close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What to Carry While Camping or Hiking.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Sgt Tim USA, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Sgt Tim USA

Sgt Tim USA 1 Shot 1 Kill

What do you folks believe to be the best all around GLOCK pistol to take on camping and hiking trips?...and why. The comments will influence my next purchase. Does anybody know if you can get in any trouble carrying a handgun ( legally CCW ) in state parks. I live in PA and I can't seem to get a straight answer. ( Probably because PA gun laws are very vague. )..Thanks in advance;c

2. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

If you plan on getting a handgun for camping and hiking carry, no Glock would be an ideal choice. The .45 and 10mm won't have the power to stop a bear, or even a large cougar. I would suggest something along the lines of a 4" S&W .44 magnum.

3. SGT109FA

SGT109FA Eat this Osama

Dude ! Diffinitly go with a G23 and leave the wheel gun at home. Stuff some Hydra-Shok in the mags and your good to go. Its also easier to carry the G23...Good Luck!;c

4. Sierra

Sierra Millennium Member

Any firearm is better than no firearm.

5. mattyk6

mattyk6

I carry when camping for protection against the two-legged animals, more than the 4-legged variety. :)

6. Kcolg

Kcolg Millennium Member

If it had to be a glock pistol caliber then probably 10mm or 357 sig. Both have "good" power/penetration for semiauto. Depends on what I am preparing for or afraid of. As stated by mattyk6 I too am more concerned with bipeds than quadraped attacks. In that case any glock caliber will do the trick nicely.

7. buffalo soldier

buffalo soldier

Carry what you can shoot well. The .40s/w, so the M22 / M23, are more than enough for two legged encounters and most dangerous animals in North America.

IMHO, the 10mm round is almost ideal for back country excursions and will hold its own against everything in N. America, except large bear. If you're seriously worried about large bear, think scatter or long gun.

As great as the .44mag is, I prefer to leave the big, heavy wheel guns at home....considering six rounds and the weight, might as well carry a short, pistol grip scatter gun.

Buffalo

8. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

To each their own. And yes, I generally worry more about people than critters even when I leave the city. However, being 10 yards away from a (relatively speaking) small bear on a hiking trip a few years ago has thoroughly convinced me that the extra weight of a 3-4" .44 Magnum is worth it. I wouldn't trust any combat auto in the world to have stopped it. But as I said, to each their own.

9. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 SONS OF LIBERTY

I think if you were to search it out on this forum you would discover that there have been several black bears, hogs, and other conceivable creatures been had with a G20 10MM. Not good enough for grizzley but anything east of the Mississippi it can handle.

10. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

.40S&W, .45acp, or bettery yet a 10mm is your best bet in an auto.

Personally I would rather carry a .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, or .45 Colt revolver in bear country.

11. noway

noway

10mm can't go wrong with that or better yet a long gun in the shape of a 12ga shotgun. I know it's a non-glock weapon but hell it would sure kick a black bear ***.

12. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

What he said.

I will gladly carry (which I do) the extra weight for the extra fire power. I rarely need more that 1 shot to get the job done and when u bark a .44Mag at "most" threats, they do not hand around for too long.

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

For the Eastern US, I don't see anything wrong with 9mm. If you want .40, .45, 10mm, .41, .44, .454, then fine.

Carry what you like, what feels comfortable, and what you shoot well.

If you are going into bear country and plan on poking them with a sharp pointy stick, then no the 9mm won't do. Otherwise, you should be fine.

14. commander

commander

G20 w/CorBon Penetrators.

15. MCNETT

MCNETT Load Developer Lifetime Member

G20 will do what you need unless in Alaska.
    -Mike

16. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

A quality .357 revo is pretty tough to beat for just about anything, especially outdoors, but given the limitations of a sevice type auto such as the Glock, I'd choose the 10mm.

17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I agree with my friends here on the use of the 10mm, and the 44mag.

Buffalo Soldier said..(quote)..."Carry what you can shoot well. The .40s/w, so the M22 / M23, are more than enough for two legged encounters and most dangerous animals in North America.(end quote).

Sorry Buffalo, but i respectfuly disagree big time about a .40 cal being enough for most dangerous animals in N.A. :)

This simply is just not enough horse power for "dangerous Game."

Respectfully. :)

CanyonMan

18. Scoob

Scoob

If I had to carry a handgun it would be my G22 with 180gr FMJ. They're almost the same as 357mag hunting loads, but bigger and with more capacity. I would opt for my Marlin 44mag levergun in most cases though.

19. Guest

Get the G20 and 200grn. corbons. I carry one while backpacking in the wilderness of West Virginia and feel pretty safe. I tried the .44 mag route, but it was just too heavy.

As to carry in a state park, thats a big no no. An official told me it was ok and even encouraged me to carry in the wilderness but never in a state park. PA may be differnt, check with someone at the park H.Q.

20. buffalo soldier

buffalo soldier

Point well taken CanyonMan.....

My comment about the .40 cal stems from that fact that the majority of animals(excludig bear)I'd want firearm protection from; thin skinned loins, feral dogs, wolverines, anything rabid, that occasional killer rabbit, coyotes, etc., the .40cal can deal with. Granted it's not ideal, but I wouldn't purchase another firearm to compensate for it's short comings (short and weak);)

That being said, I don't own a .40cal! When out-of-doors, I carry a 9mm when people are the concern and G20 /10mm when four leggers might be about.

Buffalo