Glock Talk banner

What to do with spent primers

2915 Views 22 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Colorado4Wheel
I started saving my spent primers when I moved my load lab into the house a few years ago. Well the container finally got full. Now I gotta get me a bigger container or another one to add. Bathroom scales says 9 lbs.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· NRA Life Member
75,795 Posts
I throw them in the trash. Do they have any value?

· Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Recycle them. I give them to my dad, along with junk brass I can't reload every few years, and he gets a small chunk of cash.

A quick Google search is showing the price at about $.60 per pound. In order to make it worth it, you do need to accumulate a bit. Also, you need to watch the market, which is why I let Dad take care of it, because he waits until the price is up.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
I de-prime on a SS LEE press - when the plastic tube gets full, I toss them into a zip lock baggie and put them out with the trash on the trash pick up day.

No worth it to me to save the stuff, perhaps to someone else it is, just not to me.

· Registered
106 Posts
I started saving my spent primers when I moved my load lab into the house a few years ago. Well the container finally got full. Now I gotta get me a bigger container or another one to add. Bathroom scales says 9 lbs.
View attachment 254861
So I am not the only one doing something like this. I started putting mine in empty olive jars back in the early 70's when I started reloading. no special reason, just when I look at them it gives me an idea of how much I shoot and have reloaded.
Barry

· Registered
2,316 Posts
So I am not the only one doing something like this. I started putting mine in empty olive jars back in the early 70's when I started reloading. no special reason, just when I look at them it gives me an idea of how much I shoot and have reloaded.
Barry
Since the 70's! Now you might think about cashing all those in. Think of all the extra room you'll have, and with the extra $$$ you can buy more bullets & powder... maybe even more primers. Just kidding a bit, but just a bit, seriously think about it.

· Registered
1,168 Posts
Barry
if you do decide to recycle them, don't say how old they are or they may refuse them as they may think they have some dangerous elements in them like asbestos or kryptonite

· Registered
8,345 Posts
I de-prime on a SS LEE press - when the plastic tube gets full, I toss them into a zip lock baggie and put them out with the trash on the trash pick up day.

No worth it to me to save the stuff, perhaps to someone else it is, just not to me.
same, it's fun dumping that full tube into the trash :broccoli:

· Registered
2,395 Posts
Always thought this as justification to buy a blunderbuss. Complete in home recycling....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.