close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what times would be competitive???

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by CRUEL HAND LUKE, Jun 2, 2003.

1. CRUEL HAND LUKE

CRUEL HAND LUKE

Pardon my ignorance, but I've only shot in the GSSF indoor matches.What would be competitive times for the Plates,M,and 5 to glock? I'm not talking super human, because I'm sure the 13 second glock M runs are few and far between. I'm curious as to what a typical top 10 competitive run would be in each stage.I'm thinking about shooting in the Sep Atlanta(or close to) match and want to know what times it will take to finish well.Thanks for any info!! CRUEL HAND LUKE

2. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Luke, Go to www.gssfonline.com & take a look at match results for the particular match you are talking about. That will give you the best idea of results for your area. If you look at the results for some other places, you may find some interesting facts, though. e.g. some matches are very competitive & some like Salt Lake City & the one in Missouri are not as stiff. Anyway, all the info you need is on that website. Good luck & welcome to GSSF shooting. MLM

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Luke,

Mark has provided excellent advice. It is always wise to know your compeition. Printing out last year's results will be of help to you.

4. CRUEL HAND LUKE

CRUEL HAND LUKE

Thanks Mark!!!!!!!This is a big help. Now I'll be able to determine what kind of times a run on each stage SHOULD have to be by dividing the comb'd times by 3.This is most helpful.THANKS!!!!!!!!!CRUEL HAND LUKE

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Be sure to divide the plates times by four.;Q

6. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

off the top of my head - i think the top of B class generally runs somewhere from 140 to 160 seconds

try as hard as i might, i am usually either slightly better or a lot worse than that

the top of A? - i think you'll find that it is somewhere between 60 and 80 seconds

a while ago, i looked at 5 or 6 matches and broke down the average times and penalties for A and B (and C) classes...

the one thing that i remember most was the fact that in the 5tg and the glock M....
    that below some point (somewhere near the bottom of A class and the top of B class) almost EVERY shooter had more seconds of penalty time than their actual raw time (again - this applies to the 5tg and glock M only).

in other words, you shot the M in 32.67 seconds (3 - 10.89 second runs), but added 34 seconds to that time (because of misses, and D's & C's)

as i see it - the single biggest thing that separates the average A shooter from the average B shooter, (besides skill, talent, practice, etc) is accuracy....

the A shooters are only a little faster, but a lot more accurate

all of this is academic - it doesnt matter if you shoot a 59, a 99, or a 299 - when you come out for your first match you will have a lot of fun.

i think i was trying to make some point along the way here but i just realized that i am really tired..... so, i give up

im going to bed now

goodnite

i may try to edit this and make it make some sense out of it tomorrow

7. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

one more thing i forgot to add....

none of this matters if you are at the top of A,

but for all of us in B and below....

when you are comparing the big match (conyers) where the amateur class is split 6 ways to the smaller ones (say anderson or statesville or ???) where the amateur class is split 3 ways

remember that

a top ten A class finish in a 6 way split (at conyers) is roughly the same as a top ten A class finish in a 3 way (at statesville)

a top ten C class finish in a 6 way split is the same as a top ten B class finish in a 3 way

likewise, a top ten E class in a 6 way is equal to a top ten C class in a 3 way

all of this is assuming that you have similar distributions of various shooter skill levels at each match..... (which - as stated by mark is not a good assumption - you would have more top notch shooters at conyers, and more people would be better prepared for conyers than a smaller match)

now im really tired

goodnight

8. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

When I decided to slow down and shoot straighter I knocked 30 seconds off my average times.

Now I need to learn how to shoot faster and retain the accuracy to get to the next level. :)

Practice Practice... :)

9. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

If this helps...

I view the GSSF matches as a bullseye match that happens to have a clock running.

Ignore speed...go for accuracy, accuracy, accuracy.

Any miss outside the A-ring cost big time.

10. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

You can slice and dice numbers a million (hmmm, that's interesting, using numbers to count how we are using numbers.... it's late time to go to sleep!) ways...

Here's another:

I've noticed that the 90 second barrier hits about the 5th highest shooter in the Am/Civ and Comp classes and around the 10th shooter at the Meister and Unlimited classes. That's fairly consistent through all the match data I've looked through (within one or two).

Better classes have "mo bettah shootahs".