close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What was the worst car or truck you've ever owned?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Annoyedgrunt, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

I don't know how long it's been since one of these "worst car I've had" threads came up, but I always find them interesting. I like working on, talking about, and reading about cars and the issues that come up with them. Let's hear some stories about the worst, most problematic car and the problems that it had.

And for the love of god, people, let's NOT turn this thread into a pissing match between brands. Let's NOT hear

"Well, that's what you get for buying a _______."

or

"If you don't buy 'Merican cars, then you hate 'Merica and want Japan to win!"

or

"My Tundra built in 'Merica is better than your Mexican-built Ford!"

Let's keep this impartial, and just share individual stories and anecdotes, and no judging and prosthelytizing.

I guess I'll start. It was an '88 5.0 Mustang that had numerous mods done to it, some by me and some by the previous owner. It had aftermarket intake, heads, headers, X-pipe, 3:73 gears, cold air intake, and subframe connectors. In its prime it was a fast car, and was just a fun car to have.

But, problems started. Stuff would just quit working. The radio, fuel gauge, brake lights, dash lights, no A/C or heater (previous owner had taken off the A/C pump, to reduce drag on the serpentine belt to try get just a little more HP, don't remember why the heater coil was removed) just all kinds of nickel-and-dime crap.

The starter was right next to the right section of the exhaust, and had a wonderful habit of getting bad heat soak from it, and wearing out prematurely. Like in a couple of months. I tried different starters from re-man's to Napa Gold, I tried wrapping both the starter and pipe with exhaust pipe wrap- with the wrap, it still got hot, just took longer.

But the most vexing problem was an exhaust leak into the cabin. It was coming off of the left header collector, where it joined to the X-pipe. It was a ball-and-socket joint, and I must have hit a speed bump too hard or something, because one day it just started leaking and I couldn't get it to seal up right, no matter how many times I loosened it, moved it around, and re-tightened. I tried high-temp RTV sealant, but that just burned off in a few minutes. I suppose I could have taken it to a muffler shop in town and had them convert it to a flange fitting, but I was a broke college kid at the time and didn't have the money for it.

To make an already long story short, I ended up selling it for a song- $700- and I was happy to get that, and just be rid of the thing. 5.0's are fun, but you have to stay on top of them.

Let's hear some lemon-car (or truck, or whatever) stories!

2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

75 Saab, It was free. The dealer refused to take it in on trade when my uncle bought a TR-7 so he gave it to me.

3. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

I am 63 years old and have probably owned 35 cars and trucks, and I have never had a bad one. Quien sabe?

4. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

I've personally never had a very problematic vehicle, so I'll talk about the trouble we had with one of my wife's rides. it was a Mazda CX-7, and was a total clunker. She bought it as a demo, and only had it about two years. During that time we had to replace the fuel filler neck, fuel pump, A/C compressor, and a coil pack. What made it worse was that it took the dealership several visits to correctly diagnose some of the problems. It seemed like the thing was in the shop more than it was our garage.

5. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

1970 and 1/2 Chevrolet Vega.
    In three years and 60,000 miles, the alternator failed twice, the fenders developed cancer, the carburetor had to be rebuilt three times because it leaked gasoline, the exhaust system was full of holes in 12 months and the clutch failed at 10,000 miles.

Most of the repairs were under warranty and the service lot looked like a Vega convention there were so many waiting for service. I happened to run into the servcie manager in a restaurant one night and he asked how my Vega was doing. I told him I had no idea, that I had traded it for a Porsche 911. I swear he wanted to hug me. :supergrin:

6. dango

dango

!971 Ford Torino GT. The car made lots noise but didn't go anywhere. Junk !

7. countrygun

countrygun

'73 Dodge Dart, slant 6. trrying to think of something good about it

trying

trying

nope/

8. Peter_72

Peter_72

The worst thing I ever owned was an 86 Nissan king cab, I spent more time working on it than I did driving it. The last time I drove it the motor was in the process of coming apart smoking heavily and knocking bad when it actually caught on fire, I drove it off the road and watched it burn!

9. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Two.

1973 Dodge Dart Swinger
    w/ 225 Slant Six.
    Electronic ignition. 1st year for electronic ignition.
    Replaced alternator, voltage regulator, ignition module, ballast resistor multiple times (each!) in the 2-1/2 years that I owned it.

1978 Ford Mustang II.
    I bought it for my (then) fiance.
    T-Tops leaked like a screen was in place of the glass.
    In the 6 months that we owned the car, it spent over 4-1/2 months in the shop, trying to stop the leaks.
    The final straw was when the T-Top shattered and fell onto my fiance.
    The Ford dealership gave us 100% credit on the car, for a new '79 Mustang. (They also paid the ER bill for the cuts from the glass falling on her. They were afraid of being sued!)

10. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

biggest toad we ever owned? 2001 volvo v-70 wagon.

by the time i traded that pile o' junk in, i actually wanted to invade sweden.

11. Berto

Berto woo woo

1997 Jeep TJ sport.
    I loved it, but it was a POS.
    ABS sensor
    Gas gauge sensor
    F. Susp rebuild
    Head gasket
    Exhaust Manifold
    Steering column replaced
    HVAC system serviced/replaced (3x)

To be fair, it was all under warranty, I bought it used with 13K and sprung for the 5yr/60K extended consumer-reports-says-it's-a-waste-of-money warranty from the dealer.
    It paid for itself by a crapload. This was all in its first 50K

12. Ross-in-Pa

Ross-in-Pa Western Pa

2004 Ford Excursion with the 6.0L Powerstroke diesel.

That truck ruined me on Ford diesels.

13. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

1974 Ford Torino. The doors rusted out in three years, to the point where they were two flaps of metal held together by the trim panel.

14. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Dodge Omni. We were down and out, just back to work after a 14 month layoff and I bought what was the Consumer Somethingorother car of the year in the value catagory. Last time I have even read one of those things.

Didn't last 90,000 miles before the engine went, preceded by the entire air conditioning system ($900 in 80s dollars), rust through below the rear window and at the bottom of the doors, (from the inside) and several sensors and switches.

It was so bad that I wouldn't sell it and couldn't afford to crush it so I donated it to a charity who supposedly repaired cars using donated labor and gave them to working poor people. I figure if someone got it for nothing and it got them to work and back for a year it was worth it.

15. clancy

clancy

1985 Dodge Daytona Trubo. It would just stop running, with no warning, at any speed. Then it might start, or it might not. It once would not start for 2 days, then started up like a champ. Took it to the dealer at least once a week for the 9 months I had it. A special team of technicians came form Detroit and hooked it up the computer they brought with them. The only problem the computer found was that the air conditioning wasn't hooked up. The car didn't have AC. I went to trade it, the dealer wouldn't take it on a trade. I gave it t a friend who knew the issue, he didn't care as long as the car was free. He damn sure cared when the car stopped in the center of the Tappan Zee Bridge during morning rush hour. He got out just before a truck totaled it.

1986 Dodge Aspen. Would not start when it rained, when it looked like it might rain, or if it rained 50 miles away. Rear window shattered 3 times, while it wasn't moving. Once in my driveway, twice while at work. If there weren't witnesses I would have thought someone was smashing the window.

2001 Ford Taurus. The whole front end had to be replaced at 15,000 miles. Steering column, tie rods, everything that had to do with wheels and steering. At 20k the electrical system took a crap, and the car had to be rewired.

2005 Chevy 1500 4wd truck. Transmission went at 9K, rear end went at 15K, at around 25K it developed a problem in the system that would shut the truck off if you had the radio and ac on at the same time. At 30k the wheel bearings went. and they went again at 55k and at 70K.

I now drive a Hyundai.

16. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

The one I have now. 04 Cavalier. Bought i at 18 months old with 19k on it. First day I owned it, it had to be towed to a dealership do to a throwout bearing cracking in half in the transmission. And the slave cylinder on the clutch blew up at the same time. A bunch of other small things, the slave cylinder happened again at 50k. The entire front suspention had to be replaced twice. The slave cylinder is slowly failing again at 65k. The entire gauge cluster stopped working, one gauge at a time. The air conditioning works ok as long as you are driving 25+ MPH

Last GM I will ever own.

17. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

I'll be the first to add Toyota to the list.

1991 Toyota 4Runner. I absolutely loved that truck but it was a mechanical nightmare. My poor dad spent more money on repairs than he did the vehicle. It simply would not run. The dealership couldn't even determine what was wrong with it.

18. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

1986 Dodge truck, 318 and a 3 speed auto. Far and away the most joyless vehicle I've ever owned, lacking in esthetics, serviceability, and towards the end of my time of ownership, a reverse gear.

It smelled like feet, rattled in at least 4 distinct places, and the sound of the door slamming shut was a sharp metal-on-metal WHAP! sound.

19. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

You're aware of the repercussions involved in making mention of a possible no-hitter mid-game, right?

20. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr SAC trained warrior CLM

2001 Chevy S10.......brakes went to the floor nine times, Chevy
    denied the lemon law claim. Dealer falsified documents.
    Sued the **** out of them,......will never buy or drive another GM
    product.

[​IMG]