What was your longest job interview process?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Batesmotel, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

#1 Son just got his masters degree and is intensely job hunting. He applied for basically his dream job with a tech startup. Early enough that if he is hired he will be a founder with stock.

400+ applicants whittled down to about 85 on paper alone. Then the interview process begins.

Round 1. Two back to back interviews. About 30 minutes each. Didn't hear back for two weeks.

Round 2. Three one hour interviews in the same day. Scheduled the next interview a few days later.

Round 3. Two Back to back interviews. Scheduled the next interview.

Round 4. Two interviews same day. Told they would get back to him.

Round 5. Today. Single one hour interview with just a few hours notice. Told they would get back to him.

At least It looks like he is still in the running.

My wife is in tech. She hasn’t seen an interview like this. Any tech guys seen an interview process like this? It could be because everyone involved is remote.

tuica likes this.
  2. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

As a project manager, four consecutive one hour interviews in one day were pretty typical.
    But, interviews over multiple days is likely due to the huge number of applicants.

tuica likes this.

3. tuica

tuica

Man alive! As my late dad used to say. I’ve had a few jobs in my life. Most long term. Some shorter. None anywhere near this process length.

Closest would have been Civil Service. Written exam. Physical test. Background investigation. Interview. Psychological test. Final interview with agency head.

Good luck to your son. If this is what he wants to do. Sounds damn competitive.

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Dissertation defense committee. I would have much preferred to be in the drilling scene from, "The Marathon Man." HH

5. GRR

GRR

Civil Engineer. Don’t remember one over 30 minutes or so.

tuica likes this.
  6. Mister Clean

Mister Clean

I only had three job interviews after college and before retirement.

The first job interview took less than one minute. I was asked, "What are your likes and dislikes?"
    I thought for a second or two and replied, "I don't like questions like this."
    The interviewer laughed as he said, "You're hired".

The second interview began with the interviewer looking over my job application and resume.
    Then she asked me, "When can you start?"

The third interview took about an hour since I was asking to be considered for a position for which I had no prior direct related work experience. I had to prove that I had the ability, resourcefulness and a transferable skill set to be able to learn to do the job with a short learning curve based upon my work history and previous goals and accomplishments.

7. John_AZ

John_AZ

Applied in January. Interview in February. Called back in April, June, job offer July, started August

nursetim, Deanster and pgg00 like this.
  8. pgg00

pgg00

Months.... LE applications and the hiring process tend to take time

Batesmotel, John_AZ and Sgt127 like this.
  9. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Pretty typical for tech interviews at the moment, I'd say.

Having to do all this remotely, and get a bunch of people confident enough in a hire to send out an offer letter is taking a lot of interview cycles, at least for friends and former students who I'm talking to.

Add in the reality that startups rarely have a lot of expertise in hiring, or any/enough HR types to ride herd on the process, it's almost certain to be at least a little messy, and will often be an actively broken process.

The good news is that it's good prep for the routinely chaotic scene he'll find when he starts.

Startups can be amazing, working for one that became a Fortune 500 company changed my professional life. But they are wildly uncertain, most either die, become zombie companies (big enough to stay alive, but not enough growth to sell, go public, or otherwise exit financially), or are bought, which is often an ugly transition.

Right out of school is a great time to take that kind of risk, but I'd strongly advise him to be really clear about what he's doing, keep his resume updated at LEAST monthly, and be prepared to leave quickly if the company is looking shaky, or if a better offer comes from another company.

Keep an eye on the firm's financial situation - are they using investor money? how much is there? at the current spend/burn rate, how long do they have to become profitable or raise more money? Is the customer/revenue growth story impressive enough to raise more money and/or become at least cash flow positive, if not legitimately profitable?

IMHO it's critical to be ultra-pragmatic, there's no reason to ride the ship down if things aren't going well for the company, or stick around if the job isn't helping him build the skills that will help him get his next job.

Good luck!

Batesmotel, billkill and papershoot like this.
  10. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Corporate world is a slow process. I submitted my resume and made first contact with manager within the first two weeks. I then waited two weeks and was given a pre-employment personality test. Then another three weeks an interview with the NA Sales manager. Three weeks after that a phone interview with HR. Then I waited another five weeks before I received an offer. Two weeks later I started full time.

11. jcullen

jcullen

Make more money tending bar..

12. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

From the time I completed the initial online application until I started the academy was 3.5 years (LE). That was a single hiring process, back when that governor was not funding new cadet classes. The typical process for my agency now takes about 12-14 months.

Sgt127 likes this.
  13. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

.mil was always " this is your new job "

.gov was fill out the application and get the phone call that said " you're hired, start next Monday "

.com was about 30 minutes for the first one over breakfast ; after that the next four were " do you want to do this one ? "

14. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

Applied in September, hired in February. Only 2 interviews. I knew three other candidates and saw the fourth. The three I knew were all more qualified than I was. Candidate 1 had a meek personality and lost out due to voice and mannerisms - she was the most qualified. Candidate 2 got mad about the length of the process and told the committee during interview 2 that he wasn’t sure he even wanted the job anymore - that sealed it for him. Candidate 3 had never formally interviewed for a job before and stumbled and stammered through the interview. Candidate 4 - she was not qualified but was super hot - learned after the fact that she had zero experience.

I got the job because I interviewed well. My credentials and experience were good, but not as good as the other three. 27 years later, I’m still there.

rotorhead1026 and light-switch like this.
  15. BradD

BradD

Academic position interviews. I've had four of them. Most have gone over two whole days, starting at 7-7:30 am and ending after dinner at about 8 pm. Talking the whole time to everyone from the dean to student groups. No breaks other than to use the bathroom. Under the microscope at all three meals. Grilled in detail about every little thing in my resume, how I'd get funding, etc. I'm mildly introverted, so these were utterly grueling.

light-switch and Deanster like this.
  16. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Interview process with GE Aviation was a verbal and skills assessment. Damn thing was nine hours fifteen minutes. Twenty three interviewed, seventeen selected.

I left the job four months after starting......crazy millennial place.

treg likes this.
  17. pugman

pugman

9 years...the period of time Mrs Pugman and I dated before getting married....although she wanted to hire me after 5

Been on the job 20 years in July

And if someone tells you being a husband isn't a job...they have never been married.

rotorhead1026 and Batesmotel like this.
  18. redrick

redrick

This company that I was applying with was using another company to start the weeding out , because they new that they would have so many applying for the jobs .

1st: I had to register with the state employment commission .
    2nd: I had to wait for them to call me in to fill out an application .

3rd: I had to go to the hiring company , along with about 50 other people and get on a bus and bused in to take a long 4 part test .

4th: I had to wait for over 2 months wondering if I passed the test and a call .

5th: They called me in for a panel interview .

6th: I had to take a physical and a background and drug test .

7th: They called me on a Wednesday and wanted me to start on Monday . I told them that I needed to give my employer 2 weeks notice .

All of those steps and I had previously worked for that company for 14 years and had a good attendance and work record .

I am now retired from that company .

treg likes this.
  19. walke121

walke121

From the time I was contacted by a headhunter until the time I was offered the position was about 3 weeks. I had 2-3 phone interviews 1-2 days after initial contact about the position. A few days later I was called for an in person interview and had 2 interviews that day with a hiring manager and another one about an hour later with 4 managers and senior employees. I was offered the position about a week after in person interviews and my contract was negotiated and agreed upon within a day of the offer. My background checks, drug screen, security credentials had to be verified and transferred to my new employer but since I had been a contractor for another agency it was faster than normal. I think I started about 2.5 weeks later.

I’ve learned now that’s it’s pretty common for them to start higher clearances for newer employees about 4-6 months after hiring in my dept as after about 1 year many people have moved to other jobs. In 8.5 years I’ve had 3 different positions. Stayed at my initial job for 10 months and I wouldn’t have been there that long except it took 6 months for my next DoD security clearance. My next appointment was almost 4 years and I ’ve been at my current position for 4 years In August. Promoting from within is much easier and less involved that the initial procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  20. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Just to update. He got the job. Starts working remotely as soon as everything is signed then moves to SoCal sometime next year.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020