close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what would you have done?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Mountain10mm, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

Ok, so you take the family on a vacation and you are pulling into the condo. parking lot and the Secret Service pulls you over and asks you a few questions about guns and bombs. Based on the article these people had no idea that the VP was going to be in the area. What if you were carrying, maybe had a gun in the car, etc? I know I'd be honest, I don't think I'd try to hide anything, but all the sudden you are unexpectedly in the vicinity of the VP with a firearm. That can't go over well with the Secret Service. Plus if the they "take the gun for safe keeping" while the VP is in the area, how do you get it back...my guess is you would never see the gun again.

What would you have done?

BEAVER CREEK — Gabrie Higbie has been skiing at Beaver Creek for years, but Saturday's run-in with Vice President Joe Biden was one of her most exciting days on the mountain.

Higbie arrived at Beaver Creek early Saturday morning to drop off her 4-year-old son, Sam, at ski school. When her car was searched by the Secret Service and bomb-sniffing dogs, she said to her son, "Gosh, you would think the president is in town."

She found out later that it was the vice president causing all the commotion.

She was in Spruce Saddle on Beaver Creek Mountain when a friend told her that Biden was upstairs. She grabbed her friend Beth McKenzie to see if they could get a closer look.

"We were kind of scoping out the scene," Higbie said. "I pretended I was looking for someone because the Secret Service was everywhere."

She wasn't sure how close they could get, but they were determined to get their picture taken with Biden.

Read the rest of this report at VailDaily.com.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14358217?source=rss#ixzz0ez41IzDa

2. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Where do you get these ideas from?

Since when do random people get stopped by the SS as they go about their daily routine and have their gun "taken from safe keeping"?

And what makes you think that if somehow that DID happen, you would never see it again?

3. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Unless the USSS wants to follow me around the area, I would be demanding my gun every time I left the property.

4. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Tell him that you will surrender your weapon in exchange for your own Secret Service detail to be assigned to you. When your detail needs to leave, you get your weapon back.

5. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

"...since when do they stop people going about their business."

Seriously not trying to start any fights here, but apparently the Secret Services stops people going about their business when they drop their kids off at ski school. Sounds pretty benign to me. Perhaps the article got the facts wrong, but based on what was written it appears that there was no prior notice and the people were stopped "as they went about their business."

I am speculating as to what would happen if I was legally carrying in such a situation and am asking what other people would do. Sorry it didn't come up in any of my education or CCW class as to what happens when the Secret Service asks you if you have any firearms...and you answer "yes."

I am assuming the SS asked about firearms as they did search the car. What if there was a gun in the car?

6. mymini40

mymini40

Usually , security people(i.e. secret service, etc.) close off streets around the perimeter of the visit site. So, unless you were on the "invite" list, you can not go through. If you insist, then they will search. Thats it. They just dont do a search of all people in the surrounding area.

7. txinvestigator

txinvestigator

The search was of the vehicle for BOMBS. They don't disarm people carrying legally, nor do they have the authority to do so.

All of the other talk is just rhetoric. This is a non-issue

8. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Too many assumptions and variables to make any attempt at an answer worthwhile, IMO

But I'll answer anyway: I will change my plans/route and avoid the secure area where the VP happens to be visiting.

9. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

+1 on this...if I happened to know ahead of time when and where the VP was going to be.

If I did not know and stumbled across the SS wanting to search my vehicle. I would be more than obliged to let them perfom that duty after they were able to produce the proper identification.

I would be respectful and answer any questions they had honestly. I would not however let them confiscate my weapon because it would be being carried 100% legally.

10. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Well I don't have to worry about it as my state is very PROGUN and voted against the One so I say the chances of him coming here are about ZERO! Now if he happened to show up I make sure I OC'd just for him to see!:supergrin::rofl::tongueout:

11. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

well from personal exp... i used to work at a small airport with maybe 5 airline departures a day and all of a sudden one day 2 c-17s drop in and unload tons of men in casual clothes and tons of black hard cases then 3 days later airforce one lands the pres gets off does a helicopter tour of our town (because of huge wildfires in the summer) then an hour later they were gone and we were standing about 200 yards from airforce 1.... i have a few pics of me with it in the back ground. so im pretty sure ss doesnt stop your car and ask questions.

12. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

If you didn't vote for them do the rules still apply to you?

13. ncglock19

ncglock19

:rofl:

joe

14. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

Yeah well the chump showed up at my state, still can't get the smell out...

15. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

My most sincere condolences. He was here too unfortunately. :faint:

16. MP-In-The-Wind

MP-In-The-Wind

..I heard somewhere that Barry O stopped in some restaurant in DC...when the SS came in beforehand they took everyone's cell phone / cameras... and returned them when BO left....

17. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

In 2000, I was working for UUNET in Ashburn, VA at the WorldCom complex. One day, we were told that the president was going to be visiting us (yes, Clinton). There were some "rules" which were suggested to management by the SS that we follow. One was no weapons within a certain distance of the president. I carried a Spyderco clip-on knife in my right pocket every day but that day, I left it in my briefcase on my desk. When I went down to the area where he was speaking I was within maybe 60 to 75 feet of him on a walkway above the main floor where his podium was. I was never stopped or searched by an SS man so I suppose I could have easily carried my knife there after all.

18. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

Got some real bad news for you. If the Secret Service wants to confiscate your weapon, they will confiscate your weapon. You have little to no choice in the matter unless you want to get into a fight with some VERY well-equipped agents. If you feel the confiscation is wrong that is what the courts are for.