What to do about 1911 .22?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by rsxr22, Oct 8, 2010.

1. rsxr22

rsxr22

Im wanting to pick up some variation whether it be a conversion kit or a complete 1911 .22. Im not trying to drop a ton of money on it and thats why some of these new 1911 .22's are appealing to me. I have a Ruger 22/45 right now, but its time to phase it out. I bought it because it had the same grip angle as my 1911's, but i want something with the same functionality as my other guns.

So what should i do? Marvel kit for my TRP? Or just grab a .22 1911?

2. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

I've shot Quack's Marvel kit on his Wilson and it seemed pretty sweet. Everyone speaks very highly of them. May eventually grab one for my Brown.

3. rsxr22

rsxr22

i have read varying reviews and honestly am a bit skeptical. I have went through about 4 .22 pistols now of various makes looking for one that is religiously reliable. None so far obviously, but i have to say the GSG is catching my eye a bit. Anyone own one or have any feedback on them? I handled the Chiappa at the shop i work at and was not impressed in anyway shape or form

4. CMG

CMG

I have Kimber conversions in .22 and .17 and am quite pleased with both, enough that I gave each its own dedicated frame.

If you go with one of the new air-soft clones, the GSG seems to be the better pistol over the Chiappa. FWIW

Mine:

Kimber Rimfire Target .17 w/ Kimber frame
    [​IMG]

Kimber Rimfire Target .22 w/ Colt frame
    [​IMG]

5. Quack

Quack Rent this space

I like mine. i have probably close to 5000rds through it. the last time at the range i was having issues feeding, but i think that was due to the mags being filthy. as long as i'm shooting hi-velocity ammo (which is what Marvel recommends) it's all good.

[​IMG]

6. knedrgr

knedrgr

The ATI 1911 is nice. 80% of it is interchangeable with regular 1911 parts. And its a complete pistol vs a changeable slide. Read good reviews on the ATI pistol. I had a GSG-5PK pistol and liked it. But 22's are just picky in which types/brands will run with a particular gun.

7. okie

okie GT Mayor

I have a Kimber kit also. It is picky about the ammo it eats, it likes CCI Mini Mags and Aguila. It HATES the Remington value pack from Wally World, and the Federal value pack ,soso. It also doesn't lock back after the last round, but other than that it's awesome:thumbsup:

8. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

What about the Chiappa?

[​IMG]

9. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

I used to have a Llama model XV .22 pistol - it was like a 3/4 downsized 1911 and it was the best .22 I ever had. I loved it. I wished I would have never sold/traded that pistol. Hind sight is 20/20.

10. Quack

Quack Rent this space

one thing that seems to be common with the ATI GSG 1911-22 is that the barrel bushing seems to break. I believe that ATI has upgraded them now though. the Marvel kit keeps the barrel locked in place and does not touch the slide at all. also the grip screws and bushing's are different (smaller) on the ATI.

[​IMG]

and another:
    [​IMG]

11. rsxr22

rsxr22

i have heard comments about the barrel bushing as well. i have lots of spare 1911 parts lying around so changing stuff out wouldnt be a huge deal if i decide to go that route. Id rather have something as easy as a bushing fix compared to feeding issues

12. Quack

Quack Rent this space

there's also the rubber washer issue.