close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What would cause this?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 19trax95, Aug 27, 2017.

1. jmorris

jmorris

That's going to be difficult to do unless you are chambering empty cases like in post #9 but as I said even that doesn't show the damage you have there.
    The bullet itself is what hits the top of the chamber as a round enters, in a 1911. It is what's called a "controlled feed" as the round is stripped from the mag it rides up under the extractor on its way into the chamber vs a "push feed" where after being plucked from the mag the round is able to hop in any direction as its shoved towards the barrel.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. jmorris

jmorris

Did you casegauge or "plunk test" all 30 rounds before you fired them? If not, now is the time to start doing that.

What does your crimp measure, where its at now? With numbers, there is no need to speculate and "looks" don't always tell you what you need to know.

Like if I just posted a photo of this round,
    image.jpeg
    someone would likely say it doesn't look like enough crimp.

However, if I post a photo zoomed out, so everybody can see it's being held by a caliper reading .471", everyone knows that's more than enough crimp.

image.jpeg

In any case, if you make sure the cases are not damaged and will "plunk" before going into a magazine to be fired you should be good to go.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017

3. judgecrater

judgecrater

It looks in one photo as though the bullet was seated so deeply that the rim is not on the full diameter of the bullet but on the smaller diameter nose (ogive.) Try a sightly longer OAL.

Rusty Gun likes this.
  4. jmorris

jmorris

He could play with that but that's one piece of information he did include 1.240" OAL and that's fine for a 230 FMJ.

5. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

That's a thought! I remember back in the early '80s, we had to do quite a bit of polishing on Colt Model 70 1911s. It became a fairly standard thing to do.

A few years back, I bought one of the Ruger LCPs and it wouldn't feed an entire magazine on a bet. A bit of time and Flitz has solved that problem.

I still don't think the crimp is enough. It may well be true that the crimp is in the area of the ogive and perhaps a little more OAL is worthwhile (FWIW, I load 230 RN and 200 SWC both to 1.250") but having daylight between the bullet and the casemouth just seems wrong.

6. 19trax95

19trax95

Update.

I just got around to trying some things out. I made a dummy round with the same specs as the one that failed. I took the barrel down with me out of the kimber. I plunk tested it and there was a very small amount of resistance. It still went all the way in the chamber with out me assisting it, but it was not as smooth and free as I felt it should be.

So I made a few adjustments. I made the OAL to 1.26" and belled the cases just barely enough to let the bullet sit on there. I set the crimp just enough to remove the slight bell.

I plunk tested again and this time they dropped right in very smooth and free.

I also compared the new measurements to some American eagle 230 grain fmj round nose ammo I had. They are very close to matching those now. The American eagle is 1.27" OAL.

It's raining now but I am going to head out to the range in the morning and give them a try.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  7. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Sounds like you got things under control.

Good luck.

8. usnret

usnret

Bullets don't care if it is raining.:dancing:

9. 19trax95

19trax95

Well it was still raining a little bit today so I packed my bag and headed out anyway. When I got home naturally it cleared up though haha.

But the latest batch worked great. No issues at all. They feel a little on the hot side though so I need to play around with my powder charge. I know it's not scientific, but to me they feel hotter than my usual American eagle ammo, but less than some +p stuff I have.

10. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

If you reload, you need to get a reliable chronograph. If you don't have one, you are just playing blind mans bluff.

11. 19trax95

19trax95

Yeah it's on my list of things to get. One of the guys I work with has one that I borrowed when I worked up my .380 and .308 loads. I just haven't gotten one for myself yet.

WeeWilly likes this.
  12. jmorris

jmorris

Interesting, makes me wonder what else you changed. The web on a 45 ACP case is too low for you to hit it at 1.240 with a 230g FMJ and that's the only logical reason a bullet seated .020 deeper could effect how they "plunk".

Doesn't matter if it works though, no reason to fix what isn't broken.

13. 19trax95

19trax95

I think the main thing I changed that helped was reducing how much I bell the case and then crimping enough just to fully remove the bell.

Not sure of the OAL had any effect or not.

14. RustyFN

RustyFN

I have had that happen in the seating die because of too much bell. Try a little less.