Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll admit error on my part. I underestimated my ability to replace the defensive ammo I loaded in my carry gun. (A Springfield XDs in 9mm). I shot it up at my range as I rotated older ammo out, and haven’t been able to replace it.

So, I’m reduced to loading it with range ammo, in my case, some Winchester White Box 115 grain fmj. Underperformance and over penetration are two of my concerns.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Yeah, I get it, shoulda done this or that, but ”should have” isn’t very helpful.

I do have some more proper ammo for my 3” GP100, but she’s a heavy girl. I also have some defensive ammo for my 10mm XDm, but again, the freight is heavy.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hornady Critical Duty 135gr FlexLock in my MR918.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Right now doesn’t seem the time to be picky. I’d pick up any decent major brand JHP I could find right now, enough to make sure it functions, then try to find the ammo of your choice if you were unable to find it.

My choice is Federal HST 147gr standard.

·
You Breed 'Em, YOU Feed 'Em!
846 Posts
For the 1911: 230 HST
For the 9: 124 HST

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Sig had 50 round boxes of 9mm 115 JHP on their website today for $59. That’s about twice the old cost , but at least it’s available and pretty decent ammo too....

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Sig had 50 round boxes of 9mm 115 JHP on their website today for $59. That’s about twice the old cost , but at least it’s available and pretty decent ammo too....
American reloading had mixed 115/124gr lots a while back of pulled golddots, I bout 4500 pieces. Easy enough to drop them on a digital scale. You can do 500 rounds in 15 minutes pretty easy to separate them. I prefer the 124’s, either at 1245fps will put a smack down on something and they were cheap.

Thinking back, they are v-crowns I believe

·
Registered
14,835 Posts
I don’t have a problem with it. It’s weird times, do what you gotta do.

I couldn’t source any .380 JHP earlier in the year so I hand loaded my own XTPs until I can find some proper carry ammo.

I have also loaded up some relatively hot .38 spl LSWC to carry. I didn’t feel unprotected with it.

·
Registered
I buy and use guns for self protection only.
1,343 Posts
I have always used hollow points or power ball ammo in my carry guns but now with this huge ammo shortage, I am starting to examine why and maybe I may change in the near future and use just full metal jacket rounds in my 9mm guns. I am starting to believe that any rounds .380 and lower will be better using the full metal jacket! I just sold my LCP II and my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 today at my LGR because I have not been able to find any .380 and the Kel-Tec eats too much 9mm ammo! I have tapered down my guns to my two Glocks and my S&W snub nose for hand guns and my two 20 Gauge Shotguns! I think I will buy a .22 hand gun later on this year if ammo prices do not come down and become more available!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Another HornyDay Critical Defense

·
Registered
110 Posts
All my self defense guns are in 9mm, handguns and pistol caliber carbines.

All are loaded with Winchester Q4318 NATO, M882 ball.

·
woo woo
30,890 Posts
Most .38sp is loaded to pansy specs, so I tote Buffako Bore 110gr all copper in my j frame. It speed loads easy, gets 1100fps and consistent penetration and expansion. Recoil is manageable.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts