close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What type of arrows do you use?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Esox357, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Esox357

Esox357

I am having a dozen arrows made up. I looked at the aluminum game getter arrows and they cost $53.00 dollars per dozen, including the vanes but without the tips. The guy pointed me to the carbon arrows called golden tips that are $69.00 dollars per dozen. Do you bowhunters recommend a different arrow shaft and is this cost resonable? Thanks Esox357

2. Hokie3

Hokie3

Gold Tips are very popular. I highly recommend them myself. I shoot the XT 7595's and like them a lot. Fast and durable. Make sure you get helical or offset fletching if you're going to shoot fixed blade broadheads. They get the arrow spinning faster and don't allow the broadhead to steer the arrow. Good luck!

3. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Ditto on the Gold Tips. And they're graphite, not carbon. They are the best arrows I've ever used, and the fastest. I prefer feathers for fletching. The plastic vanes seem to "take a set" in cold weather, and keep it, if you don't handle them just right in transporting them in your bow case. If they do this, they don't fly straight. $69.00 is about the average price. A few years ago, they sold for as much as $100 a dozen... but they have since come down in price due to their popularity and a bigger quantity of sales. Stick with broadheads 100 grs. or less (85 or 100gr mechanicals is a good choice). I tried the 125grs Thunderheads I used on my prior aluminum arrows, but they'd do a nosedive before 40 yards. Too much weight out front, I imagine.

BTW... Browning buys arrows from Gold Tip and puts their brand name on them. Same arrow.

4. m65swede

m65swede

Another ditto on the Gold Tips. A hunting pal recommended them to me a couple of years ago and we've both been very pleased with their performance. We both use the Gold Tip XT Hunter (plain black arrow) and order them with white fletching for greater visibility in the woods.

My friend is primarily a trophy hunter, and has collected a P&Y buck in each of the last 4 years.

There are other very good arrows out there, but the Gold Tips give excellent performance at a reasonable cost.

BTW, opening day of bow season (Oct. 1st) was nearly 90 degrees and the mosquitoes nearly ate us alive! Come on first frost.

Swede

5. sooner pete

sooner pete STOOPS FOR PRES

Bemans ics camo hunter,with a 85 gr. thunderhead.

6. BrianDamage

BrianDamage YouTalkin'ToMe?

Beman Matrix (carbon/aluminum) - about $109/doz

plastic fletchings

100 Grain Muzzy 3-Blade broadheads

Hoyt Vortec

7. badbilly429

badbilly429

im using camo carbon expresses, with game tracker first cut 100 grain mechanicals. my little cousin shot a 120 lb doe last weekend using the same arrows and bow i am, were both shooting mathews sq2's im pulling 70 lbs and hes pulling 55. he shot that doe at 37 yds pulling 55 lbs with the carbon express arrow and game tracker first cut, broke the shoulder on that doe. those broadheads are wicked.