for all but it’s a choice for everyone.

16. Low_Speed

Low_Speed

Luckily, walking around with fixed blades are legal in Texas. You know the best way to reduce fear and anxiety about something like seeing people with holstered guns and fixed blade is to normalize it by seeing people carry them on w regular basis.

mj9mm likes this.
  17. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

So you carry in your Purse?:ender:

18. Low_Speed

Low_Speed

Yeah, uhmmm.....no. In this heat??

19. Low_Speed

Low_Speed

They should be put in that position to post it because that’s the law. If you don’t want a certain type is carry or no carry at all then it is your duty to notify.

I’d rather them put up a sign so that I know where not to put my money just like I don’t go to movies where anti-gun hypocrites star in them.

20. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

But if there is a sign, it will most likely apply to concealed carry as well. Then it becomes illegal to do so.

I would rather be told and leave then have a sign and get arrested if I didn’t see it or ignored it