close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What to look for in a wooden kitchen table?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by joepa150, Feb 26, 2010.

1. joepa150

joepa150

We finally decided to get rid of our glass topped kitchen table! We want a wooden kitchen table but I never know what to look for. I want something that is durable, nice, and less than $1000.

Our dining room table is wooden but if you place something hot on top of it, the wood turns white. It also scratches easily and there is a nick that you can see a different color wood underneath. It seems like this table is wooden with a layer of "fancy looking" wood on top.

We are looking for something that is durable and nice looking. We want to be able to place hot things on it without it turning white. If it gets scratched or nicked, i don't want it to show.

Any ideas or tips on what to look for?

2. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

Something with a butcherblock top. I say top only because of your budget.

3. AAshooter

AAshooter

Might want to check out furniture consignment shops. Sometimes you can pick up some nice furniture from people downsizing or getting rid of their dining rooms.

4. captainstormy

captainstormy

Or goodwill type of stores. I know a lot of people that if they get new furniture or something like that around the house donate the old ones to good will stores. I've seen several nice pieces of furniture in them before.

Aside from that, you might want to see if you have any Amish furniture stores nearby. They make great stuff at good prices.

5. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Do you have a place called Furniture in the Raw. You can get a nice oak table and stain and finish the way you want it. They can also do it for you.

6. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Yep. Butcherblock is durable and acceptable for kitchen duty.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  7. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I like Amish. You can get a nice oak table for under $1000 if you don’t mind a plain look.

Amish is sometimes cheaper than overseas products and it is often better quality. I compared a $1500 Amish maple table with a $1700 Chinese table and there was no comparison. The surface of the Chinese table scratched in the store.

One difference is the large percentage of fast-growth trees used in China and other countries. If you can, shop from someone who actually made the furniture.

8. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

+1 on the Amish furniture.

Look underneath the top, examine how things are put together, expecially if getting one with extensions. Watch out for laminate or fake wood, for the money you are looking to spend you should be able to get solid hardwood.

9. blueiron

blueiron

Make certain that there is no particle board, chip board, etc. You want solid wood construction on the table top. It lasts much longer and can be sanded to eliminate damage and refinished.

If you have small children, look for something that has a substantial base and will not tip easily.

10. joepa150

joepa150

Are there Amish places in the South? Specifically Georgia?

11. beemerphile

beemerphile CLM

There are lots of "solid oak" places in the south. If the tabletop is damaged (not easy) you can sand it, stain it, and go again. Buying it raw is a good idea to save money.

12. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

+1! With a 90lb. dog and 2 kids in the house our furniture takes a beating, so we havn't bought new in years. Opposite of what you want but we bought a wrought iron kitchen table with glass top and 4 matching chairs at a consignment shop for $300. Looked like new. On the net I couldn't find a set like it for less then $1500. We have a huge sectional couch (I think that's what they call it) with 2 built in recliners the wife found for $200. The problem now is I can't drive by a consignment shop without the wife yelling "pull in there".

13. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Solid Oak. It'll outlive you.