What were "normal" prices for reloading components?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by BillKilgore, Aug 24, 2020.

1. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

I am seriously thinking about getting into reloading and I need a little advice. What do you consider reasonable prices for things like bullets, powder and primers? I am focused mainly on .45 ACP and .223.

I know, I know, so is everybody else.

2. xdmikey

xdmikey

I'd say don't worry about last year's pricing, get what you can now.

BillKilgore likes this.

3. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

Check the "list of suppliers" sticky for who we use and start googling to get an idea of prices. Bullets, powder and brass prices seem to be holding steady. Primers are the problem. Normally $30 to $35/K, I've heard of some absurd asking prices lately.
    Some of my favorites:
    Powder Valley - everything
    Midsouth - everything
    Brazos precision - coated bullets
    Missouri bullet company - cast bullets
    Summers enterprise - cast bullets
    Here in S.C. I've gotten some great deals on primers and powders at gun shows. That of course, is in the past as gun shows are cancelled till... ?

BillKilgore likes this.
  4. naughtymoose

naughtymoose

Powder-order from Powder Valley - 8# Ramshot Tac for .223-$159, Winchester 231 for Powder is $23 per k. Bullets-Zero 230 FMJ-125 per K. Primers-Used to be less than $30 per K. Large pistol will be easier to find than small rifle. .223 bullets 23-25 per K when you find them in stock.

Good hunting

BillKilgore likes this.
  5. Lagamor

Lagamor

Your thinking right. If you plan on shooting long term and you have the space it’s worth it.
    When times were good, I was paying $20-25 ish for a box of Small Pistol Primers on sale. Powder was $25 a pound. It depends on what type of bullets but $100 to $125 for a thousand.
    You are definitely going to save money reloading 45 acp. Once you have the equipment you start shopping for sales and buy in bulk. I promise you things will get better, but the next six months or year will be rough.
    I’ve been reloading for a few years. With my current stockpile I can shoot four years without having to buy anything.

ejs54 and BillKilgore like this.
  6. XNavyvet71

XNavyvet71

I've purchased 2 lbs. of powder in the last 2 weeks paid $29 + tax for 1, $31 + tax for the second. 9mm bullets I got 1000 for $88 + shipping. Primers can't find local.

BillKilgore likes this.
  7. fredj338

fredj338

Powders havent moved much in price, still pretty available. Bullets are thin, cost depends on type; coated lead, plated or jacketed in hamdgun. Jacketed only in 223 but there are cheap 55gr fmj & exoensive 67-68gr match bullets. Primers right now are the over priced & scarce component.
    Before this mess, $30/1000 is pretty normal for any primer size. Now if you could find any at $50 it feels like a bargain. Buy the gear, keep,your brass & get started. Buy a small amount of powder, bullets & a few 100 primers, but wait on buying bulk until things settle down, like this time next year?:help:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Lagamor, BillKilgore and FullClip like this.
  8. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I'd have to look back through a lot of old e-mail orders. But it was low enough I didn't have a stroke or worry about how I'm gonna' eat and heat then next month.

Lagamor, BillKilgore and Collo Rosso like this.
  9. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

Thanks for the responses. I have enough ammo stockpiled for a year or two, but I am thinking long-term. That is why I asked about normal prices.

I checked most of the sites listed above and inventory is slim. Gunbroker is the only place I have found with primers readily available.

10. fredj338

fredj338

Do not support those hack opportunists. It just fuels the shortage. But 200 large pistol & 200 sm rifle primers. Buy just 200 bullets each. 1# of pistol powder, 1# of rifle powder & your gear, local is fine. Might cost you more but small quantities are not cheap online either. Get started reading how to in a couple good manuals. Then make a couple dummy rds then actually put some ammo together. No more than 10rds each.
    When things settle down, buy your powder in 8# jigs & primers usually in 5k per case for best prices. Be patient, its gonna take awhile.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  11. Abrass

Abrass

From 2009 to 2015, components were on the rise.
    In 2015 the saturation level was accomplished, Obummer was leaving office.
    2016-2019 about 10% up, 2020 going UP and UP.
    2013 Dealer price for 1000 45acp from starline was $132
    Today $155 per 1000.
    The price of metals will continue to rise.
    We are Saving Brass, looking for equipment and back up equipment, we always buy powder and primers when available if the price if right.

BillKilgore likes this.
  12. sig357fan

sig357fan

right now some would say your late getting in the game but I would disagree, yes prices are up and we don't know what "normal" will be or when.

reloading still provides a means to have ammo, even tho right now, at a slightly less expensive than factory ammo.

solid advise above about small batch/use what you can find, I wouldn't buy anything bulk until prices come down.

what advice I can add....

start looking for fellow shooter/reloaders in your area to group buy primers and powder with, hazmat fees are never going away and shipping gets cheaper with bigger orders, again when prices come down, but for now you may be able to barter for components and find individual willing to help with the learning curve in reloading.

do your due diligence on equipment and what you need at the moment, a full blown progressive press will be more expensive than a good single stage press at any time, both will make ammo and learning on a single stage will get you up to speed on the reloading process minus the learning a piece of equipment.

pay attention to how much you shoot or how much you would like to shoot and base any stocking during better time on that amount time how ever many month you feel bad time will be. I had about a years worth when this started based on past experiences due to the political winds of change but am starting to wondering if that was enough.

what money you spend now use as a basis for a "stocking fund" for month to month purchases during better times, get on supplies notification list for sale flyer. I set aside my tax return in presidential election years as a mean to stock up before the nonsense that always happens as you get closer the election.

and of course, I'll have to put in a plug for GTRF, a wealth of information from a group that is always willing to help, its the best reloading forum I've ever been a member of for a long, long time.

BillKilgore likes this.
  13. ejs54

ejs54 Member

When my aunt passed away in 2010 she left me with a little fun money (about $2,000 to $3,000 can't remember) and decided to take up reloading. I bought a basic press kit and started buying primers and powder not knowing what I needed. I got to the point I thought I bought too much in quantity for components.

Not feeling that way anymore. I don't have a LOT but I do have enough to last awhile and I don't shoot as much as I used to.

I still look around for components from time to time and get 1,000 primers here and there and a 1lb of powder here and there as some of my friends are in need of ammo so help them get all loaded up.

I remember $23 for primers and similar for powder.

I even stocked up to reload 7.62x39 which was silly by some standards years ago. Not anymore.

Even if YOU are well prepared it's best to have everything readily available for everyone. It will keep the hobby going and ranges open.

Lagamor likes this.
  14. collim1

collim1

2 cent primers and $15 pounds of powder are a thing of the past.

Do the research and compare you total cost per loaded round to the cost per round of factory ammo. You have to include tax and shipping and do the math to get an accurate cost per round.

If I can load ammo with acceptable performance for significantly cheaper than factory then I load it myself. If not I shoot factory ammo.

For years I never loaded 9mm because I was buying Federal Chamion aluminum for 17 cents per round shipped. I couldn’t load it myself and make any significant savings so I saved myself the time and effort.

Nowadays I could load 9mm for significant savings so it would be worthwhile. Both due to price and availability.

Sometimes time, not money, is my most valuable resource and factory ammo is the best choice.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  15. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

Thanks for the advice, guys. I plan to get a Dillon XL750 and a few components in about a month. They are good presses and it should meet my needs for the rest of my life.

If I reload the once-fired brass in my garage, I calculate I will recoup the initial cost of equipment and supplies. I have been cleaning brass for over a week. I have finished the .45 and a couple other calibers. The .223 will be next and will probably take 2 weeks.

If President Trump wins re-election, I think things will settle down. If Biden wins, I am placing large orders on Nov 4th. I have been watching prices of factory ammo and reloading components for months now. I have enough factory ammo in most calibers to last a year or more, but I will need to buy/reload some .380 for my wife in the next few months.

Thank you all for your comments.

ejs54 likes this.
  16. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

this is the truth. I got out of loading .223, I can do it for $200/1k. I could get Wolf Gold for $300 a case. to me, I would rather pay that $100 than do all the brass prep. now.... sheeeit. I'll probably get back into it. I never did have to buy a factory case, as I never shoot my damn AR, but still.

BillKilgore likes this.
  17. fredj338

fredj338

The time issue with reloading is sooooo over done. Just buy better gear. A 650/750 will easily run 600+ trouble free rds in an hour. Factory ammo for punching paper is really a rip off considering I can load 1000ds on an easy 90m for $110 at pre covid prices (less as I make my own bullets). Savng $120-$150 for 90m work is pretty decent net wage. I shoot 800-1000rds a month. For 90m of my time, yeah I can do that. Especially here in kalifukistan. We cant just pop online & order ammo, so being able to step into my garage & make 300ds in less yhan 30m, yeah its worth it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    sig357fan and BillKilgore like this.
  18. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

If I didn't shoot competition, I never would have begun reloading. Difficult to buy good competition ammo at any price, and now availability is nil for even junk ammo.

Nice to just go out to the armory and knock out the rounds I may need to top off my mags for a match - and it's consistent quality ammo.

19. Abrass

Abrass

Up date on Ammo prices from a buddy in CA. that runs up and down the state doing
    Gun Shows. 25+ in his line all day, setting records because he is selling 9mm reloads for
    $27.95 per 50 this include the little background check of $3

Miwall the largest live ammo supplier at the west coast gun shows have stopped doing the shows, no product to sell. They would show up with a 53' tractor trailer and sell out.

BillKilgore likes this.