What was your first car? fond/bad memories?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cool Impala Glocker, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Cool Impala Glocker

Cool Impala Glocker NRA Member

Hi there...what was your first car you ever OWNED (I mean by your parents gifting a car to you...buying a car for you...you buy your FIRST car..etc etc)

What fond/bad memories did you have of it?? It can be anything from racing it...to taking it to makeout point...to driving it off a cliff..to bein a pimp ride. Let's hear em!!

I'll start off mine:

My pops gifted me My first car EVER was a 4 door '77 Chevy caprice classic. Was a 305 chevy 4 barrell. Fast fast car (for a 16 year old that was). I drove the hite out of it!! Only lasted me about 6 months. I know..stupid. Best memory of it was me going down the I 70 interstate doing about 95..man...I was cruizin...until I popped a rod then my ride was over! :)

My pops eventually got me a '79 caprice landau and I took better CARE of that car until I sold it for another car. Unfortunately..I don't have a pix of the '77 but it was brought up from Jacksonville, Florida up to Missouri. My pops worked at the GM plant down there temporarily.

2. Smashy

Smashy

'76 Mustang II, 4 cylinder automatic. Very nice condition, but it was slower than a dead sloth.

3. glockaviator

glockaviator

4. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Grandpa got my first car for pulling a couple downed tree's out of some old ladies driveway. The beat up '86 Subaru GL hatchback that had probably been sitting for 10 years in the barn.

Got it running. And it ran great. Tore out of the trainyard too fast one day, and tore the exhaust off right behind the drivers seat. Turned it into a monsterously loud beast. Replaced the clutch, and wrecked it off a bank into another bank a week later. Woke up in the hospital with a careless driving ticket. :(

First car I bought was a '85 Nissan Pulsar NX, for all of $1400.

5. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

My first car was a old-person-maroon 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera.

Looked pretty much exactly like this; same color and same wheel covers, though mine was never this shiny and new looking.

[​IMG]

6. frankmako

frankmako

a 1957 vw bug. no first gear. had to start off in second.

7. NOLA_glock

NOLA_glock Shrug Life

My parents bought me a 95 Delta 88 as a high school graduation gift (this was 2004), but the first car I bought for myself was a mildly built 93 5.0 Mustang.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  8. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

'76 Chevy Laguna Type S-3; 180-horsepower 400 four-barrel engine. I gave my mother power of attorney to sell the car when I went to England for four years in 1979. Worst mistake I ever made. The guy that bought it totaled it.
    [​IMG]

9. shamrock404

shamrock404

First car was a all black 1956 Ford Sunliner and the second car was a green over yellow 1954 Mercury Monterrey they were both bought in 1962 the cost for each was $250.00. Have a nice day.

10. rahrah12

rahrah12

1986 Buick LeSabre - I called her the "Brown Bomber"

two tone - dark upper half and light brown lower half...heat hardly blew (I lived in MN)...In the winters I would start it up about and let run @ 20 mins before leaving just so it would be nice and toasty by the time I got in...

back seat was real roomy & comfy. I learned a lot back there...:whistling:

Ended up giving it to a family friend and last I heard it was still rolling...this was a few years ago.

I took very good care of it and she treated me well

11. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

'65 Chevy Impala 2dr hardtop. 250hp 327 with the "cursed" powerglide. It was a pretty cool car & with the gears & tranny it had in it, you could run that puppy up to 70+ in first gear before it popped into high. Not sure how fast it would go but it would make it to 90 halfway between town & home, then I would coast the rest of the way so my folks wouldn't know I had been hot rodding the ol' gal. I bought it but my folks helped with insurance. 1975? I think. Didn't have my license yet so yeah, 1975. Sold it to a guy just wanted the motor. Wound up in his garage at his house, battery shorted & burned the car to the ground. :-( What a waste.

Not much "lover's lane" in that car, though. Just driving too fast, learning about life, I guess. hahaha. Lover's lane, makeout point stuff came in some later cars. :)

MLM

12. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

1979 Toyota Celica liftback.

13. Cool Impala Glocker

Cool Impala Glocker NRA Member

I can imagine about you "learning" back there. My pops got a car almost like that...but a LeSabre station wagon. Heckuva LOTT room to lay down and stretch out and kneel..... :tongueout:

14. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

My first car was a 1983 Cutlass Supreme Brougham. It was two tone, black sides with silver hood roof & trunk lid. It had the Buick 231 V6, no race car here but a great cruiser and very comfortable & usable seats. I miss that car, a lot of great memories.

15. Altaris

Altaris

1991 Ford Taurus. Got it when I was 16.

Total piece of crap. Luckily after many stalls at stop lights I took it to a shop, and found out I had a 50,000 mile warranty on it. I had 49,988 miles on it when I took it in, and got $1500 in parts alone replaced(labor would have been crazy) because the transmission was fubar. If I had driven it to school one more day I would have been over the miles for the warranty. I got super lucky. I guess that could be a good and bad memory :supergrin:

16. ranger1968

ranger1968

My first car was a 1970 Chevelle SS with a 396.... I saved up from part time jobs and snow-sholveling gigs, and I got it for $800 in 1984, which was a pretty good deal. It was a beast, and could use leaded gas, which was like $.70 a gallon....I sold it a few years later for $1000, and I thought I did great. :cool:

If I only knew.....:crying:

17. glock2619

glock2619 Work in Progres

'55 Chevy pickup. Stepside short box. Wasn't perfect at all, but a sharp truck. Mustang 2 front end, 400 small block, turbo 400 transmission. Relocated gas tank under the bed etc. Sucked gas like it was going out of style.

I don't miss fixing it frequently just to keep it running. Seemed like it was a constant thing.

Worked on it for about a year before I turned 16 (license). It was parked in front of a friend's house about a month(ish) after I got my license and got hit by a drunk driver. I wasn't pleased to say the least. But, it turned out nicer after it was finally fixed up.

Traded it for a '90 Chevy 4x4 fullsize. Great truck too.

18. speedsix

speedsix

1981 Toyota Collora SR-5. POS!

19. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

'89 Chrystler LeBaron 2 door coupe. 2.5 liter turbo-charged 4 cylinder, 175 hp FWD. I absolutely ATE lowered Hondas in High School with that car. Topped it out once at 140 mph, unfortunately, it never ran the same after that, and it came down with numerous problems. So many, in fact, my father finally gave it away and bought me a Kia.

I miss that car so much...:crying:

20. Altaris

Altaris

I would like to add to this thread....

I think everyone should have to deal with a pile of crap as their first car. It builds character, teaches you lessons about cars, and Really makes you appreciate the cars you get later on in life :supergrin: