close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What to expect?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 03RangerXLT, Mar 14, 2007.

1. 03RangerXLT

03RangerXLT

I am shooting my first GSSF match at Ft. Benning and I was wonderign what to expect. Are there hundreds of people that show up to shoot? Do they sell ammunition if there is a problem with what/how much I brought? Consessions? (although, I plan on heading to a killer Mexican place off base!) Should I bring a lawn chair? Drinks?
    Thanks guys!

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

but the chair and drinks are a good ideas also a snack.

Probably several hundred people.

And a good time will be had by all:supergrin:

3. Archangel Mike

Archangel Mike

Fort Benning is one of GSSF's larger matches.

Last year there were about 330 entries. About 2/3rds are usually shot on Saturday and the rest on Sunday. So, you are probably looking at 220 entries on Saturday and the rest Sunday. How long it takes to "process" that many entries depends on how many stage setups they have running.

When I have RO'd a Five to Glock or a Glock 'M, we were able to turn an entry about every six minutes, or 10 per hour. So, one setup would take 22 hours to process 220 entries. Two would take 11 hours; still too long. Three would take about 7 hours and that is getting into the reasonable range; 9AM to 4PM. Because of this we will probably see (I hope!) 3 or 4 setups of each of Five to Glock and Glock M (Cross your fingers. If they only set up two of each it is going to be a LONG day! Bring a book to read, or your DVD player and some movies to watch, just in case!).

This year there is going to be the added complication of the Gunny Challenge on Saturday afternoon. Between the larger number of entries and the Gunny Challenge, unless you want to watch the Challenge you are probably better off shooting on Sunday. 110 or so entries could be processed in 5+ hours by 2 setups. Less than 4 hours if they run three setups each as they will hopefully do Saturday.

They have never done the Challenge in conjunction with a GSSF match before so there is no telling what effect it will have on the match itself. They might even shut the main match down until the Challenge is finished. If they shut down the match for the Challenge the match may go as late as 6PM or later and will be pushing Sundown.

Any of you Masters out there who have shot the Challenge before; can you tell us how long it takes?

Registration is open about 9AM to 3PM Saturday and 9AM to 2PM on Sunday. So long as you have registered and gotten your labels within those hours, they will either keep going until the Sun goes down and it is too dark to shoot, or until everyone who got their labels has finished whichever happens first.

You are almost certainly NOT going to be able to buy ammo at the match. Glock recommends you bring 150 rounds of ammo per entry you intend to shoot. There are 81 scored rounds, but you actually load 110 rounds in your gun. (10 strings of fire, and assuming you load the maximum 11 rounds per string.)

There are four strings on the Plates, so you load a total of 44 rounds on the plates, but there are only 24 total plates. If you shot the Plates "clean", 24 shots for 24 hits, you would "save" the other 20 rounds and therefore only actually shoot about 90 rounds, plus or minus, for the match. Glock's "150 rounds per entry" is a worst case assumption that you both shoot all 44 rounds you load on the plates AND something screws up and you have to reshoot one of the 3 stages.

During all hours that the Challenge is NOT going on, everyone should be able to shoot on the Challenge setup for warm-up and trigger time. Bring more ammo for that if you want to try it.

Concessions are maybe, maybe not. Last year they DID have food available but that is never "for sure". Eat a good breakfast and bring snacks or bring a lunch. DO bring water, Gatorade, or whatever else you might want to drink.

DO bring a chair.

:angel:

4. 03RangerXLT

03RangerXLT

Thanks guys! I appreciate the answers and can't wait to try out competition shooting!

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You can also be expected to get hooked on GSSF. I always bring 10 magazines per pistol, 150 rounds per entry, water, snacks, handcleaner, eyeglass cleaner, sunscreen, raingear, a chair--all carried in a little yellow wagon. Actually, it's a largish Lowes utilty wagon.;)

6. Adam5

Adam5

You'll have a blast(literally)!!! Conyers, last fall, was my 1st. Ever since, I've been waiting for another match in the area. I've been shooting a monthly indoor match, but it isn't the same. I have a score to settle with that plate rack........

7. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Conyers, last fall, was my 1st. Ever since, I've been waiting for another match in the area.

TOLD YOU that would happen:supergrin:

8. Adam5

Adam5

I'm not complaining !!!:supergrin:

9. Defiance

Defiance

If the match is at the same place as last year (I think it is) your car will probably only be about 100 yards away at all times. You won't have to lug all of your excess gear (rain gear, food, etc.) around all day if you don't want to.

There's no place to sit other than on the dirt at Ft. Benning, so a folding chair is a good idea.

Bring your own ammo. You won't be able to buy any. 150-200 rounds per division is fine. Keep any extra in your car if you think you might need more.

Food - last year burgers, and grilled chicken sandwiches, chips and drinks.

Sunscreen, and a hat are a must, and obviously eyes and ears. Wear
    the hat, and ears and eyes any time you are even remotely near the firing lines.

A holster that can carry the gun with the slide open as required, or a gun case/rug.

4 magazines - so you don't have to reload at the stages while shooting.

A bag to carry all this in.

Your sense of humor.