What to do about the spare tire????

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Benzo, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Benzo

Benzo gold member

I have been working out for the last year fairly religiously. For some reason through workout and diet I just can't seem to trim my midsection. WTF, this is aggravating.

2. cop1215

cop1215 GLOCKS KICK ASS

cardio and cutting calories.....you simply have to do loads of carsio and cut your calories to where you are burning more calories per day than you take in.its a slow process and you will lose bodyfat everywhere on your body as well....it takes time,sit-ups wont do it either....run,walk,stairstep or something similar for at least one hour per day and cut your calories and no alcholic beverages....it will slowly start to come off....or you can go to the doctor and get lipo.

3. Benzo

Benzo gold member

thats an aweful lot of cardio. my only worry is it will affect my overall mass gain by cutting calories

4. rammie

rammie

I agree, it will take a lot of cardio and calorie reduction, but you can hold on to your muscle mass by being really tight with your diet and eating the right foods, i.e. protein and complex carbs, and separating cardio and weight workouts. Eat after lifting to help muscle growth. Might try cardio in the morning before eating, that burns the most calories. Also there are some natural supplements that might help (i've never used or known a user though) such as Ultra 90, supposedly helps with fat burning while maintaining muscle mass.

5. Jimmey

Jimmey

running in the morning burn fat.

6. DBradD

DBradD

I think exercise is great for health and well-being, but I really think diet is what gets the job done when it comes to losing fat.

Consider the arithmetic. You need to get rid of 3k-4k calories over time to get rid of a pound of fat, depending on who you believe. In very simplistic terms, say you have 500 calories/day fewer than you need, you might lose a pound of fat in 6-8 days. If you try to accomplish this calorie deficit using exercise, you're going to find it to be very difficult. For example, it takes 45 minutes of level 8 stairmaster to burn 500 calories and this must be done 7 days/week to maintain a 500 calories/day deficit over time. For most of us, this kind of pace is not realistic. You can cut 500 calories from your diet with no difficulty whatsoever, and keep this up as long as it takes. Obviously, combining diet with exercise is optimal. What I'm arguing is that exercise plays a relatively minor role when it comes to losing fat. Keeping it off and being healthy - I think it's a different story, but the topic is how to get rid of fat.

My experience makes this clear. I could stand to lose about 20 lbs. I started out at 201 and think I should be about 180. I've been in this situation before and tried to use running and/or weightlifting to get the job done. Every single time, this approach failed to drop the weight. It just takes too long and too much of a time commitment for me to keep it up because I'm very busy overall, like many people.

About a month ago, I decided to simply keep up my exercising and start counting calories. This is the first time I've ever really tried to pay attention to the calories in a detail-oriented way. My best estimate is that I need 2000 calories/day to maintain bodyweight. I cut it to 1500, being really careful to be efficient with the calories - lots of protein and no junk food. In a month, I've lost 15 lbs and am now 185 and about a belt loop and a half smaller. If I would've used exercise as the primary weapon, I'd never get the job done.

I don't know what you're doing, but I'd be willing to bet big money that more intense focus on the diet, even at the detriment of your exercise routine, would get rid of the fat.

Good luck.
    DBD

7. Benzo

Benzo gold member

Thanks for the help. I am on a good diet ( I hope). I keep my diet relatively high protein with a mix of carbs. I take in roughly 150 grams of protein and around 70 grams of carbs a day. I lift three times a week. I think I will start biking the days I'm not in the gym. Hopefully that will be suffice for cardio.

8. DBradD

DBradD

Seriously though, "I hope" isn't a good answer. That's what I thought also during several failed attempts at taking off the fat. It all changed when I started counting every single calorie. It's shocking how many extra calories sneak in there from many sources, for example condiments. Cardio won't get it done - been there, done that.

DBD

9. nognig

nognig

There isn't anything you can do to "spot reduce". If you want to lose excess fat around your midsection, you need to lose fat in general (by running a calorie deficit) and wait until your midsection gets to the way you want it.

One interesting thing I've noticed is your body doesn't shed excess fat in an even way. I've lost almost 30 lbs this past few months and 80% came off my stomach, with the remain 20% coming off everywhere else. Now I've stopped losing fat on my stomach and now my love handles are the only thing I'm losing. Weird.

NN