What was it like when the Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) Expired?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by raven11, Feb 23, 2010.

1. raven11

raven11

I wasn't old enough to have guns when the AWB law sunset. and i was always curious what was it like the last days before and after it sunset were magazine prices still crazy? did some the weapons change names overnight?

2. Reheater

Reheater Yarr

People scalping money on HiCap pistol mags right up to the day before it expired.... HK 91 owners acting like the ban is still in place and wanting obscene amounts of money for their rifles. People demanding money for "Pre Ban" weapons just because they were bought when it was in place and refusing to adjust to the market suddenly being flooded with the same rifle at a much cheaper price....

Yeah good times.

3. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

It ended??

J/K, still living under a ban here in CT.

4. 1811guy

1811guy Formerly1811guy2

FYI - HK 91 rifles have not been imported since 1989 under a separate act that was signed by Bush Sr. The ban on them is still in place and there is no sunset provision. There is a finite supply, hence, higher prices. Fortunately there are companies like PTR91.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  5. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

In the handful of months leading up to the expiration, it was becoming obvious that it wouldn't be reinstated, so prices were falling.

But I don't know anybody that had a huge stash they were trying to unload at that point.

I had a couple dozen mags I paid WAY too much for (compared to today's prices) - but I got plenty of good use out of them and just consider it a cost of life.

kestrou

6. Mikey444

Mikey444 sacré bleu!

I wept. With joy. Then immediately bought some 13rd mags.

7. Greg F.

Greg F.

I'll tell you what it's like when it expires. It's still going strong here in Ca.

8. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Hmmm.To be honest, I could still get anything I wanted even during the ban.I just had to pay an insane price for it.Those 25 round butler creek 10/22 mags were rarer then hens teeth at 75 bucks a pop.Ban went away and suddenly there were hundreds for 19.95.lol.

9. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

Yep, there was wiseguys with Glock mags still trying to get $100 each. Some, if it was up to them, the ban would STILL be in place so that they could still be raking in the dough.

Kind of just like some Class III guys want to keep the ban in place so that the value of their 'investments' doesn't drop.

10. Reheater

Reheater Yarr

Didnt know that, but they are still out of their minds. Ive got a P7, it didnt magically double in value while it sat in the safe because they stopped making them.

11. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

All in what the market will hold, my friend. Something is worth what someone will pay you for it. :wavey:

12. USPMAN

USPMAN

Thanks for making me feel old, OP. I remember when it passed, although I wasn't old enough to buy any assault weapons at the time.

13. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

The AWB made the AR what it is today.

When ARs were readily available before the ban, there were a handful of makers/resellers of ARs, and no one much wanted one -- they were viewed as a filthy plastic gimmick made by the lowest bidder for the military, shooting an underpowered prairie dog round.

But once Clinon/Reno said they were the spawn of the devil, and that mere mortal citizen subjects must not even touch them, they instantly acquired the universal appeal of forbidden fruit -- suddenly EVERYBODY wanted one.

Pent up demand was unleashed when the ban finally ended, and today there are dozens and dozens of AR makers and resellers.

Now they are the ultimate Action Figure for Mall Ninjas everywhere, essentially Barbie for Men -- trade them with your friends, and collect all the accessories that fit on a Mil Std 1913 interface rail.

The AWB created the AR industry -- which, considering the bursting of the Tech Bubble, was about the ONLY lasting industry that Clinton created....

-ET

14. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Everybody was chomping at the bit to swap out stocks and thread muzzles. "Where to buy mags?" threads all the time. Sellers at gun shows acting like the ban was permanent (some even said so), with their rifles priced high and magazines even higher.

$90 magazines went back to $20 overnight.

15. Squaw Man Wolfer

Squaw Man Wolfer

I think some dealers really took a hit, mainly small gun show dealers.

16. njl

njl Crusty Member

The best part was 44mag.com taking pre-orders on Glock high-cap mags. They were offering used FML high-caps for like $11 each...and I ordered a whole bunch. You could put the order in before the ban expired, and they shipped after the ban expired. Prior to that, I'd paid anywhere from $40 to $60 each for NFML high-caps.

17. Reheater

Reheater Yarr

I will put in a point of good customer service that came out right when the ban was gonna go.

I bought a USP 3 weeks before the ban expired from my local shop in college. Guy that owned it was like "hey here's 2 10 round mags, come back in 3 weeks and Ill trade you out for some hicaps Ive got sitting in the back waiting."

18. Fumble

Fumble RIP Poom . . .

The December before the ban expired I sold a dealer at a gun show three Glock 17 hi-cap mags for $90 each. He turned around and put them on his table of $120 - I bet he still has them. I had bought them from a retiring cop for $15 each. Then the next summer I replaced those three mags with three new hi-cap mags for $20 each.

19. tc2129

tc2129

I was just getting into firearms during AWB. I remember the high prices for hi-cap mags.
    I bought a Glock 23 during that time and still have quite a few 10 round mags for it that I bought during that time. Right after the ban expired, prices came down so fast, it was almost like a light switch was flipped. I was getting 13 rounders for about $15 a piece after the expiration.
    I really hated the ban, as I am sure most people here did too.
    I am so glad I live in a State that doesn't have something similar still in place.

20. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I remember showing up at my favourite gunhop right after school the day the ban ended to see what I could find and he had nothing. Later on(months later) I bought my first Glock(a 27) so I could take advantage of the cheap hi cap clips(I got a new production 15 rd mag for $25.)

Also during the ban I once bought a new gun that held 14 or so rounds(marlin Model 60) I think it was a fluke or something.