Glock Talk banner

What year did you go through Boot Camp? Platoon #

199709 Views 565 Replies 388 Participants Last post by  wagsfn
Wondering if anyone when through with me.

MCRA San Diego

Class of 65 Platoon 148
:whistling:
Reactions: Ghost doctor
541 - 560 of 566 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
MCRDPI
2bn
F Co
Plt 2035
SDI Ssgt Ayala
DI Sgt Wright
DI Sgt Charette

Arrived at PI at the end of May and graduated in August. Man was it hot and humid, the sand fleas were ferocious! I had to go to the BAS because the tips of my ears were blistered from sunburn. Semper Fidelis brothers...

· USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,622 Posts
MCRDPI
2bn
F Co
Plt 2035
SDI Ssgt Ayala
DI Sgt Wright
DI Sgt Charette

Arrived at PI at the end of May and graduated in August. Man was it hot and humid, the sand fleas were ferocious! I had to go to the BAS because the tips of my ears were blistered from sunburn. Semper Fidelis brothers...
What year? I just returned from a visit to PI a few weeks ago. Just so you know, it is still very hot, still very humid, and the sand fleas remain. Although on this visit I was able to swat them.

· Registered
2 Posts
Aug-Nov 2001
Alpha Co Platoon 1006
MCRDS

Those are the dates I was stationed at MCRD SD, worked for the property control office, supply. Although I was there much longer then that, ugh. Stationed there that is.

Went through bootcamp from Jan. 16, 2001-Apr. 13, 2001, MCRDSD, 1st Recruit Training Battalion, Alpha Company, Platoon 1138, San Diego, CA 92140.

SDI SSgt Pritchard
JDI SSgt Latimer
DI SSgt Berold
DI SSgt Reid

I remember looking across the squadbay at the airport at night then looking out my porthole across the parade deck wondering WTF was over there. For being in San Diego I was always freezing my buttocks off. Later on I was stationed there, the base still sucked but I got to see a different side of being a Drill Instructor. When they would arrive fresh from the fleet and go through DI school they were always hardcore and would give you crap constantly. After a year of being a DI they would come down to my warehouse begging for campaign cover hookups since they could never get a letter from their CO to get one then they would sleep in the OP cage (Where we kept all of the issue gear that went to DI's... Campaign covers, short and long sleeve khaki shirts, cammies, swords, pt shirts, belts, buckles, EGA's for cover, and thats about all they get). These Marines always remained hard in front of their recruits but I got to see a different side of them so it was a great experience for me. When one of my own DI's, SSgt Berold, was checking out of the depot, he came to me and thanked me for everything I had done for him since I had been stationed there. He then ripped the nametag off of his cammies and handed it to me and left. (Of course he didn't walk out in those same cammies!) That was a huge moment for me because he was the Drill Instructor who beat my squad through the Crucible and then on top of the Reaper he gave me my Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. I respected him more than any other DI I had, not just because he punched me in my throat for coming up behind him too fast, or because him saying "you piece of ****" with his Australian accent made me laught inside, but he was hard, and twice I stood face to face with him where he first told me I would make an awesome f-ing marine, then he later thanked me for the things I had done for him, and both times he gave me something that brought a sense of pride over me. These are the moments I will never forget. Happy Belated Birthday Marines and Happy Veterans Day.

Ooh-Rah Marine Corps, (clap, clap) KILL!
Hey Josh - its James Miller - I was in plt in bootcamp - what's your last name - trying to remember you ! thanks man.

· Registered
4 Posts
October 1980 bad year on the island wish I never joined period. Have friends of my kids that joined and wished they never did.

Not to be super negative but the corp has changed for the worse when I was there two recruits died for no reason and the attitude of the drill instructors was horrible plus they were drunk during training plus so many more events I am surprised I graduated period. After one incident the entire platoon was given the chance to be sent home with honorable discharges so that tells you how bad it was and it was a general Kelley said this to our face 35 accepted right there I didn’t but should of.

541 - 560 of 566 Posts