What video card cooler do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by RaiderRodney, Aug 25, 2004.

1. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Hey, I just got an ATI X800 Pro by Saphire a few weeks ago and when using ATItool I really can OC this thing nicely. However I want to invest in a good quality vido card cooler before I melt it down :(

So far I like both of the Zalman's:

ZM80C-HP VGA Heatpipe Cooler

ZM80D-HP Noiseless VGA Cooler

I just wanted to know what everyone else uses and what kind of cooling results you are getting?

thanks,

RaiderRodney

2. RaiderRodney

anybody.....anybody...:)

3. mdlestat

mdlestat

If you can't find the best selection here, my good man, you're never gonna :)

http://www.hardocp.com/index.html

I love this site---there are plenty of links to similar sites within as well...

4. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

I've got the C version on my 9600XT. The D version wasn't available when I built this latest machine. I used it simply for the fanless design as I was going for a quiet machine. I fiddled with overclocking a bit but don't play enough games to make it worth it...especially with the relatively weak machine I've got. It has cooled well.

Check for the fittment with your particular card. When I was researching, I believe people were having trouble getting that cooler on the 9800XT or 9800 Pro. I can't remember which.

Installation was interesting. There were some issues with alignment and it was a tight fit getting everything in there.

For my uses, I'd definately buy one again.

5. RaiderRodney

Yeah, the compatability was worrying me a tad too. I ordered the VGA CO0LINGATI SILENCER 4 RT by Arctic Cooler made for the X800 series cards. I like the way it vents the hot air straight out of the case as well. Ordered from newegg.com along with a CPU cooler and some arctic silver. I will post back when I get it installed. Thanks everyone for the comments :)

6. Tvov

Tvov

Is there a big problem with overheating due to graphic cards? This year, I put an ATI Radion 9600 in my Gateway Pentium IV 2g, and haven't had any heat problems. The cooling fan on my comp is variable speed, and sometimes (rarely) you can hear it speed up, but then it quickly goes back down. I use it rather extensively for gaming, including processor hogs like Halo.

Does overheating mainly occur due to overclocking?

Just curious, as I've never had an overheating problem with any of my computers.

7. mdlestat

mdlestat

Yes, overclocking increases the temperature (much more significantly the higher you OC).
    While a stock-clocked system can get toasty, unless there is a malfunction of some sort the temps fall well within safe operating ranges.
    If you haven't OC'd anything, you have no real need to super-cool---though cooler IS always better, the gains would be minimal for you.

8. RaiderRodney

Well, installed today and it performs wonderfully. Even oc'd at 500/540 it idles at a cool 45-47C. Even under load of 3dmark03 only put out around 57C. I did also add a Arctic Cooler Super Silent 4ProL on the cpu and a case side 80mm fan.

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Anyone wanting a great card cooler should look at the arctic cooling products at newegg.com the make for each individual card :)