close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What to keep in the car for emergencies?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Oct 1, 2012.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

Non-gun related.

On my daily highway commute, I see cars broken down on the side of the road with the hood up, or whatever.
    I do not want to be on the side of the road with nothing, or break down in the middle of nowhere.
    Or, worst case scenario if there is an earthquake or whatever and I can't get home, then it would be nice to have some things.

I was thinking to have a duffle bag stuffed with essentials, and maybe some not so essential stuff (like a change of clothes, deodorant, etc.)

I have an air compressor for flat tires.
    I also keep some energy bars in the glovebox.
    I used to carry a flat of bottled water too, but I never got around to replacing it.

What do you/should you keep in your car in case of emergencies? When I go far distances, my car is my home base (I don't live in it...but hell, I could sleep in it for the night if need be) so am planning to keep it filled with essential goods.

Input appreciated.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

A couple of bottles of water, some of those nutrition bars, Swiss Army Knife, Swiss Army Rescue Tool, Surefire G2 LED with the OSHA Yellow body, a Slime tire repair kit complete with air compressor.

Edit to add: Lots of condoms because you never know if you may be gang raped by a bunch of horny co-eds.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

3. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

:rofl:

Fn thinks of everything!

4. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member Silver Member

Reflector triangle, flares, fixaflat, compressor, Leatherman, fire extinguisher, jumper cables, hat, rain coat. That's usually enough for the daily commute. If I'm crossing Alligater Alley I will add several bottles of water and beef jerkey.

Of course, my G19 goes without saying... LOL

5. sputnik767

sputnik767

So you carry an air compressor, but do you carry a patch kit? Air compressor isn't going to do you any good if you can't fix the leak. I know that you probably have a spare, but a patch kit costs like $10.

Otherwise, there are very few field repairs that you can do nowadays. If you are in a situation where you are on the side of the road with your hood up, you're probably not going to get back on the road by yourself. Even if it's something as simple as a stuck thermostat and you overheat, a spare jug of antifreeze is not going to get you back on the road.

I drive primarily through very populated areas, so all I keep in my car are jumper cables, basic set of hand tools (screw driver with bits, set of allen wrenches, and a set of metric wrenches), air compressor, Surefire 9P flashlight and spare batteries, and tire patch kit. Not the Slime garbage, but something that will actually repair the tire and not make it useless for more than a short trip home. Also, a cell phone charger is a must IMO. Generally speaking, I'm not going to die of starvation or cold in the middle of NYC. Sometimes I go back home to VA, but even then, I95 is a major corridor.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Cell phone,..........

7. JDennis

JDennis

I always have a basic tool kit, a jump box with built in compressor/light/a/c and dc power as well as usb, flashlight x2, screwdrivers, hammer, hachet, multi-tool, flairs, oil, antifreeze, lighter x2, first aid kit, water, change of clothes, blanket, string, bungee's, zip ties, and a 870 lol

<--- not in that car though, just basic tools, the 6 sizes of sockets it takes, rtv, zipties, flashlight, oil, my jump box

8. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I have a canvas tool bag with the basics, adjustable wrenches, cheap socket set, water pump pliars, screw driver and bits, some hose clamps, duct tape etc plus a 20ft tow strap. On long trips I carry a nice hard tool box with S&K and Craftsman tools also. I also have a 12v air compressor in each car, jumper cables, bungee cords, and a small snow shovel. Each car has a decent flashlight, tire gage and spare fuses, headlight and tail light bulbs. (When a headlight goes out I buy two, replace both and put the extra in the glove box.)

In winter I also have a yard sale backpack with a change of clothes, extra boot socks, waterproof boots, extra sweatshirt and pants, butane lighter and a cheap multi tool. The goal there is to be able to dig out of trouble or stop and help someone, get soaked and be able to change to dry clothes. Or sleep over somewhere and not have to put on the same clothes.

In really bad winter weather I have a rubbermaid tub with a 2000# ratcheting web strap come along, propane cylinders and a catalytic heater plus a cheap wool blanket and a drop cloth.

9. southernshooter

southernshooter

gun
    extra mag
    flashlight
    2 cans of fix a flat
    tire plug kit
    water
    premixed antifreeze
    tools
    mini air compressor
    extra fuses
    cell phone
    spare tire and jack natch

10. G-30Jet

G-30Jet

I keep a clown scooter in the trunk for a quick bug-out.:rofl:

11. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to KY to NC to OH to VA to GA to NY to FL....
    A six pack of 16oz IceHouse.

12. rohanreginald

rohanreginald Novice

When I was young I used to carry a bunch of stuff in my truck. Now I carry a tow strap and perform preventative maintenance on my cars.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Typical GHB (Get Home Bag) contains a variety of stuff

Survival:
    first aid kit plus water, shelter, food, light, fire making, signaling, cooking equipment. Clothing appropriate for the climate and season, i.e., rain gear etc.

Comfort:
    Items like bug spray, baby wipes, TP, sunscreen

Tools:
    Vehicle specific such as tire plug kit, fix a flat, compressor, repair tools, spare parts.

Security:
    The OP is in Vancouver Canada so I am not sure what he can or can't carry. However basic camping supplies which may include an ax, hatchet, machete, bear spray etc may prove useful.

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

AAA membership card
    Cash
    Guns
    Water
    Snack

15. heliguy

heliguy

Cell phone and Triple A membership is all you'll ever need. Even driving through Death Valley!

16. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Like that tshirt

:cool:

17. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

A roll of toilet paper will always trump cell service and a valid credit card. HH

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

:rofl::rofl:

:rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

19. Rustydude

Rustydude

20. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

cell phone
    gloves
    jumper cables
    spotlight
    flares
    shovel
    radiator fluid
    duckt tape
    windshield washer fluid
    oil
    oil filter
    flashlight
    spare bulbs
    compressor
    tire plug kit
    screwdriver, pliers
    fuses
    flex-cuffs (I have no idea why - left over from the old days)
    reflective vest
    multi tool
    first aid kits
    crime scene tape (I have no idea why - left over from the old days)box of kleenex
    some Cliff Bars and some trail mix