GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
I pulled out the beautiful chess board and set I bought back when Fisher played Spassky (same one they used in'72) and began to go through a tutorial book. I never caught on to this game very well, but I appreciate the set; it's magnificent! View attachment 875926
If you haven't yet, you might enjoy reading "Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How A Lone American Star Defeated the Soviet Chess Machine" by David Edmonds and John Eidinow.

Great book about the 72 match. The book isn't focused on chess, as much as it is on the battle and struggle of the key players of the match.

I watched the match on tv as a little kid. Everyone started playing then, it seems, even me.

I've played competitively. Great fun.

If ever looking for a book about chess itself, I like "My 60 memorable games, by Robert Fischer". Recent versions are algebraic notation, which I prefer. I think for many levels of players this is a good book, because Fischer really does a great job in his move by move analysis. Honestly better than any other author in taking the reader through high level moves. Not a "how to play" book, but rather a fabulous "why I made these moves" book. Play the moves on your board while reading it, and I bet you will gain insights. The kind of book I can say that about with any level of player, as long as you know how to follow moves from notation.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I got some parts cut. Everything from the scrap bin except 8” of 1/4” x 4” flat bar.

View attachment 876088
That looks great. You take your rocket stoves seriously.

When I thought about making one a couple years ago, I was going to go with this level of construction:

16-brick-rocket-stove.jpg

But then I realized I could save half the time by ordering one of these off Amazon:

Envirofit-G3300-portable-stove-orange.jpg

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Made my walk to stock tank 16 bass caught 2-3 about 4 # rest smaller never fired 1 shot I kept saying 5 more casts no fish and I will leave took G9mm and never fired it.

·
Registered
19,357 Posts
Wash day for most of the morning, even tossed in some rugs that had not been washed in who knows how long. Leftovers for dinner and then a short nap. Shot a few rounds out of the CZ 527 [22 Hornet] and picked up the mess. Leftovers for supper.

·
Pinky Out
59,212 Posts
That looks great. You take your rocket stoves seriously.

When I thought about making one a couple years ago, I was going to go with this level of construction:

View attachment 876144

But then I realized I could save half the time by ordering one of these off Amazon:

View attachment 876146
The top one was my original plan.
But I didn’t like the lack of ash clean out.
So I was going to elevate it and make an ash pan for the bottom.

Then thinking of loading up all the blocks, bricks, making the pan, toting all the stuff home, toting it all to the porch, assembling, modifying, assembling again, etc.....

Said to hell with it and I will just make one at the shop and bring it home. :wavey:

It’s stainless and will last forever.

·
Resident Misanthrope
455 Posts
Worked on cleaning up my gun room and leather working table. Sorting, packing stuff to move sell, or give away. Packed up radio gear and portable solar chargers.

Picked up some E-track and O-ring tie-downs for a cargo trailer that I ordered.

Stained a knife sheath, and ordered out some Cheese steaks.

·
Super Moderator
2,163 Posts
gunnerowner1 said:

4. Shooting range? Not on the weekend when every noobie is waving a gun around. I don't feel like getting shot today.

We lost a range officer a couple weekends ago here :(

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
The top one was my original plan.
But I didn’t like the lack of ash clean out.
So I was going to elevate it and make an ash pan for the bottom.

Then thinking of loading up all the blocks, bricks, making the pan, toting all the stuff home, toting it all to the porch, assembling, modifying, assembling again, etc.....

Said to hell with it and I will just make one at the shop and bring it home. :wavey:

It’s stainless and will last forever.
That will be awesome!

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
10,034 Posts
Took the dog for her normal A/M walk...then took a nice drive in the Mountains with my wife...beautiful day...kept thinking how blessed we are to be living here in this rural, uncrowded, conservative part of GA!...hope it remains this way for a few more years

21 - 32 of 32 Posts