close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what would you do..

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Sendarr, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Sendarr

Sendarr

So here's the situation. Over a year ago my brother in law was complaining about crime in the area he works and how he wants to be able to defend himself, so on. So he asked about a handgun I was trying to sell for $300. I agreed to sell it to him, though he didnt have all the money at the time. I took what he had and he promised to pay the rest later. Any time in the past when i loaned him cash or something, he'd pay me back.

Well here we are, he still owes me $130 on the gun and wont respond to any communication I attempt. He and my sister have since separated and are getting divorced, so she's been little help. Thing is I either want the gun back or my money. Not sure what the best action here is, or maybe i'm just screwed.

P.S. i see him on facebook spending crazy cash on stupid crap all the time, like a $900+ cat for his new girlfriend and tattoos, etc.

2. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

You're screwed. Move on. That's what I would do, in the same circumstance.

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Agreed.

4. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

I have had to eat a few hundred before, it sucks but although I cant remember the exact quote from A Bronx tale, I think it was something like "you got off easy and he's out of your life for......." something like that.

Who knows maybe he might come to his senses but I chalk it up as a loss and if you get the money treat it like Xmas

Or...............make sure your sister breaks him in the divorce and alimony.

:50cal:

5. bac1023

bac1023

Sounds like you're screwed.

Just be done with the loser and move on.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

I agree with the thought of its best to move on. That said it might be fairly easy to recover the $130 in court but it will probably cost you a few thousand and take a year or two.

7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Haven't you ever heard of small claims court? It's like going on, 'Judge Judy'. You can represent yourself at no cost other than whatever the court charges you to file the case.

8. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler

Sometimes your good intentions and lifes lessons cost money. As others have said your pretty much screwed.
    I hope you have documentation that he now owns the pistol and it's no longer in your posession or ownership or the $130 could be the last of your worries. When it comes to guns always important to CYA know matter who it is your selling the gun to. Just saying..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  9. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Take him to small claims if you want your money that bad.

10. pac201

pac201

Small claims paperwork will cost that much or more, chances are you could win but never collect anyway.

One of lifes lessons=$130.00. Cheap.

11. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Liberty or Death

I was just going to say something like that. You just basically paid $130 bucks to find out what kind of guy your brother-in-law really is. From this point on he'd be cut off, no more loans, no more letting him slide on money for something he'd want from you.
    I'm the most trusting person in the world but if you screw me once that's it, it's over.

12. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Find out where he lives, call him up and go for a visit. Start BSing with him and the painted lady then casually bring up the pistol saying maybe you should inspect it about a defect that you heard about on the interwebb. Once you have it in your now sweaty palms just say thanks and head for the door, throw down a portion of the money he paid you if you want or not. In other words trick the bastad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

One of lifes lessons=$130.00. Cheap.[/QUOTE]

^^^^This! Write it off as a life lesson not to sell stuff without collecting payment in full. There are finance companies that loan money, not me.

14. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Well....at least he'll be able to defend himself if the 900 buck cat or the girlfriend go rogue.

15. craig19

craig19

:rofl:Seriously, I would let to go. I'm as cheap as them come, and losing $130 would piss me off, but its not worth it.

16. ak103k

ak103k

I agree, small clams is probably the right way to go, but the other side of me says, take the $130 out of the $900 cat. :)

17. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

But even in small claims you need to show proof of sale or it's just he said she said and will get tossed

18. banger

banger

Money...gone.

However, consider the loss your sister took.

I'm sure $130.00 will look like "chump change" by the time she is done.

19. 9jeeps

9jeeps

I'm sure in his mind, since he and your Sister are separated you can go poop your money he owes you. That she is going to clean his plow as it is. Get it from her.

Never Ever sell to relatives of any kind without cash in full up front or they have already completed the work they are trading for it. It's just common sense.

20. Berto

Berto woo woo

Accuse him of gun theft, call police.:whistling: