What To Do If You Survived a Gunfight?, Philippine Setting

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by darwin25, Mar 18, 2005.

1. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

Your thoughts pls.

2. CarlosDJackal

CarlosDJackal

3. BinLurking

BinLurking Your Phone

4. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

Yup. But the thread has been closed by the mods because of the discussion of some illegal activities. And AFAIK, thjere's an old thread regarding the matter but I think it has been archived since by the mods. I just want to start a new more civil thread regarding the topic. I opened this thread in aid of the completion of Drafting of the BOG Code of Conduct regarding the subject matter.

5. Punisher_nbi45

Punisher_nbi45 R we der yet?

Based on interviews with different people involved in shootings (as well as some personal experiences, although I haven't really been in a gunfight myself), I'd say the first thing you should do is either:

a. if the person you shot is still alive, YOU bring him to the hospital and let the guard take note that you brought him in. If he is not, then try and cordon of the scene and secure any evidence if the shooting is defensive, i.e., the BG's gun, knife, etc. You don't have to take it, just make sure it stays where it is supposed to be. If you have a camera with you, take photographs if possible;

b. report the incident to the nearest police or authorities (the baranggay where the shooting took place will also do nicely. Make note of potential witnesses and bring along and ask an authority to come with you back to the scene;

c. immediately talk to a good lawyer. Remember your Constitutional rights so as you will not be harrassed by overzealous law enforcers.

In the aftermath of a shooting, it is imperative to establish that it was in self-defense and, therefore, justified. Be prepared for the legal s*#$%storm to follow after a shooting, even if in self-defense. There have been cases that burglars/robbers have sued their victims because they got shot in the act of robbing them in the first place.

Just my two cents!:cool:

6. brawnless

brawnless Junior Member

get a filipino lawyer. ;f

seriously, it would be of much help if lawyers and people who have experienced such an incident (first hand, second...) share their experiences, insights, theories. unfortunately, such a discussion could easily venture into legal grey areas without guidelines. perhaps, the common denominator to every shooting incident here is to have a good lawyer available.

ideally (for us gun owners),

we should already have (i'm still looking for one - pm me anytime) a good lawyer/s who is an expert on this field.

we should have reliable contacts who could come to the scene to assist in: (fellow bogs in the vicinity?)
    1.) accessing the situation
    2.) cordoning the area
    3.) bring wounded to hospital (we could be the one who is hit)
    4.) report incident to proper authorities and secure legal docs
    5.) calling our other contacts (relatives, friends) in case we can't

we can't have too much steps to follow because those could be forgotten before the adrenaline runs out. or we could miss out on something important (like a gunshot wound at the rear).

my 0.02

7. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

I don't know. This IS the Philippines. Check out darwin25's concern about "kuyog" mentality. My immediate plan of action is to bug out of the scene ASAP to avoid additional encounter with the BG's accomplices, which is a real possibility. I won't waste time bringing the BG(s) to the hospital.

The first people I'll call would be my relatives, then lawyer, then (depending on the lawyer's advice) political connections, if any, and then the police.

8. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

I just want to ask if the 117 PNP emergency number is not nationwide in scope. What about the 166 number that I often see near police precincts here in the province?

As for me, I've saved the contact numbers (direct lines) of all the police outposts from Urdaneta to Tarlac City in my cell phone, since I travel a lot at night and it can get pretty lonely on McArthur Highway sometimes, especially if one suffers the misfortune of car trouble or a vehicular accident.

9. eclipse1

eclipse1 mister mom

thank your maker

10. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

This is good. But this should be voluntary. We could come up with a list of volunteers but this should be done in private.

11. Vault Keeper

Vault Keeper

Since emergency numbers was mentioned, any cell phone user can dial 112 (even without a SIM card), even if the phone's key pad is locked.

Remember guys 112

Regards to all..

12. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

This is not working on my Cell. I use Globe and I am here in the Philippines. This call is not permitted was the prompt when dialled.

13. Vault Keeper

Vault Keeper

From what I know, regardless of your provider, this nimber will work. I even tried using it without a SIM card and it did. Whats the brand of your cellphone?

14. gillbates

gillbates

I think I saw an announcement somewhere that it was changed to 117

15. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

For those of you who may not have noticed it, attyjpl has posted a draft of the "What to do if you survived a gunfight" on page 3 of the thread on Drafting the BoG Code of Conduct. Your input regarding the draft will be highly appreciated.

16. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

I was reading the Inquirer last Monday and I came across an article on the Dial 117 emergency number, and a link to the Foundation for Crime Prevention, an organization that is promoting the responsible use of the 117 emergency hotline. Just FYI.

17. toxic

toxic

Go to church..
    Find another place to live.
    or kung matindi tindi nakalaban ko(from prominent/well known, well off family)..changing name will be appropriate.