close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What to do with Coyotes

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Z34Lee, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Z34Lee

Z34Lee Rush is Right!

I've been wanting to go coyote hunting for some time now, considering that my friend's hunting land is infested with them. We use this land to hunt just about everything that there is a season for, but the coyote population is damaging and we need to thin it down. While we would like to mount a couple, I would feel a bit bad about just killing them and leaving them. Is it worth having the hides tanned or anything like that?

2. tjpet

tjpet

There's no money in coyotes right now. Just let them lay where clipped. Something will eat them or they'll turn to fertilizer.

3. jamieray

jamieray

bait for the rest of em

4. TEAK

TEAK 1*

HAVE IT STUFFED;f

5. accrarms

accrarms Tupperware Kid

Skin and stretch the hide and have it made into a blanket. Nice for those cold nights. Why waste a natural resource. But do it in the winter when there at full pelt. Just a thought.

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

in my opinion coyotes are too good of an adversary to just be left in the field. but that's just my opinion and i don't look down on anyone who does different.

i take the pelt and claws. i'm not sure what i'm going to do with the pelts i've got. there's not any real money in coyote pelts, so i'm going to make something out of them. what i don't know yet. probably a blanket and maybe a coat. the claws i trade to a lady who uses them in native american jewelry for stones my finace uses in her jewlery. i've also taken a few skulls. most i've given aways but i've kept a few.

ask around or post an ad on a bulletin board at the range or gunshop. you may not get much or any money for the pelts but, at least it's not going to waste.

7. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Call around to a couple of fur dealers/buyers or taxidermists in your local area. I was having the same problem (more with red fox than 'yotes), but I found a guy who would take either of them and barter them for tanned hides. It varies year-to-year, but in some years I could give him 3-4 dead fox, and would get a tanned red fox in return. Same with coyotes (usually 5-6 per hide, though).

The icing on the cake was that he DIDN'T WANT ME TO SKIN'EM; he wanted to do it HIMSELF (practice? didn't want me to mess it up? I dunno, I didn't argue). As I was living in an apartment at the time, it was a match made in heaven. I'd shoot'em, let them drip for awhile, put them in a plastic tub with a bunch of dry grass in the bottom (so any leftover drippings wouldn't mess up the pelt), and deliver them to him. After I had dropped-off the required number, he'd give me a tanned pelt.

With a little luck, you may find someone who'll do it for you, too.

8. Z34Lee

Z34Lee Rush is Right!

I wasn't looking to make any money off them, just wanting to see what use I could make of them. A blanket would be really cool, but I would have no idea how to go about doing this. I suppose I can always give my taxidermist a call and see what all he can do. I would just hate to see it go to waste. The only thing I shoot and let rot is groundhogs, and hell...the coyotes come along and eat those anyway.

9. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

You could use the pelts as wall hagings in the garage!

10. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Tastes like chicken? ;g

;f

11. glockster96

glockster96 Moderator Lifetime Member

That is just wrong.:)

I believe that in Kansas, the law states that if you are shooting them as varmints, you have to leave them lay. Trapping, etc. are different.

12. Guest

Mail to PETA. Better if wounded and angry when PETA member opens box.

Backcountry

13. Grumpy Gardener

Grumpy Gardener

mpol do you tan em on your own? I'd sure like some advice on tanning, or a good book if you can share it.

thanks in advance.

The Gardener

14. LovemyGlock's

LovemyGlock's

Mail to PETA, LOL I like that one.;f No but really, at least do something with them. If you shoot it, you should take it from the field is how I was raised. I think the blanket idea is awsome, but it would take a bunch for my king size bed.;a ;a

15. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

actually i don't. i hang and stretch them then take them to a local texadermy shop to get tanned.

i've never tanned hides myself, but my dad has and i'm taking some hides with me to OH in a few weeks so i can learn how. from what he says it's not that hard. i'll report in when i get back.

16. SteelGuitar

SteelGuitar ignorant bigot

when i was wasn't deployed yet i used to feed the coyote meat to the dogs. just put the meat in the oven. i used to cook it for about 2-3 hours on mid-heat and then cook it on the highest level for about 30 mins so all germs parasites etc were killed. makes great dog food for the dogs who chased them coyotes down. i used irish wolfhounds to hunt them yotes.