Glock Talk banner
81 - 100 of 125 Posts
a bike lock
I was riding my bike around Lake Nockamixon in upper Bucks Co. PA that afternoon, about 90 minutes out of NYC, and amazed at how eerily quiet it was, without an aircraft in the air. Normally, they were all over the sky coming and going out of that part of the world.

Still had my old Colt along too, just in case Osama, jumped out of the bushes and wanted to rumble. :)

Reactions: kahrcarrier
I was a sophomore, in high school. The only thing I was packing is much more dangerous than a firearm.
Same, except I was a Junior

I was off that day so a G27 2.5 would have been on tap.

When I went back to work, my issued Smith 5903 was what I still carried. I had begrudgingly turned in my 4506 earlier that year when the "powers that be" retired all the 45s to go strictly 9mm.

Glock 27 which was my off-duty carry and back up gun at the time.

FWIW, I was already about 50 years old then, and hadn't shot anything but cameras, shotguns and a 22 rifle for years. I didn't start carrying until about 4 or 5 years ago, when I thought it the best idea considering my vulnerability when working in certain less safe places at less safe times. Until then, I carried only a pocket knife or a Leatherman, neither of which offered much protection. That was the case on 9/11 as well.

By coincidence I was home that day and was a long distance viewer of the awful event. I was usually at work at about 8am, but that day I had to stay home, because I was to meet and set up a crew that was going to replace the windows and siding on my house at that time. While waiting for them, I had the Fox morning show on the TV in the kitchen. I wasn't paying much attention, as I was talking to one of my employees on the phone giving him directions for a photo shoot setup to be constructed in my studio that day. But then, I noticed the TV people started to make some ominous sounding noises about a plane crashing into one the twin towers, so I got off the phone and paid attention. They explained that a small private plane pilot had likely been blinded by the morning sun reflecting off the building and crashed into the side of the one tower. I immediately thought this sounded highly unlikely, and when I saw the hole in the building and fire, I thought that that looked to be a ridiculous explanation, given the size of the hole and the size and isolation of the tower. The pilot would have had to be literally blind for 10 minutes and flying a much bigger plane. While I was muttering to myself with suspicion and ridicule for the TV readers who would accept such an idiotic idea, they had a wide shot of both towers on the screen. Then it happened. Another plane flew into the frame and smacked into the second tower, and it was obvious right then that it was a very large airliner and left no doubt that both hits had been planned and purposeful. It didn't take a genius, given the history of Islamists trying to bring the Towers down years earlier, to understand what had just happened and its significance, but I didn't right away know just how terrible the human loss would yet be until a while later.

Not waiting any longer, I went outside to greet the window and siding guys. The first thing I told them, after finding out that they weren't listening to their truck radio on the way over, was about the towers and that there was no question but that we were now at war, a real shooting war. The Pentagon, Flight 93's heroic nosedive and crash in Pennsylvania, all happened after I went back inside to be glued to that little TV in my kitchen until I had to go to work in the afternoon. It was so terrible for those killed by the fire, explosions and "deathjumps", and so tragic and sad for the families of the slain. Those hijackers' comrades and leaders deserved all the destruction that we levied against them and a lot more. Unfortunately we struck back at a lot of people that weren't responsible and missed a lot that were. I guess that's just about how it always goes nowadays.

The memory of this will never leave me until the day I die.

I was at work when it happened. I was carrying my old G21 and G30 as a backup. Still have them. The G30 was also my off duty until getting replaced by the G19 the beginning of this year.

Gun Black Grey Hardwood Tan

I was on duty at the station that day getting the truck checks done. And heard about the first one. Then went in and saw the second one hit on tv. I was assigned the micu that day but we ended up running it on local calls as well. That much panic call volume.
So I was carrying......some version of this. Don’t recall which number. Just a random inter web photo.

Attachments

I watched the tv and saw the planes hit. I had to go to work in tv and had no idea if more problems were coming to the country or my city or chicago or new york or la or washington.
I went to work with my loaded 1911 colt with three spare 8 round wilson combat mags. So 33 rounds total on me and a spare box of ammo in my bag.

Never needed the gun. But wanted to be armed in case something else happened.

Did you folks around at that time carry that day ?
I was hard at work making money. Wasn’t armed when it happened. Stopped everything to watch coverage though.

Discussion starter · #100 ·
I was on duty as a School District Police Officer, so I was carrying my Glock 22 with 2 spare mags, 2 pair of cuffs, OC spray, and baton.
At least you felt prepared. Or did you think is this enough ??

We had no idea how much more was coming. Were soldiers coming to the east or west coast ? Would bombs be coming ?

A nuke bomb in several major cities ? Scary stuff.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.