Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Native Mainiac
25,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was 16, two of my buddies and I picked potatoes to buy our own deer rifles. (OK...our dads had to buy them, but it was our money)

I wanted and got a Remington 760 BDL in 30-06. ($114.00 new at Value House in Bangor Maine in 1974 :supergrin: )

Bob got a .35 Remington Marlin 336.

Pat went 100% traditional and ended up with a Winchester 94 in 30-30.

I don't know how many hours we debated the virtues of our chosen deer slayers. It was a whole lot of fun, and now almost 40 years later, I still get a kick out of arguing about what magic caliber / gun combination will kill a deer better than any other choice. I was stupid and sold my rifle several years later. I've lost touch with my high school buddies....wonder if they still have their first center fires??

When did you become a "gun expert"?? And what was you best pick when you were young??

·
Registered
141 Posts
I grew up in a small farming community in South Dakota. For the most part around here where I grew up and still hunt the land is relatively flat and open. The very first deer I ever shot was with a borrowed Winchester Model 94 .30-30 Winchester. It dropped the deer in it's tracks and every single person in the hunting party told me a .30-30 can't kill a deer that far away. I replied that I did what my older brother told me to do, I had to wait till the deer got out of the ravine and on the flat before I could shoot, so when the deer got onto the flat I shot.

Convinced the members of my hunting party were right and considering my brother had a then new Remington Model 742 6mm Remington I just had to have a 6mm Remington. It would have been the fall of 1973 or 74 I bought a new Remington Model 788 6mm Remington with the mounted 4x Tasco Scope and two boxes of Remington Ammo for the sum of $120.00 if I remember right. Yes that rifle is long gone and so is my having a 6mm Remington but I sure do wish I still had that old Rifle at times.

Larry

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
10 gage VS 12 gage mag for hunting goose. 10 gage was the traditional winner but new 12 gage ammo challenged that. I was on the high tech 12 gage side but all I owned were 12 gages. My buddies argued for 10 gage but they had 10 gage Ithaca's.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
This isn't really a caliber war but its the same idea. Before I was allowed to get a gun I had a pellet gun, as did my next door neighbor John. I was 7 he was 9. He liked to use flat head pellets for "slaying" black birds and I used the "pointy" ones.

We would argue daily about witch was better. Finally I got some old phone books out, a few cans of soda, and a 2x4 and we did some "tests."

Said test didn't solve a damn thing and we argued until we each got real guns a few years latter. There still aren't any black birds in our little town.

The first real caliber debate came when I bought my g23. My grandpa couldn't believe it. I forget his exact words but it went something like this:

"If God wanted you to use anything other than a 45 he would have inspired John Browning to build a 50."

After I gave him some light hearted ribbing he said something like:

"I carried a 45 on my hip from one side of Korea to the other. The Corps thought it was good enough."

I reminded him that they now use a 9mm and he said:

"Yeah that's because todays kids are a bunch of p****** and can't use a mans gun. Just like what they did with the M16."

And it went on from there :D

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
7,257 Posts
But God did inspire John Browning to come up with the BHP ;)

All kidding aside, caliber wars are fun. :)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
BB or .177 pellet.....BB won out!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow fullclip, I can't say I've seen anyone else online from that part of the country. My dad grew up in limestone and graduated around the time you got your rifle. He also spent much of his youth picking potatoes.

·
Da Da
7,230 Posts
actual war 1975:

Me, 22 cal air pistol, match grade.

Brother, sling shot with 38cal steel ball.

We are in a stand off point blank, him pointing it at me, fully drawn, me drawn and pointed at him.

I know his will actually kill me if he fires, but before he does I shoot him in the ring finger and he gets a face full of sling shot.

I run way.

22 cal airguns rule.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
.410 vs .22lr. I had a single shot break action .410 when I graduated from BB guns, but the neighborhood kids all had .22s. Sure it takes forever to reload, but it's hard to miss cans with a spread of birdshot.

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,728 Posts
I guess it would be either a .177 or .22 air rifle or whether BB's or pellets were the best. I liked that BB's would brake glass a lot easier than the softer pellets, but pellets were more accurate. On the other hand you could just fill up the stock with BB's and shoot all day long while pellets were a single shot affair. This was an important consideration since I very often went out and hunted old thrown away glass coke bottles and cans, anything really that I thought needed shooting. Many hours and long summer days were spent with an old pneumatic BB/pellet rifle in my hand.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Great thread, Fullclip. Now you've got me curious about you and your two buddies. You argued about your calibers for hours but what we're your results? Who shot more deer dead, and we're they DRT, or did they run 100 yards through the woods?

Personally, I love caliber wars, but if I'm being honest, if I wouldn't want to stand in front of it and let someone shoot me with it, it's a plenty effective caliber in my book! :)

·
Native Mainiac
25,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow fullclip, I can't say I've seen anyone else online from that part of the country. My dad grew up in limestone and graduated around the time you got your rifle. He also spent much of his youth picking potatoes.
Yeah, I'm a "County Boy"...grew up in Houlton and picked potatoes every fall from 3rd grade through 10th...then got a job pumping gas at a station off the I95 exit for Houlton..:supergrin:

Picking spuds gave us a good work ethic so I'm told....and it was a good way to make money back then. Think it's all harvesters now, and what picking is done now is mostly by migrants. Things have changed a lot in The County since your Dad and I were lugging those baskets.

·
Native Mainiac
25,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
..............................................................................................Who shot more deer dead, and we're they DRT, or did they run 100 yards through the woods?
None of us got one that fall, but the next year I got a spike horn. Head shot from about 50 yards...he was playing peek-a-boo around a tree. The 180gr Corelokt did a tune on him...dropped and twitched for a few minutes. Needless to say, there wasn't much left for a mount.

My buddy Bob got a big buck (and it got bigger every time he told the story..:supergrin:) His .35 Remington dropped it after three or for jumps...hit in the classic heart/lung area broadside from about the same distance.

Pat never got one that I know of.....he had a hot girlfriend...and had better things to do I guess....:whistling:

All of the above are good guns...although I knew I had the distance advantage over the rimmed lever action cartridges...but even then I knew that 100 yards is a long long way in the Maine woods.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
I got into a caliber war with the late, great Colonel Jeff Cooper back in around 1993. Yes, that Jeff Cooper. We exchanged a couple of letters about 5.56mm versus 7.62 NATO. I should have kept the letters.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
I got into a caliber war with the late, great Colonel Jeff Cooper back in around 1993. Yes, that Jeff Cooper. We exchanged a couple of letters about 5.56mm versus 7.62 NATO. I should have kept the letters.
I am gathering that Col. Cooper wasn't a fan of 5.56?

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Hehe.

Except that a couple decades later, with more wisdom attained, I realized that the late Colonel was right. And I laugh as the youngsters trying to convince me with the same arguments I've made to the Colonel. Karma is a beotch.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Just curious, but what was his primary gripe about 5.56?
It is really cool that you got to correspond with him! He was definitely very opinionated and had no qualms about speaking his mind.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts