What would you have issued U.S. troops and Law Enforcement.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by LEAD, Mar 24, 2010.

1. LEAD

LEAD

After reading a forum about the military contract for a sidearm, I was curious, what would you have issued American Troops with for a handgun, also if different what would you offer for choices for law enforcement.

Additionally, what would you issue for a rifle for our soldiers?

Assuming price does effect your decisions as it does our governments decision, assume prices are relative tio the prices available to civilians. Explain why you sleceted as you did if you feel you'd like to.

2. oldnoob

oldnoob

Whatever is cheap but reliable.

3. raven11

raven11

Rifles- replace them with the SCAR in 5.56 , the way i see it the MICH helmet was selectively for Special Forces then got passed down to the regulars so its only a matter of time might as well get a head start,

replace the M14 with the 7.62 SCAR- isn't that why we paid for quick caliber conversions?
    Pistols- keep the M9 or units can upgrade to the Beretta 90two
    i saw nothing mechanically wrong with the pistol just some were really beat to hell and back - i would stipulate we can send our pistols to Beretta for them to refinish the pistols every 2-4 years
    i carried mine when i deployed and never used it, and i got a marksmanship ribbon the first time around so it can't be that bad

AFOSI,NCIS , CID - they can keep their Sig 228(M11) or trade them for 229
    shotguns-same

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  4. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

In my career as a LEO I have carried a number of sidearms for duty including 1911, Beretta 92, a couple of different S&W's, H&K USP, and Glocks.

I would easily choose a Glock 22/23. They go bang when you pull the trigger, typically not ammo sensitive, accurate enough, and not too heavy for regular duty carry. I also think the .40 S&W is a good intermediate or comprimize round between the 9mm and .45 ACP.

5. bayshtyshorty

bayshtyshorty

Scar 7.62 primary and glock 23 or 38 backup

6. LEAD

LEAD

I was thinking the Scar is how I would go in terms of a rifle, issued in both 556 and 7.62

I also think Glocks would make great service weapons for both LEO and military, I would also give sigs another look, I haven't had any hands on time with the sig-pro series which would compete better in terms of price, but I love my 226.

7. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

CZ tactical sport in 9mm, and HK .45 ACP depending on the mission. If the money won't buy as many guns, give the guns to the best shots.

I'd issue .223/5.56mm and .308, ie AR-10s (or FALs if the AR sucked) .. Let the troops shoot what they can hit something with. That would include a 9mm SMG as well, for CQB.. and a mag-fed shotgun.

8. Captain Steinbrenner

Captain Steinbrenner

Selective fire SIG556 with original Swiss furniture or railed handguards and a Glock 17.:cheers::dancing:

9. arclight610

arclight610

Get rid of M4's except for special use units. Return M16's back to all the grunts. 14.5" barrel kills velocity. Replace uppers with gas-piston uppers (I know it's an option the government would never do, they would just replace the whole rifle, but just for the sake of the idea of saving taxpayer's money).

ACOGS only to designated Marksman. In the Corps, everyone gets ACOGS. Every Marine may be a rifleman, but not every Marine is a DM or Sniper... sorry fellas. It limits periphal vision and leads many guys into getting tunnel vision. (Not good).

I think the Marine Corps should get rid of the squad support weapon it is thinking of adopting and go back to the SAW. Sorry you can't lay down sustained fire with 30 rds mags, no matter how many the poor automatic rifleman has to carry. The SAW is the heart of the fireteam, bring it back. However, I think the SAW needs to be made waaaayyyyy better. The bolt carrier, pistol and the inside receiver looks like it was welded and taken to a bench grinder by 5 year olds.

M240 is a good weapon.

M2 - Research ways to make it a lighter, possibly increase ROF just a tad

MK19 - Make it not 100 lbs?

Pistol - M9 is good and reliable. Only seen 1 explode in my entire career. 9mm NATO punches through windshields and car skins pretty easy.

M1014 - Need to return back to pump shotguns. It can sometimes be unreliable and I've never encountered a situation that required me to dump 7 shells as fast as I can. Go with a Mossy 590. A pump shotgun is a pump shotgun, pretty fool-proof. I think the Mossberg is the lightest and cheapest.

M203 - Good grenade launcher. I think they should bring back the anti-personnel grenades. HEDP and HE rounds are good for up to 4 in of armor, but its not the insurgents are driving around in APC's and tanks.

M40 - I'm not a sniper, I don't know.

... as far as caliber, I don't care what all the internet commandos say. 5.56 NATO and 9 NATO are great man-stoppers. I haven't used any of the new "Marine ammo" yet.

10. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

Whatever it would be would be American made. Nazi sympathizer tupperware need not apply.:whistling:

11. ronin.45

ronin.45

I would issue hollow points to the military. The calibers we have would be perfectly capable with good ammo.

I would like to see GOOD AR's in 7.62x39. If american ammo companies made high quality, brass cased ammo it would be the best all around battle package available.

12. arclight610

arclight610

I like my Glock, great pistol...

But I have to agree, nothing says butt-kicking like Made in the USA

and also the rifles need to be able to play Toby Keith's Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue from its built in speakers

and also have secret places where Bible quotes are engraved in it

13. tx787

tx787

What about a FiveseveN and PS90 combination for domestic LE? If it's reliable enough it seems like a great choice, same ammo for both weapons, low recoil, very lightweight, thumb safety, ridiculous capacity. Could give them the full powered rounds to be more effective against crazies with body armor (even though its not armor piercing technically). It would also get them to stop buying up all the 9x19, .40 S&W and 45 ACP ammo out there too!!

14. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

15. Seawolf

Seawolf

Depends on what forum you ask the question on.

16. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

Nah, it's merely enough to not have some bad secret swastika karma disgracing our armed services.

17. fyrecrotch

fyrecrotch

Pig-fat based gun grease and the propaganda pamphlets to go with it.

(The SCAR still looks like it has a moon boot on one end of it...)

18. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

I wouldnt have anything for them but the very best.Id probably go through the military yearly budget in 1 week.I like the scar platform in 308.

Id also bring out the old m14s and scope them for marksmen,50 cal bolt action for sniper units.I agree with the earlier post on belt feds.

19. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

SCAR16 in 6.8SPC (NOT 5.56!)
    SCAR17 in 7.62 both long/scoped and med length barrel
    Win M70 in 7.62
    FNP45 to replace M9 Berretta
    Barrett 98 in 338 Lapua
    Barrett 50cal
    Keep M240 and M249 and MK19 40mm

20. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

No Glocks, the military doesnt train the majority of soldiers well enough to have a pistol with no safety. I would say a CZ would be a decent choice. Rifle the SCAR would be a good choice, to replace the M16 and the M14.