close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Was the Best Car or Truck you Owned and why?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by windplex, Jun 20, 2012.

1. windplex

windplex

I am springboarding off the recent thread on worst car/truck.

For me I loved my VW Kubblevagon (aka Thing). Need another!!! Mine was safety orange. mine had the 4 doors permanently removed, windshield always folded down and roof always down.roll cage like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=73+v...189&start=0&ndsp=35&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:0,i:135

datsun 1973 240z/scarab bal, blue printed and line bored 327 remanufacture serial # 157
    I have this one still and need to put in some TLC -- or sell to good home: Best bang for the performance buck. quicker than over 50% of ferraris and anyone can fix it; and cheap! this is not mine but same color and close to same body. made me drive it like i stole it every time.

http://www.carsbase.com/photo/photo_full.php?id=21451

I also loved my wife's 1981 civic with the "upgraded" 1500cc engine, 5sp manual over the base 1300. 45 mpg and fun to drive to the last day we owned it!

http://www.carsbase.com/photo/photo_full.php?id=21451

1987 acura integra 4door hatch - 60 series tires; 4 wheel discs; high revving dual over head cam1.6 4 engine with a whopping 112 hp usable power for the road. auto crossed this. quite fun; ; hatch swallowed all my windsurfing gear - wagaon when you needed it. sleek design.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/acura/integra_acura_1gen/integra_acura_1gen_5-door/1986.html

First gen taurus v-6 over 30 mpg at 75 mph. handled well. style that aped the new audi style. large and useful. teathing pains like tranny covered under warranty. q-ship.

http://www.productioncars.com/gallery.php?car=7514&make=Ford&model=Taurus

1994 sentra ser - 150 hp; limited slip tranny; 7.5 sec to 60 when gt mustang was about 6.5; perfect q-ship. double over head chams, 4 wheel discs, 60 series tires. fantastic for autocross. timing chain - no replacement. encouraged drive it like you stole it most of the time. mine looked exactly like this one:

http://autopolis.wordpress.com/2009/09/07/1991-1994-nissan-sentra-se-r/

Ok so I loved many of my cars for different reasons. So sue me:rofl:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Nissan Frontiers... both of them a 2004 and a 2011. They just run with basic maintenance. They handle like sports cars and the 2011 is crazy quick... plus it's a 4x4. The 2004... I whip that thing around corners like it's a vette, scares the crap out of the BMW drivers when I pass them in a corner. The 2004 also gets really great mileage for a truck.

Nissan quality is really the top dog right now. Toyota used to be there but now it's Nissan who's king.

3. Kyle M.

Kyle M.

Mine would have to be my current. 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, I'm the second owner 102k miles, 82k when I bought it last summer. I've got nothing but good things to say about this car, it's in mint condition, has power everything, has ice cold air, is more comfortable than anything I've ever been in, I can work on it myself, plus it still gets 28mpg on the highway not too bad for a 5 liter v8. Second place would go to my 95 grand marquis which was my first car, though I'm still not too fond of that 4.6 SOHC v8. It was in pretty good shape but didn't have all the bells and whistles my 88 has.

Im not even gonna name the other two cars I've had, they were a couple of real POS's

4. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

My current car, a 2012 Audi A6 3.0T quattro premium plus with 19" sports package. It is fast, comfortable, loaded with gadgets, good looking, and feels like it was built to withstand a nuclear blast. The supercharged V6 pulls very strongly through the rev range, it is not peaky at all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I had a Focus SVT.

After Ford worked out the horrible, horrible manufacturing issues in their North American Focus lines, the Focus was a darned solid vehicle. The SVT version had worthy brakes/suspension/interior details. Aside from its very unfortunate FWD setup, it handled fantastically (there's a reason it was king of rally races). It had room for people and for hauling things. I miss it.

People loved the European designed Focus so-much that Ford's American arm replaced it with an inferior American design. Idiots. The updated Euro-Focus is back, though. If I weren't dedicated to never again buying a FWD vehicle, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

6. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Trump Tower, overlooking the wall Mexico bought.
    1988 Honda CRX Si just like this:

[​IMG]

Some hit & run idjit totalled mine in '94.:crying:

My last new car, my last manual transmission.

7. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

A buddy of mine had one in high school. It was a fun car just to ride in.

8. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

9. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

1993 Porsche 911 C2 Type 964 series P.

The last run of 911s with the upright headlights.
    Only 520 made.
    Great mileage.
    Great handling and performance.
    Daily driver that can go straight to the track.
    Series "P" differential lets me hit dirt or gravel on mountain roads and not break loose.
    My wife looks great in it.

Only problem is that on the track she drives it better than me.

10. Royo

Royo BCPD

My 2004 Nissan Titan. I bought it new with six miles on it. It has 82k on it now. I used it as an everyday driver and it has served as my hunting and fishing truck. I dogma lot of waterfowl hunting in the fall and winter . I have put a K&N cold air intake and a Magna flow dual exhausts on it. Now it takes off and sounds awesome. It has been the best truck I ever owned.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. windplex

windplex

Oops. Had a customer's email hyjacked and sent him the links his email sent me. accidentally pasted it instead of a photo. hope no one went there; i havent and wont. likely will hyjack your email as well and send to your email list -- could be embarrasing or generate desirable attention - your mileage may vary:supergrin::wavey:

12. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

1969 Mustang, need I say more.

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

1989 Ford Probe GL. That mutha had 120,000-miles of hard driving including three crashes and the only thing that ever broke down was the alternator at 110K-miles. I sold it off cheap to a coworker so that she can teach her teenage kids how to drive a stick shift. That damn clutch/tranny combo was bulletproof. Five years ago, when I last saw the coworker, she said her THIRD son is practicing on it.

I wish that every Mazda ever made was that tough.

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

One of the homies had a regular CRX and that thing was a hoot to drive. Imagine if Honda were to do a new version with fatter tires, rear wheel drive and a bigger engine.

Oh yeah, and his idiot brother crashed that CRX too.:steamed:

15. badge315

badge315

Without a doubt, my '96 Ford Bronco...aka, the Urban Assault Vehicle. :supergrin:

[​IMG]

16. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I am tempted to post my "favorite" rides but that doesnt answer the question.

the "best" car was without a doubt the "Ranchillac." I chronicled the adventures of the ranchillac right here on GT for many years and a number of my friends from GT have seen or been in the Ranchillac (like the night it was a makeshift dog kennal, as it often was, while I dinned with Mr. Murphy.

It was a 1998 Cadillac SLS. Under normal use, it was a pretty fine car. Very comfortable, somewhat stylish, reasonable power and reasonable mileage and they could be (and can be) had for real cheap.

The Ranchillac came to me with (fuzzy memory) 60ish thousand miles on it (probably a lease turn in) in 2001. I bought it for someone in a business I was involved in at the time who was on the road non stop. They rolled it up to about 160K when the relationship ended in 2003ish.

I started using it to roll back and forth to my ranch with the dog. It was in remarkable shape and was not worth much so I did not care if it got tore up....and that is what (we) did. It became a joke. How much abuse could this car take.

We jumped the thing on dirt roads (little jumps) hauled stuff in it, beat it around in fields....and decided not to change any fluids, only to cap them off if needed. The damned car just wouldnt die. I sat in a parking lot one night and probably did 10 "neutral drops" from redline....it shrugged it off.

Yes, things started to break but nothing that would keep the car from rolling down the road in a safe way. Being a GM, the car began to fall apart around the drivetrain, that just kept going.

In the end, the Ranchillac gave up its ghost at 254,000 miles over 2 years ago. No oil change for close to 80K miles and several years. No nothing. AC still worked.

I was so damned happy when this thing died. It had become a noose around my neck. The joke had become so strong, I just had to keep rolling in this thing.

17. Berto

Berto woo woo

91 Nissan p/u, 5sp KA24E engine.
    I bought it new in '91, still drive it every day, it runs great and carries my stuff.

18. Kyle M.

Kyle M.

As much as I despise GM I will admit those northstars will run forever. I ran one for 23,000 miles with little to no oil in it, and it took 23,000 miles till it finally spun a main bearing. It may have made it even longer if it didn't have 200,000+ on it when I bought it. It was in a 02 eldorado 50th anniversary edition I bought it in the summer of 2010 it was a one owner and like brand new when I got it, but I got it for $800 and didnt really care what happened to it.

19. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

'81 Chevy half ton, base truck, 3 on the tree, six cyl. Bought it new, ran it 134K miles with NO repairs, only fluids and filters. I worked it harder than it was designed for, only sold it because I badly needed a heavier duty truck. I sold it to a friend and he drove it past 200K, until a log truck rolled into it.

Two current vehicles have both been great, but they'll bring on the haters.

1. '97 Dodge 2500 CTD, 4wd, 5 speed. Well over 200K, fluids, filters, one set of front brakes at 175K, one cruise control servo ~195K. Half its miles have been pulling a 30' Airstream around the U.S.

2. '03 VW Jetta TDI, 5 speed. Also over 200K, minor repairs (wiper motor, sway bar bushings, front wheel bearings), fluids and filters. 48 mpg lifetime average.

My vehicles generally last a long time with few problems, but I'm after the maintenance all the time.

20. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

WOW, that's a toughie....
    Best? Only one? Can't do it. How about categories?

Most fun: 1978 Z28, 4 speed, posi. It was a little souped up and a handful for a 17 year old. I once beat a mid 60s Vette. 3 times, before he gave up. True story! Man, he was pissed. I always had a blast, in that car. My friend said I had 2 speeds, in it, stomped and stopped. :supergrin:

I really like my current 2004 Subaru legacy, but I once had a 1990 Suzuki Swift, when I lived in Florida. That car was fun to drive and got 37 mpg, doing 80 mph, with the AC on! I commuted in that car for 4 years. I bought it at wholesale and sold it for retail. Yeah, I shoulda kept it.