close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Worries Me About Glocks....

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Doc Glockster, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Doc Glockster

Doc Glockster

With all the generational changes, and switching over time to MIM parts--will parts always be available for the older generations?

I stick to Gen 4 G17's as my primary "go to" pistols, so I'm confident they are of recent enough vintage to have good parts availability for a while.

But what about ten years from now? Twenty?

I wonder if we should all stock up on parts.

Viking70 likes this.
  2. cciman

cciman

Yup, I can't find replacements for my Smith Corona plastic cover for the E key. I should have stocked up.

3. cciman

cciman

Perhaps when NK nukes the USA, there will be a shortage of nylon to make the frames too.

Quigley likes this.
  4. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Why wouldn't Glock keep making replacement parts if the sales are profitable? Their cost of making such simple components must be ridiculously low.

On the other hand, your own G17 innard parts inventory would be cheap to accumulate. Just do it so you can put that concern out of your mind.

I'm curious to know how much a complete set of Glock innards would cost.

kd4jvg, hairy1harry and timmy266 like this.
  5. jmohme

jmohme

I think that there are enough gen 3 and 4's in circulation that parts will not be an issue for some time to come.

6. John Biltz

John Biltz

I have a Glock 17 Gen 2 I bought over 22 years ago, I still have no problems getting parts. Its not a problem getting parts for Gen 1s that are pushing 30 years ago. Not only can I get them from Glock but generally from at least 2 other after market manufacturers.

Glockbug, kd4jvg, Intolerant and 3 others like this.
  7. vram74

vram74

I ain’t gonna worry about it. After reading in another thread about Glock switching to MIM in order to meet a price point, they told me that they don’t give a damn about their reputation or the safety of their customers. That comment would piss me off if I was a Cop.

I mean damn. You’ve been making essentially the same plastic gun for decades with hardly any additional R\D. It’s reliable as hell, already dirt cheap for them to crank out but hey, go ahead and cut more corners. People would much rather have a less reliable gun vs you just increasing the price $5 per gun if you feel you’re not making enough.

I’ll keep my gen 3’s cause I like’em but those were my last.

Intolerant likes this.
  8. Leigh

Leigh

Gen 2 21 here......

Born on date 1992....same internals....no issues plus as mentioned, parts are cheap.

MIM? Meh....people still buy S&W wheelguns with MIM parts as they do EVERY other firearms manufacturer out there.

Overrated issue IMHO but hey, I've only been shooting and collecting guns since 1976.

DKSmith45, kd4jvg, JRZDVL and 6 others like this.
  9. Leigh

Leigh

GLOCK, INC. told you that? Uh, no they didn't.

I suppose you don't buy SA, Colt, S&W, Walther, Ruger, (insert your favorite manufacturer) as they all produce weapons that include some MIM parts.

Shoot more and read online opinions less.....no offense.

10. Judcargile

Judcargile

11. TeaDub

TeaDub

OP, you should be good to go for many years. If you are truly concerned, I've seen lists here posting the most likely parts needing to be replaced. It wasn't an extensive list IIRC. A couple springs, extractor, RSA, etc.

If my Glock ever takes a dump, I'd just grab another out of the safe until it can be brought back to normal.

12. BC Dan

BC Dan

13. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Metal Injection Molding. People get their britches in a bunch over it, but like anything else it can be done well, or halfa$$.

10or45 and slamdunc like this.
  14. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

First, whoever told you that Glock doesn’t care about their reputation or the safety of their customers is a moron. I’m my experience as a LEO and armorer, Glock has been very open and responsive to any needs or concerns we’ve had.

Secondly, people seriously need to let go of the old wives tale that “MIM is junk.” MIM is a well established technology and used in countless products. Yes, it can be done poorly, just like forging and matching bar stock can be done poorly. Glock does it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    kd4jvg, pmorejon, DavidSteber and 7 others like this.
  15. vram74

vram74

I didn’t mean that they actually told me that. They effectively did though if that was their true intention and it’s a very plausible that was the justification for the switch. I’m no stranger to “internet problems”.

My current collection is two glocks and an AR, so I haven’t bought the other brands you mention.

I get what you’re saying though :)

16. MajorD

MajorD

I do not concern myself with stocking spare parts. I have a good number of guns made in the later part of
    The 19th century that still are going strong. Many of my go to pistols are 50 or more years old with all original parts that are still rolling too.

Ronnie Barton likes this.
  17. Leigh

Leigh

I was new to firearms once (as were we all) and I don't think you commented on the thread to troll; you are probably a great guy.

That said, after too many YEARS of receiving Guns & Ammo, Gun World, Field & Stream, American Rifleman, Combat Handguns, ok I'll stop but you get the point. Eventually, the internet arrived.

No ONE single source is the 'end all be all' definitive source of ANYTHING gun-related including but not limited to cars, boats, watches, knives, guitars, boots, you name it; the list is literally endless.

The good part? Technology allows us all to scour the various web sites, blogs, forums, etc. and decide for ourselves what we think is accurate.

18. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad

19. tattedupboy

tattedupboy

Pardon me for my ignorance, but what does MIM mean?

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

20. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

What worries me is that my oldest 2 pin G17 is over 250,000 rounds, and I may not live long enough to see 500,000 rounds.....