Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my Gen 4 G19 and even prefer the finger grooves but like a true Glock fanboy I rushed out and got a Gen 5 when one became available. But in reality it's basically the same solid platform as previous generations aside from some subtle changes. How would you improve on "Perfection"?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Pull trigger, go bang. What other features do we need?

I guess if I had my druthers, I'd like a 19 skinnier than the current 19, but not as skinny as a 48. Thin, but still with some meat on the bones. But still 15rds.

The goldilocks of goldilocks.

Maybe a whole line of in-betweeners.

Thats my only gripe. The double stacks are too fat and the single stacks are too thin.

So, for Glock gen6, I'd like them to find the t'ween.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
It's hard to evolve the G19 much further without losing compatibility with earlier generations.

For instance, the biggest limit on Glock's ability to slim down the grip is the thickness of the magazines. The polymer over steel design makes Glock magazines thicker than steel-bodied magazines of similar capacity. But the the magazines are also one of Glock's great strengths. They're reliable, durable, cheap and available in a wide variety of sizes. They haven't changed dimensions over the years so a Gen 5 Glock can still use Gen 1 magazines and vice versa. Making the magazine slimmer would allow for a slimmer, more comfortable grip, but would also make Gen 6 pistols and mags incompatible with earlier generations.

·
Registered
23,651 Posts
I'd ask for optics ready versions that don't need an adapter plate. If you are going to use an rmr you buy the one cut for that optics. Have it low enough to cowitness with standard sights. I'd also like to see glock come with a "tactical" version. Stock with threaded barrel and suppressor sights. Maybe add interchangeable side panels as well like the HK VP9 has.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
I think the Gen 6 will be a total redesign, incorporating a rotating barrel lock. Glock has already made one model like this (46) so it's not unreasonable to think they may decide to go that route. They might also go with a 4-slot rail similar to how they did with some of the old 21's. Any internal changes are likely to be subtle, but we will still have, as is customary to Glock, the same old cheapy plastic sights.

I could also see the 17 being redone as longslide G45 to give full compatibility with both the 45 and 19 lowers. So if a user wanted to put the longslide on a compact lower they could very well do that while moving the shortslide to the other frame. Might go this route with other models and have the regular full size frames on the longslides 34/35/40/41.

·
Gunslinger
2,085 Posts
Personally, I am of the belief that you can only change a particular pistol so much before it really needs to be catalogued as a new model entirely. I also think there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to adding “features”. One of the strongest attributes of a Glock pistol has always been its simplicity. The more stuff gets added, the more potential for something to go wrong.

I don’t really believe Glock “needed” to make any changes to their offerings after the Gen 3, although I do like the grip texture on the Gen 4 and 5 pistols a lot better, as well as the slightly reduced grip size with no back straps installed.

For as much as I would like to see Glock try their hand at some new ideas, I also hope that they continue to offer their tried and true lineup of combat proven pistols in a version that at least mostly remains true to their original design.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Personally, I am of the belief that you can only change a particular pistol so much before it really needs to be catalogued as a new model entirely. I also think there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to adding “features”. One of the strongest attributes of a Glock pistol has always been its simplicity. The more stuff gets added, the more potential for something to go wrong.

I don’t really believe Glock “needed” to make any changes to their offerings after the Gen 3, although I do like the grip texture on the Gen 4 and 5 pistols a lot better, as well as the slightly reduced grip size with no back straps installed.

For as much as I would like to see Glock try their hand at some new ideas, I also hope that they continue to offer their tried and true lineup of combat proven pistols in a version that at least mostly remains true to their original design.
This all the way. I’d rather see Glock continue to make Gen 3 and Gen 5 pistols forever. If they really want to experiment then start with a completely new design and add it to the catalog, it would need a new name though.

I don’t think they need to do this but I’d rather them go this path than really start messing with perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I feel pretty.
5,299 Posts
I mold my own Kydex panels, and use Ravens belt loops. You have to use a thicker .090 kydex because of the top opening, but it's cake.

Sjc sell a holster for those as well. IIRC.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I predict the mid size models like the 19 are not going to change in any meaningful way anytime soon. At this point all the changes are just marketing driven refreshes to get people to buy a new version of the same thing. Buyer interest has shifted to the smaller guns that have large capacity. Why buy a model 19 when you can buy a smaller 43X and 48 with 15 round magazines. That shift away from double stacks will be even more pronounced if a 10 round mag limit becomes law.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Why buy a model 19 when you can buy a smaller 43X and 48 with 15 round magazines. That shift away from double stacks will be even more pronounced if a 10 round mag limit becomes law.
Because not everyone has tiny hands. The 19/26 is the smallest grip that I can shoot well. My fingers wrap all the way around and it’s hard for me to get my support hand palm on the grip and really get into it.

With the Glock 21 and 30 this isn’t as much as an issue for me but most say it’s like holding a 2x4. Micro 9mm is all the rage but there are plenty who won’t get on that wagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 102 Posts